how "voice-off" are you?

marcyp06

Reaction score
I have been part of the Deaf community in my town for a couple years now and have no trouvles communicating. Many people here speak vocally as well as sign and some do not. But even those who do no voice still vocalize sound (for lack of a better term). Especially when laughing or excitedly telling a story. However I met a woman recently that is COMPLETELY voice off, I've never hear her utter a sound. I'm curious for those who are voice-off, what does that mean to you?

I am a late-deafened oral deaf (I've been a part of the Deaf Community my whole life ironically). However, recently I've been deciding to slowly become voice off. I never want to lose my ability to speak because people tell me all the time how great I still sound. For me, it's more of a comfort issue. I'm not comfortable using my voice at all. Basically, I'm completely voice-off in public places such as the grocery store (no sound at all). When I'm in a semi-public area like at a friends house where there are lots of people, I am voice-off but not completely. I don't speak, but I do laugh and stuff. When I'm at my own apartment with certain people, I still speak. There are few people I vocally speak with now, but there are some.

I am a late-deafened oral deaf (I've been a part of the Deaf Community my whole life ironically). However, recently I've been deciding to slowly become voice off. I never want to lose my ability to speak because people tell me all the time how great I still sound. For me, it's more of a comfort issue. I'm not comfortable using my voice at all. Basically, I'm completely voice-off in public places such as the grocery store (no sound at all). When I'm in a semi-public area like at a friends house where there are lots of people, I am voice-off but not completely. I don't speak, but I do laugh and stuff. When I'm at my own apartment with certain people, I still speak. There are few people I vocally speak with now, but there are some.

I am exactly the same, although I am getting less confident at friends houses. I am much more comfortable with deaf friends than hearing ones.

I want to be voice-off as much as possible. But I am totally immersed in a hearing environment, with family and friends who all are used to me using my voice. So it is a gradually process for me. But I am going to plan a strategy similar to what you have done Antropomorphic, with being voice off, or voice on for different situations. Then take it from there. The more voice off the better, yet there will be times voice-on will be better suited due to work situations. (I am still waiting for some tips from PFH :P ) Thank you for sharing that.

I am completely voice off in public places and most hearing people. I do speak to some hearing people, usually at my work becuase they are making effort to learn sign and taking course so it only fair I speak to them and I do sign voice off to them as well for them to practice with me.

Do you ever slip and say something or laugh out loud? I imagine it being hard if you once used your voice frequently and then stopped. Honestly I'm just curious because as I said there are very few people in my community who dont , for lack of a better term, vocally produce sound when they are signing (whether that be speaking or just sounds). So the absolute silence is something new for me to get used to!
I don't voice words when I sign but I do still find myself expressing sounds.

I want to be voice-off as much as possible. But I am totally immersed in a hearing environment, with family and friends who all are used to me using my voice. So it is a gradually process for me. But I am going to plan a strategy similar to what you have done Antropomorphic, with being voice off, or voice on for different situations. Then take it from there. The more voice off the better, yet there will be times voice-on will be better suited due to work situations. (I am still waiting for some tips from PFH :P ) Thank you for sharing that.

I'm pretty much living in a hearing world as well. I mean, I grew up in the deaf community, and am slightly immersed in it still. However, for the most part, I am the deaf girl in a hearing world. I am lucky enough to have a few friends learning sign for me so I do sign with those friends. The main time I voice are when I'm comfortable with someone, or an emergency of course. I've just found communication is much easier when your not the only one having to work at it. Even though it may take a bit longer, I know I'm understanding things better when it's written or signed than if I lipread everything.

Do you ever slip and say something or laugh out loud? I imagine it being hard if you once used your voice frequently and then stopped. Honestly I'm just curious because as I said there are very few people in my community who dont , for lack of a better term, vocally produce sound when they are signing (whether that be speaking or just sounds). So the absolute silence is something new for me to get used to!
I don't voice words when I sign but I do still find myself expressing sounds.

For me, becoming voice-off it's the conscious decision. The conscious decision for me if trying to stay voice-on. I don't slip because being voice-off comes more naturally to me than speaking. So for me, my 'slip' is when I forget to speak and strictly sign to someone forgetting they don't know any sign. :giggle:

voice off is hard for me at times, but i still manage to do it with my friends, depending if they used their voices or not.

I born deaf and I have always used my voices as I signed them especially ASL. It is very awkward for me to have my voice off to sign to deaf people even though they can't hear which is a pointless but I couldn't help it. I couldn't do it. I learned how to speech in a properly way by a speech therapist during my school years since I was a baby.

I did not interacted with deaf kids until in my pre-teen that I went to a deaf camp for a few years. It was a great experience.

I have my own 2 kids who is hearing so I used ASL and voices both at a same time to communicate with them.

I am voice off about 90% of the time. I use my voice when communicating with my hearing hubby but I should be voice off with him anyway. LOL!

Back