How to use computer to talk to relay service?

peternagy

Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to use my computer and internal PCI card modem to communicate to relay service. I am using Windows HyperTerminal. I am able to make a connection and I can read what the operator is typing but I cannot read what I am typing (echo). Anyone know how to get the echo to work?

I have a TDD but it's very old and unreliable.

Thanks,
Peter

Why not just use an online relay service? IP-Relay is accessable simply by visiting their website at http://www.ip-relay.com/javelinLight.jsp or by sending an Instant Message to myiprelay, using AOL Instant Messenger. (Not to say there aren't other great services).

I'm curious are you referring to connecting to relay from your computer using an ASCII connection?

Good idea. I'll try the online relay service. I also noticed i711.com. Would this work as well or is ip-relay.com better?

Yes, I was refering to ASCII connection.

Thanks,
Peter

Its really not possible to determine which online relay service offers better service, because each operator is individual and will offer different quality of service. There is a site Nesmuth was boasting about a week or so ago at http://www.relayreview.com that compares different services and allows different reviews. Personally, I think the site is a bad idea, because again, each individual operator is different. Best thing to do is try both services and see which you like better.

I wish I could figure out ASCII. I love these calls! Tthe connection is so much smoother and the conversation is almost real time.

I finally figured it out. I tested it by calling 711 directly using HyperTerminal and the operator and I finally could read each other.

If you want to try it yourself using Windows XP HyperTerminal, here is the step by step procedure:

1) Start HyperTerminal
2) Enter any name, I call it "TTY", then click on OK button.
3) Enter phone number (not necessary), then click on OK button.
4) Click on "Modify" button.
5) Click on "Settings" tab,
6) In Emulation pull down menu, select "TTY".
7) Click on "ASCII Setup" button.
8) Make sure "Send line ends with line feeds" is checked.
9) Make sure "Echo typed characters locally" is checked.
10) Click on OK button.
11) Click on OK button.

Enter phone number you want to call directly. You can test by dialing 711. Start dialing.

This is useful if I want to call directly like my relative or credit card company instead of using relay service. This is much better than using single line display TDD like I have.

Good luck.

Peter

peternagy said:
I finally figured it out. I tested it by calling 711 directly using HyperTerminal and the operator and I finally could read each other.

If you want to try it yourself using Windows XP HyperTerminal, here is the step by step procedure:

1) Start HyperTerminal
2) Enter any name, I call it "TTY", then click on OK button.
3) Enter phone number (not necessary), then click on OK button.
4) Click on "Modify" button.
5) Click on "Settings" tab,
6) In Emulation pull down menu, select "TTY".
7) Click on "ASCII Setup" button.
8) Make sure "Send line ends with line feeds" is checked.
9) Make sure "Echo typed characters locally" is checked.
10) Click on OK button.
11) Click on OK button.

Enter phone number you want to call directly. You can test by dialing 711. Start dialing.

This is useful if I want to call directly like my relative or credit card company instead of using relay service. This is much better than using single line display TDD like I have.

Good luck.

Peter
i never thought of that before! I don't have 56k, however when I am in college, my new laptop will come with both ethernet and 56k.

For regular desktop PC, US Robotics modem PCI card cost $40 (retail store) or less (on-line). Make sure the modem uses V.92 (not V.90) technology. It's noticable faster than V.90 or older modems when surfing the net.

Back