How to sign "Forum"

Blackpaws76

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to sign "Forum"? Do we have to fingerspell that word? Forum is like this All Deaf forum.

The first thing that popped to mind is:

Internet + Communication + Group + called + A-L-L-D-E-A-F

I am sure others will have better ideas

Nah, "forum" in ASL should be both hands in F hand Shape, touching each other and then draw a line aacross it then the both signs goes down to reassemble as a "forum"

Nah, "forum" in ASL should be both hands in F hand Shape, touching each other and then draw a line aacross it then the both signs goes down to reassemble as a "forum"
Aren't you describing the sign FORM?

Write it in signwriting so we can see it more clearly? The top of the signwriting site has a sign for forum as their link to their discussions about signwriting. It looks like signing meet 3 times in an arc.

http://www.signwriting.org/

The one that JClarke described is the same sign for forum I have seen Deaf people use over the years.

The sign for form is similar to what you would sign for "make."

The one that JClarke described is the same sign for forum I have seen Deaf people use over the years.

The sign for form is similar to what you would sign for "make."

Different use of the word "form." "Make" is one definition. Reba was referring to a form like a Social Security form, something to fill out. That is signed with the Fs as described.

I believe the use of that sign for "forum" is due to a mixup between the words "forum" and "form" as they sound almost exactly alike even to hearing people. It is not really conceptually accurate to an Internet forum.

On the other hand I don't know what the real sign is, if there is one. I would fingerspell it myself, with expansion if necessary. The only related sign I do know is BLOG.

I have seen this sign used by some deaf people in the community. Its kinda of a popular sign. If I am interpreting will fingerspell and then adapt that sign (If the deaf person agrees upon).

Different use of the word "form." "Make" is one definition. Reba was referring to a form like a Social Security form, something to fill out. That is signed with the Fs as described.
You got it. :)

I believe the use of that sign for "forum" is due to a mixup between the words "forum" and "form" as they sound almost exactly alike even to hearing people. It is not really conceptually accurate to an Internet forum.
Right again. I think the other problem is that the "forum" and "form" visual shapes are too similar even though their concepts are not, thus the confusion.

The sign that Jake described definitely, in my mind, describes the American sign for "form". I don't care so much that it's signed that way - as long as the message gets across.

My sign for forum has always been fingerspelling the word before signing "computer" "debate/discussion" and "group".

I was trying to figure this one out just yesterday, on how to sign "Forum" and to explain what it is to the not so computer savvy deaf friend of mine.

Fingerspelling is definitely what I would go with more, but I guess I was thinking that a more appropriate sign that I would really believe is more of a group sign. Like group is used with to g's and then made to surround a space in the air. I was thinking with two f's and doing the same motion as group.

But of course, before I use it in the manner, I will spell it out, then sign it, so they know what I am signing when I use the word again.

Fingerspelling is definitely what I would go with more, but I guess I was thinking that a more appropriate sign that I would really believe is more of a group sign. Like group is used with to g's and then made to surround a space in the air. I was thinking with two f's and doing the same motion as group.

Like FAMILY?

I am in the middle of uploading a video for you guys.

Back