how to get close to a deaf person?

Wirelessly posted

Ani314 said:
u see I dont wanna annoy him, I've seen he has a scar next to his ear and I know he uses a hearing aid on the street, I know it 'cause he's client from the same beautician as me, the beautician is my friend and she told me about it.

Thanks for all your replies.

That scar is probably from cochlear implant . In fact, that's probably why he is not saying much. He can't hear without his cochlear implant. He probably don't wear it when he exercise. He is used to hearing some sounds to speechread/communicate.

Last edited:
Oh boy... It's the guy responsibility to tell her "I'm sorry, I'm not interested, I'm gay...." or "Please stop bothering me", or "It's nice to meet you but I have other life to take care of it" or "Sorry, I'm taken..so fuck off" or whatever he says!!! So, if she bothered him, I'm sure he will bring something to say.

Secondly, it's Ani314 responsibility to say, "I'm I bothering you? If I do, I will stop!" or "Want to be a team workout? I need some kind of motivation to keep in shape?" Or if your definitons "stalking" saying "I wanna fuck you", then I'm sure he will call the cop.

The guy does not have to say anything if does not feel like it! He has no
obligation to Ani314 or anyone! He can just walk away like he been doing!
I do not think Ani314 should keeping on talking to him if he had walked away from her already. The guy has made clear he not in the mood to talk to her.
Some guys just do not like made any scene in public! You said she should keep talking to him and I disagree!

Wirelessly posted

I say she should give him one last chance.

Agree....but I'd wait a little while before trying again, don't push it. IF she's acts too forward, most times the guy will run the other way!....Some people do go to the gym to work out and get fit, not to socialize!...Nothing is more distracting and frustrating when someone is trying to flirt with you and you're trying to work out....

What I'm saying is...encouragements or hope to try. If she have a reason wanting to know him... it could be love at first sight... it worth to try.

As far as CI goes, I know many CI users wear it while working out. My wife use CI while she work out in our big gym. The only time she took it off is when she run on treadmill...she hate this noise. LOL.

So, remember he and she will be in the gym alot, in a same place, if she once understand what he trying to do then she can move on. Sometime when seeing thing as a mystery, no one couldn't resist to find an answer.

Wirelessly posted

I know people wear CI during workout, but it doesn't mean everyone do. Some probably don't want to wear it because of sweat.I'm just telling that's probably why he doesn't want to talk much.

Last edited:
I agree about not wanting to socialize at the gym especially being deaf. I need my eyes to focus on what I am doing and it is hard to use them to communicate as well. Takes my focus away.

To the OP,that's something else to keep in mind as well.

Wirelessly posted

I know people wear CI during workout, but it doesn't mean everyone do. Some probably don't want to wear it because of sweat.I'm just telling that's probably why he doesn't want to talk much.

True.

When I went into the YMCA, I left my CI and HA in the locker so that the sweat doesn't get to them.

No one made an effort to talk to me, and I don't make an effort to talk to them.

When I was about 40lbs lighter and had hair, did not have very many girls trying to pick me up, but gay men were always interested in me. They don't look at me anymore..... :(

:giggle:

wow thanks everyone, im not that kind of girl who wants to sleep with him and move on, I wanna meet him, I've seen him at the gym for 5 months almost everyday and I've never talked to him, so we known each other of sight. He told me he has been going to the gym for 5 years, he's not new there and he doesn't say hi to anyone, he just talk normally signing when he goes with his deaf friend.

Last edited:
Hello! I'm a spanish hearing girl, I go to the gym and there's an attractive guy which called my eyes, he happened to be deaf, I dont know ASL, but I was planning taking a course, so I know some signs, my name hi and so on. It was so difficult to meet him , he always goes on his own,so serious face, doesnt talk to anyone . I found an excuse and asked him to help me to do weightlifting, after that I said sth stupid like it's hot today, and then i told him my name signing and he told me he was learning ASL for 2 years,I told him i thought ASL was so interesting and I was going to take a course, then he keep doing exercise and i tried start the conversation again, after that he asked me how old I was, we both are 23 ,and then he left. I don't know how to get close to him, 8 days later I saw him there, I was a little far from him and I signed how are you? and he just moved his lips said fine and then he left. I really like him I wanna meet him.
Thanks everybody[/QU HEY, YOU NEED TO ASK HIM THE 2 QUESTIONS OF GAY OR STRAIGHT THEN LET HIM GO BECAUSE HE IS NOT INTERESTED IN YOU,MAYBE HE LIKES WHO LADY VERY YOUNGER OR OLDER THE MATURE. YOU DONT BE STALKER HIS BUTT. LOL

wow thanks everyone, im not that kind of girl who wants to sleep with him and move on, I wanna meet him, I've seen him at the gym for 5 months almost everyday and I've never talked to him, so we known each other of sight. He told me he has been going to the gym for 5 years, he's not new there and he doesn't say hi to anyone, he just talk normally signing when he goes with his deaf friend.

OK..you know each other by sight...and he doesn't talk to anyone..there ya go sweetie....the guy wants to workout...not socialize...maybe he needs his space and the gym gives him that....relax..smile when you see him...he knows your there....it"s up to him now....and you sound like a nice outgoing person..he may be the "keep to himself type" ..just enjoy the gym..and relax..Peace to you

Wirelessly posted

I'm hearing too. Most deaf don't date the hearing. It's hard for deaf and hearing to communicate attraction to each other. It's two different worlds and each go about things in different ways. He probably doesn't pick up on your signals because he's used to like u said sticking to himself around the hearing. I think u should be bold and walk up to him with your phone and ask if u can text him sometime. Then through text y'all can actually talk beyond the few signs u know and slowly let him know how u feel. Remember most deaf have a very hard time trusting the hearing so it might take a while. Good luck! *smiles*

Daniel thanks, but Im a bit shy to go straight to him with my phone and tell him, please give me your number I wanna know you,I think I'll scared him, he seems shy too,however his deaf friend he is more talkative he even say hi to some guys from the gym, but he seems more closed. Is there sth less straight to do? maybe he saw my intention but he's not interested,or doesn't wanna date hearings as you said.
Thanks anyway

Last edited:
Back