How to sign "plastic"

Plastic is not a Local sign or a variant of another sign.

There are variations of certain signs, especially regionally. We've all talked about that in other threads. I can go to NY and see a sign used differently there than I would here in MN or in CA.

From the old thread Reba posted, Brian, Alley Cat and Chevy57 , all from the Midwest, use the above described sign, which is different from the one I described, but shows there are at least a couple of signs accepted for "plastic " in the Midwest.

I've seen that one before but I think its used in different context.

One problem with assigning a conceptually accurate sign to "plastic" is that there are different kinds of plastic.

The adjective plastic means something that is pliable, so the concept would be flexibility.

However, some plastic products are hard, which is probably why SigningSavvy uses the GLASS concept.

Then you have a plastic bag, as in "paper or plastic?" which is a soft product.

For accuracy, spelling is probably the best way to go.

Of course, if a common sign for PLASTIC is accepted and used within my local community then I would go with it.

However, if the sign is the result of SEE creativity by a hearing teacher or terp, I would be wary of it.

Just my 2 cents. :)

I bring the reusable bags with me. Less confusion :D

There are variations of certain signs, especially regionally. We've all talked about that in other threads. I can go to NY and see a sign used differently there than I would here in MN or in CA.

Yes, but these so called variants for plastic are not variants really they are just different signs that could mean plastic (depending on context of course). See my post about tooth for an example of that.

Variants are more like signs that are the same but are just signed slightly different. Like, for example, how I sign plastic. That is exactly the same as the sign for plastic with the P except that I am not using the letter P. That is a variant.

That's also the sign for tooth and teeth are repaired with plastic. The white fillings are a composite, a synthetic resin.
So it's a relatively new use for that sign?

For TEETH, we don't tap the teeth here but run the X-hand from left to right across the teeth.

Yes, but these so called variants for plastic are not variants really they are just different signs that could mean plastic (depending on context of course). See my post about tooth for an example of that.

Variants are more like signs that are the same but are just signed slightly different. Like, for example, how I sign plastic. That is exactly the same as the sign for plastic with the P except that I am not using the letter P. That is a variant.

And that is exactly what I said.

And, in my previous post, I was talking about the same word, same context, and yet still a different sign based on region. I have friends all across the country, I can verify I have seen different signs for the exact same word, exact same context. Even others here have said the same.

So it's a relatively new use for that sign?

For TEETH, we don't tap the teeth here but run the X-hand from left to right across the teeth.

I put my index finger, letter X, on my tooth when I am signing tooth. Running your finger across your teeth is the plural, teeth.

Check out ASL Browser

Look at the sign for tooth there. Its exactly what I said it is.

Reba, I am surprised you do not know this. This is pretty basic American Sign Language stuff.

I put my index finger, letter X, on my tooth when I am signing tooth. Running your finger across your teeth is the plural, teeth.

Check out ASL Browser

Look at the sign for tooth there. Its exactly what I said it is.
:confused: That's exactly the same as what I described for TEETH, so what is the problem?

Reba, I am surprised you do not know this. This is pretty basic American Sign Language stuff.
I know the sign for TOOTH and for GLASS. I've never seen the sign for plastic being similar to the one for TOOTH, especially since white composite fillings are a fairly recent innovation over silver amalgam as far as most common use. I don't see the connection between fillings and a sign for plastic.

Last edited:
I do with ASL as I do with English and Spanish. I am aware that "I ain't got none" is not "correct" English, but when I am around those who say it I do not correct them and I use it as they use it.

I am aware that the correct Spanish word for watch is reloj, not "watchero" but when I was around those who used the word I used it also.

You are not going to make friends lecturing native users of a language in its proper use even if you are a native user yourself.

you have to decide, not whether you are right or wrong, but what you have to gain and what you have to lose. If I use language differently than the people around me and they correct me I accept their way and thank them.

Last edited:
An interpreter made the mistake of correcting my sign once. She was wrong, and I knew the sign was correct...it was a different way of signing it, based on regional difference.

She never did it again.

I never "correct" a deaf person's sign when I'm interpreting. I just accept that there are differences. If a person is new to the area, sometimes they ask me about regionalisms but they certainly aren't required to use them.

Even hearing people from the North who move to the South ask about different words or pronunciations. It doesn't mean that they'll switch to using them but at least they'll be able to understand the terms when other people use them.

Actually its not. That sign in that video is fixed. It is in one place. But your description says, "run the X-hand from left to right". The third parameters of sign, movement, is different that what is in that video. ASL - parameters

I never "correct" a deaf person's sign when I'm interpreting. I just accept that there are differences.

Its not polite or professional to correct the Deaf when you are interpreting. So I would agree about not correcting the deaf :)

It is not polite to correct anyone at any time unless you are somehow responsible for the person's education as in a parent, teacher, guardian, etc. or if you are their editor or speech writer.

I've seen too many pompous people running around passing themselves off as experts in prescriptive grammar in order to "correct" lesser folks use of language. My attitude is simple, "The object of language is to communicate. If you understood the message well enough to correct its presentation then that purpose was served and the correction is unnecessary."

On the other hand if you are interested in learning people will often teach you without them even being aware they are doing so. If you say, or sign, something in a way the person is not used to hearing or seeing, they will often repeat it doing it the way they are used too. Copy this and you will have learned either the "correct" way or the "regional" way. It does not matter which -- Your facility with the language has just grown a pinch.

If you cannot "play" with a language you do not know it.

It is better to spell the sign word if you don't know the sign word for plastic. There is no right way or wrong way. Just have to accept that as we don't have a sign word "plastic" or not in our ASL dictionary. :)

I would spell it unless and until the other person signs PLASTIC back to me. Then, I would use that sign during our conversation.

I would spell it unless and until the other person signs PLASTIC back to me. Then, I would use that sign during our conversation.

I am signing the rubbery "p" hand at you now!

Back