How to protect my banking privacy from parents?

Okay, everyone weighed in except me. I used to work as a collections agent, as well as for a collection agency, outsourced to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. First of all, deafskeptic, suppose you called me regarding your account (I'll get to the bank part in a moment). I will need your account number or other number associated with your account. Then verify your address, phone number, DOB, SSN. Then I can talk to you. If either of your parents called me or I called to speak with you and they ask questions, I CANNOT tell them what the call is in reference to. I can get personally sued for that. When I was at Mayo, I can only speak to the Guarantor (the person paying the bill) or the patient. One time, a man called, gave me the account number, didn't verify anything (he wouldn't) and asked if Medicare paid. I told him nothing. I told him I have no idea whom I am speaking with and will not give that information out. He hung up.

Same with a bank. My bank will not, cannot, under any circumstances, tell anyone about my account. If I had trouble getting access to my account online and the sign in doesn't work, I get an email telling me an attempt was made at whatever the possible infraction was.

Last week, I had trouble that I went straight to the police with, as it was a bogus cashier's check to me to buy my trumpet (haven't played it in years, forgot how) and was selling it. I still have it, but the check is with the bank and all email and correspondences with the perp are with the police. My bank closed my account and I had almost hell to get it reopened, but under a different number, the whole nine yards.

Long story short: If anyone tries to get into your account, your bank has to notify you. They are not to release information about your account for any reason to anyone. I'd close my bank account (s) and go to another bank or credit union . . . pronto! Good luck, dear.

Oh, by the way, since jillio and shel were so bad to assume deafskeptic was a male, :giggle: may you both be forced to bake a hundred chocolate chip cookies by scratch this weekend! :D

They should not be allowed to check my account and the bank is not supposed to tell them or any one else but me anything about how much I have in my account. The bank betrayed my trust.

They are not my guardians and no one but me should have information regarding my account. They were never guardians of my account. The last thing I'd want is for anyone else to be guardian of my account. If I ever should marry, I'd not want a joint account for this reason. I do not want anyone else controlling my account. period.

As what you said that your parents are not your guardians then your bank violated your privacy and trust.

Okay, everyone weighed in except me. I used to work as a collections agent, as well as for a collection agency, outsourced to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. First of all, deafskeptic, suppose you called me regarding your account (I'll get to the bank part in a moment). I will need your account number or other number associated with your account. Then verify your address, phone number, DOB, SSN. Then I can talk to you. If either of your parents called me or I called to speak with you and they ask questions, I CANNOT tell them what the call is in reference to. I can get personally sued for that. When I was at Mayo, I can only speak to the Guarantor (the person paying the bill) or the patient. One time, a man called, gave me the account number, didn't verify anything (he wouldn't) and asked if Medicare paid. I told him nothing. I told him I have no idea whom I am speaking with and will not give that information out. He hung up.

Same with a bank. My bank will not, cannot, under any circumstances, tell anyone about my account. If I had trouble getting access to my account online and the sign in doesn't work, I get an email telling me an attempt was made at whatever the possible infraction was.

Last week, I had trouble that I went straight to the police with, as it was a bogus cashier's check to me to buy my trumpet (haven't played it in years, forgot how) and was selling it. I still have it, but the check is with the bank and all email and correspondences with the perp are with the police. My bank closed my account and I had almost hell to get it reopened, but under a different number, the whole nine yards.

Long story short: If anyone tries to get into your account, your bank has to notify you. They are not to release information about your account for any reason to anyone. I'd close my bank account (s) and go to another bank or credit union . . . pronto! Good luck, dear.

Oh, by the way, since jillio and shel were so bad to assume deafskeptic was a male, :giggle: may you both be forced to bake a hundred chocolate chip cookies by scratch this weekend! :D

That ain't gonna happen. I'll have to complete my punishment another way!:giggle:

Aw... I just love tollhouse chocolate chip cookies. :( :giggle: mmm. I don't suppose you'd get me ben and jerry raw chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream? :D

Aw... I just love tollhouse chocolate chip cookies. :( :giggle: mmm. I don't suppose you'd get me ben and jerry raw chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream? :D

Oh, wow...that stuff is awesome! Here....wanna bite?

Oh whew! I always thought u were a she all this time until I saw this post and I thought, "Damn, I assumed the wrong gender of an AD member again!!!"

Hope u get everything resolved with your parents soon!

I assumed I was the only one doing that. I thought jillio was a male
at first until something I read in one post:eek3:

Agreement. People who would eat ALL the cookies
and the brag! Well they should be hung upside
down with wet nooldes and the pummeled into
unconsciousness with an organic carrot. A
bodacious punishment for a most heinous crime!

Agreement. People who would eat ALL the cookies
and the brag! Well they should be hung upside
down with wet nooldes and the pummeled into
unconsciousness with an organic carrot. A
bodacious punishment for a most heinous crime!

I didn't eat all the cookies.......I ate all the cookie dough ice cream. I tried to wait on deafsceptic, but it was starting to melt!:giggle:

ok if you just close account or change accout but that will not work , just simply threaten the bank with whole account withrawl and moving it to another bank and tell them "thanks so much for your shitty privacy policy " they will be more embarrassing losing a customer peroid let the bank learn lesson

I work for a large bank, unless you parents have a valid standing power of attorny that included your bank assetts your rights were violated and you can sue the bank. They are federaly regulated and your privacy rights was violated. You should also move your account to another bank citing poor security at your current bank.

Deafskeptic--What you need to do is go to your bank and report the incident, place a fraud alert on your account, and have the bank provide you another account or a password that no one would guess it not even your parents...I'm sorry that your parents did this to you, they shouldn't have...
Putting fraud alert in your bank account will put a dent on your credit history

Put fraud alert on your banking account or close the account. Go to different bank. You can file charges against your parents. It is up to you totally. Your parents have no rights to do that to you by snooping into your banking account.
Filing charges against parents is just plain mean unless it's a malicious action by parents in attempt to steal your money. Are you that mean with your parents, Oddball? At least deafskeptic discussed about it with her parents... that's good enough. A warning will suffice.

I work for a large bank, unless you parents have a valid standing power of attorny that included your bank assetts your rights were violated and you can sue the bank. They are federaly regulated and your privacy rights was violated. You should also move your account to another bank citing poor security at your current bank.
Yes - the bank is under federal regulation to notify you of any breach. Failure to notify is a federal violation and you can sue the bank.

If your parents managed to get the exact amount of your bank account, it's most likely a fluke done by employee. Obviously that employee should be immediately fired for failure to adhere to federal regulation and company policy. Do not blame the bank entirely. Just blame that person who gave out the information. Raise hell with the bank manager to hold that person accountable or threaten to sue - whatever you want.

Back