How to sign "size" and "inch"?

i'm practicing numbers in ASL.. i'm little gobsmacked. it's little tricky since I sign with my left. can i use pointy + middle + ring for "3" ? I see that instructor uses thumb instead of ring.

No, that is "6'

No, that is "6'

6 is when your palm is face to somebody but I guess it could be confusing even when I make 3 with my palm facing toward my face. I guess I better get used to it :mad2:

my hands are inflexible due to prolonged period of non-ASL :mad2: My pinky sticks out when making K sign - making it looks like SHOCKER sign. :Oops:

6 is when your palm is face to somebody but I guess it could be confusing even when I make 3 with my palm facing toward my face. I guess I better get used to it :mad2:

my hands are inflexible due to prolonged period of non-ASL :mad2: My pinky sticks out when making K sign - making it looks like SHOCKER sign. :Oops:

I mean pointer, middle, and fourth finger say "six" "Three" is thumb, first and middle fingers.

A handy number chart.

istockphoto_2769918_american_sign_language_numbers.jpg

you better correct this guy! I was viewing this clip and he had 1-5 with palm facing toward his face.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfeDNoHYz90]YouTube - American Sign Language Numbers (1-20)[/ame]

No, that is right. I was trying to tell you the difference between three and six.

The chart turns it to beginners so they can see how the fingers go.

No, that is right. I was trying to tell you the difference between three and six.

The chart turns it to beginners so they can see how the fingers go.

:dizzy: lol I get it now.

so when you sign numbers your palm is facing you?

The cardinal numbers face you. Here is a set of rules.
Numbers

Another mistake made by people faithfully following the pictures in most illustrations of the ASL fingerspelling alphabet is the signing of the cardinal numbers 1 - 5 with the palm facing out. The cardinal numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 should be signed palm in (towards the signer). This is in contrast with the cardinal numbers 6-9 which should be produced with the palm turned to face the person being addressed.

As with the letter O, the zero should not be turned to the side, but shown palm facing forward.

This applies only to the cardinal numbers however. Using numbers in other situations, such as with for showing the digits of the time for example, has different rules. When signing the time, the numbers are always facing the person being addressed, even the numbers one through five. Other signing situations involving numbers have their own norms that must be learned on a case by case basis.

Yes, there is a lot more to signing numbers. They are signed differently for times, scores, addresses, money, fractions, classifiers, and competition placement. I took an entire course on just numbers and fingerspelling.

Our text book was Numbering in American Sign Language, Number Signs for Everyone by Dawn Sign Press. If you can get a copy of that book it might answer a lot of questions.

Of course, nothing beats the "hands on" expertise of Lady Botts! :P

Yes, there is a lot more to signing numbers. They are signed differently for times, scores, addresses, money, fractions, classifiers, and competition placement. I took an entire course on just numbers and fingerspelling.

Our text book was Numbering in American Sign Language, Number Signs for Everyone by Dawn Sign Press. If you can get a copy of that book it might answer a lot of questions.

Of course, nothing beats the "hands on" expertise of Lady Botts! :P

:-o:dizzy:

Back