How well does your CI actually work?

How much can you hear with your CI?

• Total voters

dreama

Reaction score
How well does your CI actually work? Can you hear on the phone? or in noisy environments or do you just get environmental noises which gives you extra help with lip reading?
(I know this is the 2nd time I posted this but I meant to have a poll with it and for some reason that didn't happen. Why I'm trying again)

This is already an excellent thread, dreama. Looking forward to seeing the results.

I thought I couldn't vote on the poll but now got it.

I'm one of those who can listen without lipreading. So, I get a lot out of my CI.

I thought I couldn't vote on the poll but now got it.

I'm one of those who can listen without lipreading. So, I get a lot out of my CI.

Thanks for taking part in my poll. That's interesting that you manage so well with CI. I think I remember you saying before you were born HOH or severely deaf?

I can hear some while not lipreading. It depends on the person and how well I'm hearing that day. Im only voting for one because my option is not available, Good thread Dreama!!

I can do things with my CI that I never could do with my hearing aids. However, I wish that there was an option for me to chose I can understand speech without lipreading some of the time.

While I can understand most people without lipreading, if I hear a noise that distracts me, it will become much harder for me to understand them.

If I have to deal with people in a noisy situation or if they speak very very rapidly they will be hard for me to understand.

I can do things with my CI that I never could do with my hearing aids. However, I wish that there was an option for me to chose I can understand speech without lipreading some of the time.

While I can understand most people without lipreading, if I hear a noise that distracts me, it will become much harder for me to understand them.

If I have to deal with people in a noisy situation or if they speak very very rapidly they will be hard for me to understand.

I'm exactly the same deafskeptic!

Just after 2 years, I am at the point I can understand without lip reading. I still lipread at times. Most of the things like lipreading, caption, and looking around are just habit. I have to teach myself how to do things without visual cues.

Thanks for getting back to me about this Deafskeptic,deaflissa, and Vallee.

I'm most interested in people who are born HOH/severely deaf with some useful hearing and how much they are likely to get out of CI.
There are a couple of CI users in the book I am writing.

Liza Bronze is born severely deaf: 90 db loss, She can benifit from HA but since everyone in her village can sign she doesn't bother much. Gets transfered to oral programme age 9 where she lipread with cued speech. She uses HA full time after that. Gets a CI age 18. Can understand speech with use of lipreading. She eventually goes bilateral after suffering from Glaucoma (sight deteriates so more need for hearing).

Nadia: Implanted age 2. Can hear in most environments but also uses sign language too. No pressure. She lives with Liza who also wears CI so expectations are realistic. Then her mother reclaims her and she is made only to use oral only. Her mother won't accept her deafness at all and gets angry when she fails to hear. For that reason she gets sick of her CI and stops wanting to wear it. When the internal part stops working she does not have it replaced.

Thanks for taking part in my poll. That's interesting that you manage so well with CI. I think I remember you saying before you were born HOH or severely deaf?

That is correct I was diagnosed as severely deaf. I had a HA since 3.

Suggestion- why not consider having people include the particular brands in the poll? It would also provide a nice gauge for others to see how well people are able to do with a specific brand.

In quiet environments, I hear really well with most people. In noisy environments I don't do as well and lipread often. When I'm driving and have the radio on, usually I can get the words and sometimes understand what's going on. Otherwise I drive without the radio on.

Miss Kat is not lipreading most of the time, but she does when things are very noisey.

I was born with moderate loss (50 db) until age 17. The CI sound much better and clearer than hearing aid at moderate loss of 50 db.
I didn't vote because there wasn't option that fit me (I can't lipread at all without CI, but I can't understand whole thing by just listening no visual cues so I use ci for sound to listen and that helped me to be able to lipread some so its both that make me an successful user (79% on sentence test at 3 month post activation with both lipreading and listening)

I am not going to vote right now. My activate appointment tomorrow at 1 clock. I will answer the question next month. It take me a while to learn listen a sound. I don't think I will able to speak on the cellphone yet. But i will try to cellphone for test to see i can understand or not. I will come back and vote it later.

I've only been switched on for the last 3 weeks and can say that it's way better than my HA's much to my surprise, no more muffled sounds and certain sounds being not there. I'm beginning to find that I can understand my colleagues without having to concentrate so hard and can expect that to increase over time to the point where I do not need have to lipread in quiet environments. Noisy environments will be the next challenge for lipreading. I can pretty identify environmental sounds easily.

I can see the attraction for having another poll for CI brands but none of the CI users have experience of all CI brands as it would require successive surgeries as I'm far aware of. And again each brand has their own plus and minus points and some may suit certain hearing loss better than the other... Thats my halfpenny's worth :dunno:

I was born hearing but then lost my hearing at the age of 3,
with my implant i can hear pretty good. In most environments I can hear people talking while without having to lipread, other times i would need to lipread. Especially in really loud noises like the cafeteria at school for example. And also for band. I'm going to be outside alot in the marching season so that can be an advantage for me to not be able to understand people outside.

That has happened a lot last season for my first band season in my rookie year last year. But I managed to learn some new tricks to figure out how to hear good and better with my cochlear implant. But overall my implant has helped me so much and helped me become a better person to learn how to hear well in situations where you desperately might need it.

Back