How to help by buying used USA cars?

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
Let's say that I have some money saved up to buy an used Honda Civic or a Chevy Cavalier. Now if I was to keep a car for 1 month, it won't matter. If I was to keep it for 10 years, then that will make a difference. I'll have to buy parts to fix the car. See, if I buy a starter for a Cavalier, I would be helping USA. If I was to buy a starter for a Civic, then I won't be helping USA. Is that right?

Not that simple. You would have to look at where is the manufacturing plant located, then who is doing the assembly. Those are 90% of the work on the car.

Second, if you are buying secondhand, the money isn't going to the automobile manufacturer, it's going to whoever the person you are buying from. Buying parts may or may not make a difference if you buy OEM or aftermarket, where a lot of asian or europe companies make similar parts.

Do a little more homework on the car you're buying if you're interested in semantics on where the money is going to.

Some USA manufacturers source their work to Asia. See the Ford Escape:
Ford Escape - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ford Escape
250px-2001-04_Ford_Escape.jpg

Also called Ford Maverick
Production 2000–2007 (Japan, US)
2006–present (Taiwan)
2010–present (China)
Model years 2001–2007
Assembly
Avon Lake, Ohio, United States
Jhongli City, Taiwan
Claycomo, Missouri, United States
Hai Duong, Vietnam
Hōfu, Yamaguchi, Japan
Santa Rosa, Laguna, Philippines
Lastly, you could have posted this in the auto section.

^^^^ is indeed correct

I am about to own our Jeep L'il Cherokee for 10 years. It has been far most reliable vehicle I ever seen. Only 7 months away from hitting 10 years mark.

Many Hondas are made in USA, and many "American" cars are actally made overseas.

I believe two things, first it is who that is team that build car, lousy team won't make decent cars while excellent team makes the best cars. Secondly, today machine shop are more precise than ever to make any parts, much more precise than it was in 70's or earlier. Thanks to technology that enables higher quality with higher accuracy.

helping the USA by buying a used car...........huh?

You would be buying the parts for said car in the US, so either way tax money will be paid to the US gov't. Those parts have most likely been built in another country, the majority of parts at a parts store are refurbed in mexico. The new parts could come from anywhere in the world.

If you feel bad about the car not being "american", youve got to dig deep, look at things like where the OEM parts came from, where the car was built (for example, Nissan is "japanese" but most of what you will see in the US was built right here in America...but that cavalier MAY have been built in mexico). There is a lot more to it than you think

Agreed with tigersharkdude. It's mostly impossible to find out where all the tidbit parts come from. I bet you many of the plastic parts are probably from china or somewhere else. I don't think there is a 100% american made car.

dereksbicycles..... you're a funny confused man....

A friend of mine bought a good ol' made in America Ford truck, and the dealership, the dealership, repaired it with parts made in Japan. :crazy:

A friend of mine bought a good ol' made in America Ford truck, and the dealership, the dealership, repaired it with parts made in Japan. :crazy:

You do realize that it's basically impossible to buy a car that is 100% American, right? The parts in every car come from all over the world.

...I am about to own our Jeep L'il Cherokee for 10 years. It has been far most reliable vehicle I ever seen. Only 7 months away from hitting 10 years mark....
My previous Jeep Cherokee made it to 16 years before it was totaled last spring.

My current Jeep Cherokee is 11 years old.

Back