How to get an FM system

rivenoak

Premium Member
Reaction score
Exactly how does one go about obtaining an FM system?

Can I buy one through DS' audi?

If the school provides one, is it a loaner or for keeps?

Anything you think I should know would be appreciated! We're in Phoenix, AZ and have private insurance (crappy hearing coverage, though).

Exactly how does one go about obtaining an FM system?

Can I buy one through DS' audi?

If the school provides one, is it a loaner or for keeps?

Anything you think I should know would be appreciated! We're in Phoenix, AZ and have private insurance (crappy hearing coverage, though).

Great questions! I was wondering about this too! I was thinking about one for church and lectures... which I go to about Autism for my daughter, and was wanting to do meetings and volunteer stuff for the Societies. :ty:

You have to buy it through your audi or through the school. They are way less expensie if sold to the school (huge discount), so try to get them to buy it for you. Phonak will NOT sell directly to parents.

I'm not sure exactly how I got mine, but I would reccomend going through the school. I had a loner for a while, then somehow I was given my own. (Mind you, this was a box FM, pre hearing aids. Then I got hearing aids, and an FM, and we donated my old box FM for back up.

I know that they've been reccomending that parents buy FM for their kids as an ALD. As with everything heaing related, I think its a hit or miss thing. I do know some people find it useful, but I mean there were and are MANY kids who survived without FM home usage!

Great questions! I was wondering about this too! I was thinking about one for church and lectures... which I go to about Autism for my daughter, and was wanting to do meetings and volunteer stuff for the Societies. :ty:

try get icom with tvlink it work great with phonak (335 dollar for icom and tvlink (voiis)) depend your audiogith charge for that

so what i know icom can be work up to 95 feet with voiis

i am getting my on aug 8

Thank you everyone for the comments. :ty:

Would FM be appropriate for gym class @ school where teacher/coach might be farther away than usual? Or while in the car when DS can't read my lips & doesn't always hear what I am saying?

Rampratt, thank you for the local contacts. I will follow up on those, for sure.:ty:

We are in the same situation. We are going to purchase new aids & FM in October. I think we've decided on the Naida hearing aids, ML11i receiver, and SmartLink+ transmitter.

How old is your ds? Tyler is 3 years old.

Would FM be appropriate for gym class @ school where teacher/coach might be farther away than usual? Or while in the car when DS can't read my lips & doesn't always hear what I am saying?

Rampratt, thank you for the local contacts. I will follow up on those, for sure.:ty:

Yes. I find it very useful in situations with lots of background noise, where the speaker is far away, and when i can't see lips.
*EQL*

I would, I used mine while growing up, I was able to mainstream 90% with FM system with my profound loss. My friend uses hers while having riding lessons. I did use mine when I raced on Yachts (I hear more than the crew as the hearing crew had to listen through winds etc)

my fm system and I have a love hate relationship lol...i hate it sometimes but most of the time it works well...it can just get annoying when teachers dont use it properly..but what can ya do right..ah well..i'm sure your son will do really with with it rivenoak! I think sometimes it's especially more useful for smaller children since they rely so heavily on spoken language:)

An fm system is perfect for such situations.

oh gosh yes! I remember before I got my ha's and fm my coach would be yelling at me and id still be on the field (when i played soccer) and he'd have to get the whole team to yell my name and call me off the field lol..the fm is a HUGE help lol the car would be good too as well as if he uses a stroller and you go out sometimes or at noisy venues such as parks and things...the fm can come in handy..i use it for snowboarding..when I was learning my gf would let me know what to do but we quickly nixed it cuz the wind was making it impossible for me to hear...anyway I hope he gets the FM:)

Hmm.
Ok, honestly I was thinking you were looking for one for school use. I never really used mine at home (except now that im older for my ipod and computer/tv and stuff :D). I'm thinking my FM-lanyard thing might come in super handy for the car, then, hunh? Maybe my coach should wear it tooo (we respond to whistles, occasional vocal orders)...
Hmm... New dimensions to this FM thing! :D

We are in the same situation. We are going to purchase new aids & FM in October. I think we've decided on the Naida hearing aids, ML11i receiver, and SmartLink+ transmitter.

How old is your ds? Tyler is 3 years old.

Exactly as this said- same way to go for me

Back