How true is your "loyalty" to deaf-world

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh ok.. I was just trying to point out why deaf people prefer to marry someone with the same value as they do. Afterall kokonut turns me off at time. Sorry, kokonut, no offense :)
I just tend to depict him as..

Ah. I have him on ignore.
.. as coocoo and a nut.

No offense, that's his nick right?

Come on you guys, knock it off; he has just as much right as you to be here. I don't see him talking trash like you do.....

My bad, I humbly apologize in the error of my character. That's a good idea, Mrs. Bucket.
smile.png

Will bow on my way out.

I was making a point. I don't think Kokonut is interested in marrying someone is very much in the deafhood. I know it turn him off.

I was making a point. I don't think Kokonut is interested in marrying someone is very much in the deafhood. I know it turn him off.

What does "deafhood" has to do with this? Or about marrying? Or about my wife? Care to elaborate? Or would it be better to not talk more about this?

I mean having the same value. You often disagree with Deafhood unless I am wrong. And thought the whole tread was about deaf intermarrying. You married your wife probably because you two share the same value that is important to you.

Yeah, sure. Wait until she sheds all of her clothes for you and all logic gets thrown out the window and you wouldn't care how she communicates.

Been there, done that; what a miserable experience.

A one-way relationship that revolves only around the bed sucks.

I encourage you to read this book & take the Deaf Culture course as those two go hand in hand.

I cannot stress the emphasis of my sentence here, please read this book as "The Deaf World" as a lot of factual issues and factual stories have happened.

It is documented without bias as well, now I cannot state this because Ben Bahan is a CODA. Both his parents are Deaf. Harlan Lane's background is neurolinguistics & focusing on Deaf people and ASL. Harlan Lane has written several successful Deaf books as well as scholarly articles.

Robert Hoffmeister is an Associate Professor of Education at Boston University. His field focuses on ASL; linguistics & acquisition.

I share my perspective here in this thread however I had to hold myself back, very hard, so I wouldn't pre-set this thread with my own bias.

Naturally it is hard. I already come with a set of pre-conceived notions of what my Deaf World is. I don't deny it. Growing up, I thought the world was a Deaf World, people signed and everyone was Deaf. Everyone was the same until that was shattered.

Sorry about deleting the rest of the post, but I am only interested in replying to the above.

I've read the book "Journey into the Deaf-World" more than once; several times in fact since I received it in 2005. Deaf culture courses? Took it twice between then and 2008. Both classes were extremely different in perspectives, despite covering the same materials; the instructors had completely different opinions and presentations of what they felt what the Deaf-World and its culture is all about.

But... however to say "without bias"... that is kind of a problem. There is no such thing as unbiased sources from an anthropologist's, a historian's or a sociologist's point of view. Everything man produced has an underlying bias.

Yes, it may be factual, but whose facts are they? And that's something that every scholarly student should keep in mind. Creds are nice, but they can only go far and they don't always necessarily stand up when other people challenge their works.

I mean having the same value. You often disagree with Deafhood unless I am wrong. And thought the whole tread was about deaf intermarrying. You married your wife probably because you two share the same value that is important to you.

I beg your pardon, A?

I encourage you to be careful when you make an assumption about another member's personal life.

Kokonut's personal life is his business. What he does is at his own discretion; he doesn't need to explain to you.

It is not about Deafhood or Deaf intermarriages.

This is about privacy; respect it.

Sorry about deleting the rest of the post, but I am only interested in replying to the above.

I've read the book "Journey into the Deaf-World" more than once; several times in fact since I received it in 2005. Deaf culture courses? Took it twice between then and 2008. Both classes were extremely different in perspectives, despite covering the same materials; the instructors had completely different opinions and presentations of what they felt what the Deaf-World and its culture is all about.

But... however to say "without bias"... that is kind of a problem. There is no such thing as unbiased sources from an anthropologist's, a historian's or a sociologist's point of view. Everything man produced has an underlying bias.

Yes, it may be factual, but whose facts are they? And that's something that every scholarly student should keep in mind. Creds are nice, but they can only go far and they don't always necessarily stand up when other people challenge their works.

Smile, souggy.

Not a problem. I can relate with you about this one.

To be without bias is to be without emotion, IMHO.

You mentioned about the two different instructors for the same course, I went through this same experience for another course. My former professor shared his similar sentiments as well; even professors struggle with being professional and not sharing bias. It is just impossible.

I did not want to get in his business nor I care. He asked what I mean.. and didn't even bring up his wife. He did. I just don't think people really marry other people if they can't stand each other's values and viewpoints. A feminist looking for mate would not be interested in marrying a man who think a women's place is at home.

I beg your pardon, A?

I encourage you to be careful when you make an assumption about another member's personal life.

Kokonut's personal life is his business. What he does is at his own discretion; he doesn't need to explain to you.

It is not about Deafhood or Deaf intermarriages.

This is about privacy; respect it.

I'm impressed, Mrs B!! That compels me to say, for me personally, the image of a cocoonish, collective life sends shudders through every fiber of my being! As much as I love the deaf, what I'm seeing frothing forth from the extreme end is truly scary.

Mod note:

Rules states:

3.) NO TROLLING. A troll is someone who provokes members into flaming discussions by posting outrageous messages, and usually ends with name callings and flame wars.

9.) No bashing, flaming or harassing other members. Period.

Even though we support freedom of speech, show some respect, use common sense, and keep an open mind when participating in discussions.

This will be a last warning to be given... next time there will be consequences.

If any of you members do not like to read his/her posts/threads. Use the ignore features... it is the best tool any of you have. Use them and leave a certain member alone. Enough is enough already.

Thank you!

On a final note, this thread is now locked. :locked:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back