How to Get Terp in School?

BoricuaChevere

Reaction score
I'm in high school and its difficult for me to follow along a lot. I'm not officially "disabled" but I want to be able to have an interpreter. How could I do this? I take audiograms at my ENT and he says nothing is wrong but my hearing fluctuates front day to day. Should I stick with my ENT or go for an audiologist? And back to my first question how do I receive terp services? Thanks!

you have to have a documented reason for a terp, meaning substancial hearing loss, and you would have to have an IEP meeting or a 504 plan. if you do not have a documented hearing loss, it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to get a terp.

People who decide being deaf is fun and exciting and a good way to get attention, but have nothing wrong with their hearing, get a psychiatrist, not an interpreter. :nono:

on the other hand......I do think that if you have fluctuating hearing loss, you might be able to be eligable for minimal HOH accomondations, like front row seatings FM device etc. You might also see if you have a central auditory processing disorder. If you're having trouble understanding beyond what a fluctuating loss is expected to give you, you might have something nereological.

Oh and the thing is, if I recall you can get accomondations with a permanent flututating loss, if it is medically documented....but not nessarily a 'terp. I think they're cracking down on misuse of IEPs, due to parents using them for their kids to get untimed tests and other accomondations so their kids can get an "edge"

Oh and the thing is, if I recall you can get accomondations with a permanent flututating loss, if it is medically documented....but not nessarily a 'terp. I think they're cracking down on misuse of IEPs, due to parents using them for their kids to get untimed tests and other accomondations so their kids can get an "edge"

Apparently, it is documented that an ENT says there is nothing wrong with his hearing.

Apparently, it is documented that an ENT says there is nothing wrong with his hearing.

yes, but he says that he has flutuating loss. On the other hand, I do agree with you there. Fluctutating and unilateral losses generally can strongly benift from minimal HOH style accomondations in the classroom. More accomodnations would be overkill. It would be like offering Braille for a kid who just has a glass eyeball.

At the very least, there is nothing to stop you from talking to the teachers, saying that while you don't qualify for official 504/IEP plan, you are having some trouble hearing, and could you sit near the front, ask teacher to try not to talk while facing the board, etc. Most teachers are decent people and willing to help where they can. Speaking as a teacher, I would respond well to requests like this, regardless of an official plan being in place.

Back