How to protect my banking privacy from parents?

deafskeptic

Premium Member
Reaction score
I just found out that one of my parents called my bank and found out how much I have in the bank. I do not think they have any right to call my bank as I did not give them permission to snoop into my account. I would like to know what my legals rights are in this situation as I am an adult and being deaf does not entitle them to snoop into my account.

I have told them if they ever do this to me again I will close the account and cut all ties to them.

I'm really surprised that the bank did that, especially over the phone. Did your parent use your name and password, or is your parent a co-signer on your account? I'm just curious how they did that. Banks are supposed to verify the identity of people making inquiries.

How did you find out about it?

I'm really surprised that the bank did that, especially over the phone. Did your parent use your name and password, or is your parent a co-signer on your account? I'm just curious how they did that. Banks are supposed to verify the identity of people making inquiries.

Password? the only password I have is for my ATM card, but when someone calls the bank over the phone, the bank usually ask you for the date of birth, the last 4 digit numbers of your social security and the bank account numbers, I'm sure most parents know their child's date of birth and social security number....

Deafskeptic--What you need to do is go to your bank and report the incident, place a fraud alert on your account, and have the bank provide you another account or a password that no one would guess it not even your parents...I'm sorry that your parents did this to you, they shouldn't have...

Password? the only password I have is for my ATM card, but when someone calls the bank over the phone, the bank usually ask you for the date of birth, the last 4 digit numbers of your social security and the bank account numbers, I'm sure most parents know their child's date of birth and social security number....
I access my credit union account on-line. It requires my account number and password. Then, it prompts two more security questions before I can access my account. If I go in person to the credit union, I need my account number and ID card to prove who I am. I haven't used the phone for access, so I don't know what they ask. But if they use only a birth date and last 4 numbers, then that doesn't seem very secure.

You're right that parents would know their child's birth date. ;)

I'm not sure if my parents knew my SSN. :dunno:

...Deafskeptic--What you need to do is go to your bank and report the incident, place a fraud alert on your account, and have the bank provide you another account or a password that no one would guess it not even your parents...I'm sorry that your parents did this to you, they shouldn't have...
I totally agree.

Well, most likely my parent did this in person and that parent has my name but not my password. No one is co-signer of my account. I'd like to know also because I spoke to someone at my bank and they say no one is supposed to have access to my account but me; one of my parents got the amount of the money I have quite correctly. They also have put an alert forbidding any inquires into my account. They shouldn't know how much money I have in bank. Simply because I am deaf and have ADDHD doesn't entitle anyone else to know what I have in my account - especially not my parents.

Oh I got an email from my parents telling me what one of them did, that's how I found out.

Well, most likely my parent did this in person and that parent has my name but not my password. No one is co-signer of my account. I'd like to know also because I spoke to someone at my bank and they say no one is supposed to have access to my account but me; one of my parents got the amount of the money I have quite correctly. They also have put an alert forbidding any inquires into my account. They shouldn't know how much money I have in bank. Simply because I am deaf and have ADDHD doesn't entitle anyone else to know what I have in my account - especially not my parents.

Oh I got an email from my parents telling me what one of them did, that's how I found out.

Put fraud alert on your banking account or close the account. Go to different bank. You can file charges against your parents. It is up to you totally. Your parents have no rights to do that to you by snooping into your banking account.

That's really not good of your parents. I am curious why in the world your parents do that? Do they think you're not capable of managing your money and your life as a deaf adult? You should tell your parents that they betrayed your trust in them. You should ask them why they did what they did.

I'd change banks or accounts without ever telling them what you did because what if they pretend to be you and do some messing around with your money?

I have a cousin whose mom ended up in the hospital for a month or so. She pretended to be her mom to the bank and got all of her money out to her own account. Of course, she told her mother later, but that is completely immoral to take your parents money without asking. She was an adult, and the situation is much deeper than I can share. We had a family member helping her financially. From a normal person's standpoint what her daughter did was not right whatsoever. You should never do anything without their permission or legal documents. We know that she never repaid her an ounce of money.

This is what probably one of your parents did by pretending to be you. I am not sure a bank would release information to someone else as long as they had your information. That doesn't make any sense. Would a bank release your information if they asked, "I'd like to know my deaf daughter's/son's account balance." I'd have this investigated if possible. I believe they record such phone conversations. If the bank violated your rights this way, then that is bad.

I am sorry that this happened to you, Deafskeptic. The bank really violiated the privacy policies. Why dont u find out what their policies are regarding privacy and if they have them written in their contract with you, u can sue them for breach of confidentiality? Up to you but I would change banks and empasize the other bank that u DO NOT want your info shared with anyone including family members.

Hope u get everything worked out. :hug:

Wow, I am just flabbergasted! Not only did the bank violate your privacy, it is unconscionable of your parent! I would definately close that account and repopen another one....and tell the bank that they will not be charging you any fees for doing so as it is their error that made the change necessary.

I would then give my parents a piece of my mind. I don't care what their reasoning for doing something like this might have been...it is completely disrespectful and dishonest, not to mention illegal as hell!

I am so sorry that you were disrespected like this!

wow, I am total speechless after read your post here...

It's betrayal and trust what your parents did to you.

First of all, I have few questions since you ask us for feedback how to protect your bank privacy from your parents. (I need to know about US legal first).

Let me to tell you and help you to know either it's similar as in America or not.

My boys have their own bank account under parental/guardian. We (parents) have agreement contract with Bank as parent/guardian for our minor children until 18 years old. We re-sign to remove us as our boys' parent/guardian when they are 18 years old.

Do your parents have that similiar parental/guardian contract agreement with Bank? If yes, it look like that your parents don't bother to re-sign to remove them as your parent/guardian? Without re-sign to remove your parent as your guardian then they can check your bank what they want because the bank think it's okay with you for let your parents to check or collect money from your bank what they want?

I am surprised about the phone but here in Germany...No. The bankers are not allow to give information/detail on the phone but person in their bank.

I'm told it was a fluke and I'm told they gave one of my parents my balance by mistake when one of them asked for the balance of their account; my parent wanted to make a deposit into my account - that part is fine however they should not know how much I have in it..

However, when I get my check I am opening a new account.

I'm told it was a fluke. However, when I get my check I am opening a new account.

Good for you, deafskeptic. I hope your parents will eventually come to understand how wrong they were in the way they disrespected you.

I just found out that one of my parents called my bank and found out how much I have in the bank. I do not think they have any right to call my bank as I did not give them permission to snoop into my account. I would like to know what my legals rights are in this situation as I am an adult and being deaf does not entitle them to snoop into my account.

I have told them if they ever do this to me again I will close the account and cut all ties to them.

Remove your parents' names from your account so that they no longer have access to your banking information, or better yet, get a brand new banking account and transfer all your money to the new bank account.

I feel bad for you, Deafskeptic and hope this will resolve itself. I noticed you mentioned your folks making a deposit into your account, right? Hopefully, action you take won't ruin that aspect of your parents apparent generosity....or is there something more to this issue?...of course, you don't have to reveal anything if you don't want.

Back