How to improve English writing skills without going to college?

I see. Canada will be a big difference in terms of laungage. You'll have to ask someone versed in Canadian languages. Depending on where you are located it could be French, English(Great Britain) or perhaps a mix and the syntax and norms are different than American English. Those small differences in spoken language can turn into big differences in writing.

You should look for help in that particular dialect.

Wirelessly posted

You also, need to be aware of idioms. There is an idiom dictionary at Barnes & Noble or check online they are available in the search engines. Just type the idiom and begin your search.

Thank you everyone for suggestions.

Learning to improve my English skills isn't part of reason why I want to move to Canada. I want to improve my skill so I'll have easier to communicate with co-workers and boss(es).

EDIT:

Oh and also, I want to become a CEO of a business. I have a long way to go but I'll get there when I'll have enough money to start business. Would love to start business in Canada, too.

Learning to improve my English skills isn't part of reason why I want to move to Canada. I want to improve my skill so I'll have easier to communicate with co-workers and boss(es).

EDIT:

Oh and also, I want to become a CEO of a business. I have a long way to go but I'll get there when I'll have enough money to start business. Would love to start business in Canada, too.

It depends on your job. People don't crucify you for grammar over email, but it certainly makes you seem more intelligent if you can write well.

On the other hand, if you are writing for a publisher you should have good command of language. Although, even in that case, there are editors assigned to do that work.

Your job is not going to be like school. School prepares you for everything while you job will most likely be very specific and you will learn that trade on the job.

I think you have what you need to start.

Well, from what I read the job descriptions for my major(s) require to have good communication and writing skills because of the lab reports and communicate with others.

I have lab technician and environmental science degrees.

Well, from what I read the job descriptions for my major(s) require to have good communication and writing skills because of the lab reports and communicate with others.

I have lab technician and environmental science degrees.

That just means you can get people to understand you. Yes, that might mean in writing as well, but you've been through college so you have that skill.

Have you had a situation were you have not gotten a job because of communication skills? If the problem isn't oral communication, I think you are over thinking it.

Environmental science is tough, but you're not expected to know everything at first.

I would recommend two books:

Language Files II: Materials for an Introduction to Language and Linguistics
Systems in English Grammar: An Introduction for Language Teachers by P. Masters*

I have taken English courses on grammar and the fundamental aspects of language(English) because I really enjoy learning about how language is constructed. The second book listed is probably going to help you more. It talks about how to arrange your sentences and the meanings that come from using specific words.

If you are worried about grammar mistakes in an essay, I would ask someone to read it. It's easier to catch something if you are not the author of the work. Also, if you are unsure of something in your writing highlight what you are unsure of and then go back to it and think about it or ask someone how you might be able to improve that part.

The only thing I can say is read and make practice sheets for yourself if you think that will help.

Yes I'm sure reading books won't help.

Let say, I wrote 11 pages of essay, I normally get 20 grammar errors per page. That's bad to have 220 grammar errors for one essay.

I just got a basic grammar English book. Soon, I'll have to review the basic rules again.

You can continue to read the books because they are pretty helpful. They help you to understand what the books are all about. After you read the book, you can write a page or two about it. When you are finished with writing, give it to 2 or 3 even 5 people to proofread it. They can give you some feedback. You should be able to learn from it.

EDIT:

Your writing skill isn't bad. What type of business you want to set it up in Canada? I have always wanted to live in Canada. That's where my enormous family come from. :)

It might help to be more specific about what kinds of books should be read to improve grammar. Not all books are created grammatically equal.

True, depending on reading level. A basic learning would start with children reading books, if that too easy move on up a grade level. Young adult books are helpful too.

That just means you can get people to understand you. Yes, that might mean in writing as well, but you've been through college so you have that skill.

Have you had a situation were you have not gotten a job because of communication skills? If the problem isn't oral communication, I think you are over thinking it.

Environmental science is tough, but you're not expected to know everything at first.

I may be over thinking it but just want to be safe than sorry.

I would recommend two books:

Language Files II: Materials for an Introduction to Language and Linguistics
Systems in English Grammar: An Introduction for Language Teachers by P. Masters*

I have taken English courses on grammar and the fundamental aspects of language(English) because I really enjoy learning about how language is constructed. The second book listed is probably going to help you more. It talks about how to arrange your sentences and the meanings that come from using specific words.

If you are worried about grammar mistakes in an essay, I would ask someone to read it. It's easier to catch something if you are not the author of the work. Also, if you are unsure of something in your writing highlight what you are unsure of and then go back to it and think about it or ask someone how you might be able to improve that part.

The only thing I can say is read and make practice sheets for yourself if you think that will help.

Thanks for suggestion.

You can continue to read the books because they are pretty helpful. They help you to understand what the books are all about. After you read the book, you can write a page or two about it. When you are finished with writing, give it to 2 or 3 even 5 people to proofread it. They can give you some feedback. You should be able to learn from it.

I have at least one person who can proofread my practical writing essay. Will looking to find someone else who can help me in my real life.

Your writing skill isn't bad. What type of business you want to set it up in Canada? I have always wanted to live in Canada. That's where my enormous family come from. :)

Greenhouse business.

True, depending on reading level. A basic learning would start with children reading books, if that too easy move on up a grade level. Young adult books are helpful too.

I bought 3rd and fourth grade combination in one book. I learned something new. Yes, I'll slowly go from there to college level. Yea 3rd grade is super easy but good to review as a good start.

My reading level is at high school level while my writing level is at 6th grade.

Yea, I don't blame you. I am sort of in the same shoes as well. I want to change careers so for that to happen, I need to improve my English skills to land the high paying jobs I want. Working on it as well.

Good luck!

Back