How to say "I know sign language"

I'd suggest using Gallaudet Font (available for free) and just putting "ASL" in fingerspelling (ie the Gallaudet Font) on a button.

I'd recommend a white background and Black font/text as large as is able to fit CLEARLY within the button face like this:

asl button.JPG

Hope that helps

*** UNLESS this person is a LICENSED and QUALIFIED interpreter ... I would NOT recommend using any type of "interpreter" logo (such as the gold pin shown in post #2) as it is mis-leading.
Someone who knows ASL - even if they are "fluent in ASL" does not by definition make then an ASL/English interpreter.
Using a symbol typically accepted to indicated an interpreter or referring to the individual in question as as "interpreter" (if they aren't certified etc) implies that the "interpreter" will hold to the various codes of ethics, professionalism and standards of a certified and licensed interpreter - and that anyone "speaking" to this person in ASL can expect all these codes to be adhered to ... which means if a policy etc is not explained properly you may be legally in "hot water" (unlike if you simply have an employee on staff who "knows enough ASL to communicate with a customer about general topics etc".)

If this person IS a certified interpreter - there are other issues you'll have to consider if they are going to be interpreting as part of their job such as:

Are they freelancers, or part of an association? (& are there any legal conflicts this causes)

Are they paid a separate "rate" for their interpreting time than "regular work time"?

Are they to be "pulled away" from their "regular work" on an as needed basis if an ASL using client requires assistance - and do the other employees understand this is what management wants etc (otherwise employees may think this person is "dropping their job to go 'chat in ASL' ")

Just some things to think about!!

I think it's GREAT that stores encourage multilingual employees to use their skills.... however it's important that using those skills doesn't put that individual or the company etc in positions which may be unknowingly create legal issues etc. (ie saying someone is an interpreter - when they aren't)

I'm making a button for an interpreter at a store. It needs to say that he knows sign language. Is there a universal sign language logo or way to illustrate the hands so that it is understood?
There's a recognized sign for interpreter, but I'm not aware of a single sign for "I know ASL".

Also what Anij said.

Back