How to get my laptop to run faster.

here's the link..... Acer Support - Aspire 3680 Series Specifications

The specs tell me a max of 2 GB....

and on the processor...you have to make sure the processor matches the socket.....

It seems to be a socket 478......but I'm not certain.....
here's a link of interest:

Socket 478 (mPGA478B)

Yup, That's what I mentioned about CPU socket on post #24.

Look for Pentuim 4 Mobile processor that would work with your laptop IF your laptop socket have lever to release the processor.

They sells bunch of "Mobile 478 Pentium 4 processors" in Ebay.

Wish you a good luck seeing performance jump on your laptop.

Catty

:ty: I will be contacting my computer guru and see what he can do with the lappy since I am off school for about a month. Like I said if I could come up with the parts he could probably put them in about a day maybe.

I checked the Acer Specs, I also believe I would be better served to have Vista taken off and XP Professional installed as Vista was an epic fail altogether, yes?

epic fail yes, get Windows 7 it is way better than Vista and has a lot of good flexibility of an XP. Different again but much easier to get into win7 than vista. you wont regret it.

if you plan to stay on dial up go on XP, but dial up will cease out in a few years..hmm so Win7 is the best move along with broadband or cable internet (i will have to go on broadband in January)
Cheers

epic fail yes, get Windows 7 it is way better than Vista and has a lot of good flexibility of an XP. Different again but much easier to get into win7 than vista. you wont regret it.

if you plan to stay on dial up go on XP, but dial up will cease out in a few years..hmm so Win7 is the best move along with broadband or cable internet (i will have to go on broadband in January)
Cheers
mate, broadband is in prt of our lives for many many years and we didn't realize, broadband is the best! Good luck with the broandband move :thumb:

Dixie, I demand you to upgrade to Win 7, the best OS ever seen. You wont regret it like grummer said. It is worth it. Very nice system, I have Win 7 too.

Vista has lost us.

Vista sucks. I will plan to sell HP notebook which includes Vista Home Premium and look for Dell Studio notebook which includes Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate

I'm not sure if my laptop would support Win 7 and besides w/ the current deals on laptops to juice this one up then upgrade to Win 7, I'm better off to purchase an entirely new machine. But as I said I want to wait awhile on Win 7 before I dive in headfirst into an OS that's going to create only headaches for me. I want to get some real world feed back on the operability of Win 7. And on top of that I will not be purchasing another po'boy model laptop. I want to get at least a Student/Office capable machine that's fast, gots lots of storage for media. I'm told that HP is the way to go on Laptop brands.

I'm not sure if my laptop would support Win 7 and besides w/ the current deals on laptops to juice this one up then upgrade to Win 7, I'm better off to purchase an entirely new machine. But as I said I want to wait awhile on Win 7 before I dive in headfirst into an OS that's going to create only headaches for me. I want to get some real world feed back on the operability of Win 7. And on top of that I will not be purchasing another po'boy model laptop. I want to get at least a Student/Office capable machine that's fast, gots lots of storage for media. I'm told that HP is the way to go on Laptop brands.
the mimimum of Ram needed for Win 7 to run is 1GB ram

BTW I'm already on broadband Internet, I use a wireless connection for my laptop, and I currently run Vista Basic on an Acer Aspire 3680 laptop.

I have two options available to me now, as I have contemplated both and both would work.

1. Remove the 512 MB ram and install 2 1G ram sticks, remove Celeron processor and install a Pentium 4 Mobile processor that's compatible with a 478 slot. Remove my current Vista OS and install XP Professional. This would need to be done now while I am on Christmas break from school.

2. Wait until fall - given some of my debts are paid in full at the time - that I should purchase an entirely new laptop with large fast ram, lots of storage, and a solid OS that's truly capable of handling the demands of a college student. I need a laptop due it's portability. I can take the thing to class with me if need be for whatever reason. And Lordy I want one with an integrated camera so I can videochat with some of you as I have wanted to for the past couple of years but have been unable to due to compatibility issues with my laptop and camera.

I'm side with others about recommended to get Windows 7.

Windows 7 is stable and faster than Vista but there's small amount of bugs, especially some apps don't response so you have wait or force quit.

Guys, know why?

512MB ram are usless to today's technology and today's latest Operating systems. That laptop is useless.

Yup, 512 MB RAM was useful in last 5 years ago but games are recommended at 1 GB.

Dixie, Microsoft has a small program to download in your laptop to check it to see it is capable to run Windows 7. I have done it before upgraded my computer from Windows Ulimate 64 to Windows 7 Pro 64. If the program find it is not capable, go ahead to purchase new laptop. But I strongly recommanded new laptop with Windows 7 Pro. Windows 7 Pro is all you need for college works.

By way, Microsoft offers a student discount on Windows 7 Home or Professional for just $30 (will end in January 2010). I got my Windows 7 Pro for $30 (plus extra charges for backup disc) from Microsoft. I am not kidding.

I'm side with others about recommended to get Windows 7.

Windows 7 is stable and faster than Vista but there's small amount of bugs, especially some apps don't response so you have wait or force quit.
they will fix it and you'll be sweet. I love my Win 7 Professional, its awesome and FAST! :shock:

BTW I'm already on broadband Internet, I use a wireless connection for my laptop, and I currently run Vista Basic on an Acer Aspire 3680 laptop.

I have two options available to me now, as I have contemplated both and both would work.

1. Remove the 512 MB ram and install 2 1G ram sticks, remove Celeron processor and install a Pentium 4 Mobile processor that's compatible with a 478 slot. Remove my current Vista OS and install XP Professional. This would need to be done now while I am on Christmas break from school.

2. Wait until fall - given some of my debts are paid in full at the time - that I should purchase an entirely new laptop with large fast ram, lots of storage, and a solid OS that's truly capable of handling the demands of a college student. I need a laptop due it's portability. I can take the thing to class with me if need be for whatever reason. And Lordy I want one with an integrated camera so I can videochat with some of you as I have wanted to for the past couple of years but have been unable to due to compatibility issues with my laptop and camera.

#3: Put the laptop on a treadmill.

But seriously, I would go with #2, especially when there are laptops with 4GB of ram, integrated camera, and minimum bloat ware for less than $400. (Oh and the best laptop in evading failures, Toshiba.)

As it stands If I were to purchase a laptop with Win OS, I would probably go with a Dell or HP. I wonder if Dell offers student discounts for college students? They offer just about every other discount known to man. Doesn't Staples also offer 10% student discounts for college students? I thought I remember someone telling me that once.

Yup, 512 MB RAM was useful in last 5 years ago but games are recommended at 1 GB.

I don't play games that often on my laptop, it's 60% school work, 40% facebook, email, AD.com, and YouTube. All of my gaming is done on the Wii.

Back