How to make a child eat vegetables?

moveright

Reaction score
I have heard of a cookbook where you hide the veggies in food. Don't know if it will work though.

I have heard of a cookbook where you hide the veggies in food. Don't know if it will work though.

It works - but I personally feel that it is more important to teach children the value of vegetables - children are to be taught that vegetables are essential nutrients and have to learn how to like it.

What is the point of hiding it? I taught my children to like vegetables because that is something they have to do for rest of their lives if they want to lead a healthy lifestyle.

why not make veggies taste better and maybe chopped up veggies into little pieces.

yeah I would love to buy books to sneak veggies in food, maybe I will
eat squash and stuff.

My son like veggies...as long as it taste good then he'll eat it..if not then he won't. So I have no problem feed my son veggies. Only thing he do not like corn but only on corn on cobs. I put butter in corn so he'll eat..it works.

You can cook vegies till they are very tender and grind them up and put in spagitti(sp) sauce to "hide" them. On the other hand, it's like you are not teaching your child the importants of eating vegies. I always have them with every dinner and the kids must eat them or they do not get a treat later. It's bribery all the way but they do it. :giggle:

I just put them on my son's plate and didn't make a big deal about it. If you make a big deal about it, the kid thinks, "Uh, oh....this is something I'm not gonna like because Mom and Dad are trying too hard to convince me to like it!" I just put them on his plate and expected that he would eat them, and he did. Of course, there were some veggies he didn't like, and I didn't insist that he eat those as long as he was eating a good variety. By the time he got old enough to realize he was eating veggies that other kids complained about, he already had decided that he liked them! Guess I had it easy in the eating department of parenting!

I fed my boys with homemade foods when they were babies until I mixed and steam the chopped fennel with potatoes. We like it and got us idea that we continue to mix and steam chopped fennel with potatoes and then puree (mashed potatoes) then nobody notice that I add fennel in potatoes... until one day I forget to buy fennel for mashed potatoes... My both boys noticed something taste odd and ask what is this. I said mashed potatoes... They said the taste is different and don't like it. I finally tell them the truth that I forget to add fennel to mix with potatoes. They were like :jaw: becuase they HATE fennel total. Now they know and continue to eat mashed potatoes with fennel... :giggle:

My boys love vegetables when they were little... They become teenagers and don't like vegetables much but just carrot, sweet corn and cauiflower.

Add cheese on top of veggies as soon veggies almost done cooked.

mostly kids always eat lots vegetables LOTS! its good health and some kids dont eat vegetables.

MUST eat include
broccoli
carrot
corn
peas
whatevers what kids would eat vegetables

my young cousin always eat vegetables lots but mostly eat anythings include corn on cob lots! sometimes not eat vegetables dont worry!

My boys love vegetables when they were little... They become teenagers and don't like vegetables much but just carrot, sweet corn and cauiflower.

Wow, same as my oldest but my other boys still eat vegetables, but they refused to eat green pea or green beans.

I don't buy cauliflower much since I don't like the taste of it, but we do buy broccoli but none of my children likes it.

As a mother, I do not force my children to eat vegetables, but I do encourage them to try and eat it.

Wow, same as my oldest but my other boys still eat vegetables, but they refused to eat green pea or green beans.

I don't buy cauliflower much since I don't like the taste of it, but we do buy broccoli but none of my children likes it.

Yes, I know teenagers don't like vegetables much as when they use to like to eat alot when they were little... . oh well...

My hubby & I love all vegetables - broccoli, etc. My teenage sons don't like all vegetables anymore but they do eat carrots, cauiflower and sweet corn... fennel mixed with mashed potatoes... That's all but my boys like to eat green or red salads except tomatoes.

Hey Liebling, I did edit my post and add a comment about what I do with my children about eating vegetables. :aw:

Angel's post
As a mother, I do not force my children to eat vegetables, but I do encourage them to try and eat it.

Yes, that's right. I don't force my boys to eat vegetables either. They use to eat vegetables a lot since they were babies to young children. They become teenagers and one of them hit puberty - change emotion... less interest to eat vegetables but few vegetables and most salads. All what they see is anything on the table. It's up to them either they want to eat or not.

We always loved veggies in my family. When I got married and had children I found out my hubby did not like all veggies. Luckily, my children did. I read (many years ago) there was a study done that showed different people can taste things that others can't taste and some of the veggies that are most disliked by a lot of people actually have something in them that some people can taste and it tastes bad to them. The study suggested that children are not being stubborn when they say they really can't stand the taste of certain veggies. The ones that had the most bad taste were dark green. Brussels sprouts and broccoli were very high on the list. Since proper nutrition is very important to your child's health don't give up when they refuse to eat a certain veggie, just try a different one with similar nutritional benefits. Giving up will teach them veggies are not important and they will not learn proper nutrition. Also adding cheese, butter, different spices (or dips for raw veggies), even serving in a new way like on pizza can help interest a picky child.

Back