How to sign "tatoo" ?

If I'm not spelling that word, what I do is make a form with the thumb and first finger...like your'e gonna sign "write", except you then make a stacatto motion on a part of the anatomy (usually the upper arm) that was tattooed or to the specific area if it's known where.....

That is my sign as well. Your hand forms a gun and you shoot tiny "bullets" in a small area. (Or like you're stuttering the sign for COCA-COLA.) I think the signer on ASLPRO took the idea of the tattoo needle too literally as even though the ink is "needled" under the skin, I would definitely be totally confused by what looks like someone sewing a picture onto their sleeve.

That is my sign as well. Your hand forms a gun and you shoot tiny "bullets" in a small area. (Or like you're stuttering the sign for COCA-COLA.) I think the signer on ASLPRO took the idea of the tattoo needle too literally as even though the ink is "needled" under the skin, I would definitely be totally confused by what looks like someone sewing a picture onto their sleeve.
Maybe she hasn't watched Miami Ink. :lol:

Huh interesting cuz all my friend (we grew up tog from kindergarden to graduation in oregon) we all use sign for tattoo is finger shape like h and sweep across bicep sorta same sign as label but on bicep. Interesting to see how diff sign are

Huh interesting cuz all my friend (we grew up tog from kindergarden to graduation in oregon) we all use sign for tattoo is finger shape like h and sweep across bicep sorta same sign as label but on bicep. Interesting to see how diff sign are

I agree..it's always interesting to see the different regionalities in the signs. I've even noticed some small differences in age groups.

Sign f on the palm, like you would when you sign picture with a Big C .... just use an f instead, and then point to where the tatoo is. If there is no tatoo then just make up a place, like point to your hand or arm, whatever. Actually put your index finger on the spot though. That is not a sign by the way as there is no sign for tatoo, but that is how you would sign tatoo. You can look up tatoo on aslpro.com if you want a visual.

Maybe she hasn't watched Miami Ink. :lol:

:lol:

I would sign in the same manner, but more of in a quick succession, also, if one has a visible tattoo, pointing to that could suffice as well. (ha, no need to point to those that are not conspicuously placed tattoos! :lol:)

~RR

I've always used something like "hospital" but made with a T, or is it T in a circle on the arm...I'm not sure now! Pretty sure I always spell it the first time, then use the T sign after. I suppose this is rather Englishy of me. :whistle:

I fingerspell Tattoo .. then with F handshape "tattoo" my upper arm a few times

Back