How to reform dorm system at deaf schools?

Some kids have thrived at residential schools. It works for some and doesn't work for others. That's based on my experience and what others have shared about their own experiences.

There used to be a system of schools that was very bad at ripping kids from their families.

That certainly is no persuasive argument for residential schools
I know.....and good on you for catching that! It wouldn't be Indian School, trying to rip a kid from their culture. Deaf School could respect and preserve a First Nation's kid's culture, but remove them from the really bad parts of reservation life. I'm talking about the reservations where things like eating Lysol sandwiches is commonplace. I remember a few years ago, reading about a Deaf First Nations boy who lived at res school, and they seemed to be very postive about his culture. I also believe that it's kind of not unusual to see a lot of minority kids at Deaf Schools in Arizona, Oklahoma and other states that have lots of Amerind people.
Some kids have thrived at residential schools. It works for some and doesn't work for others
Exactly!!!! Thank you shel!!! And I mean I think you and bajagirl would know since you teach at residental schools......and you would prolly hear if there was something bad going on right? I am not surprised that in the past dorms were really bad ...and not surprised that there may still be bad dorms, but I do think that quite a few of the problems have been resolved and reformed.

Back