How to behave

LindaBob

Reaction score
Trying to learn. Trying to change. Been HH whole life but now that I can sign better (not fluent - only decent) strongly considering to change teams. :) More comfortable for me (ASL). Husband hearing but decent signer. It works for us.

Without HAs happy and comfortable but can't communicate with hearing people at all, would rather not use HAs. SO what do other people do? In a store, in a crowd, etc...? I've not crossed that bridge by yet because I always cave in and put the HAs on and lipread. I guess I am a pussy lol.

For me, it feels complex. If I put he HAs on and the people faced me I *can* understand speech. But really I'd rather be "naked" lol and just enjoy the day. I guess I feel "fake deaf" because I *can* sorta understand speech (if I try really hard and they face me) but would so much rather just not worry about sounds.

I think I know the answer.... If I choose Deaf then deal. What, write a note at the deli counter? Seriously, how do I choose Deaf and operate? I am so clueless, doh. Been dependent on big ole HA's so long. Just looking for another way to be.

love this forum.... and all your guys.
~lb

I am forced into the Deaf world every time my HA's break. I learned ASL when I was 14 years old. In the hearing world, I feel like a fish out of water when my HA's are not working. In the Deaf world, I always feel "home".

Trying to learn. Trying to change. Been HH whole life but now that I can sign better (not fluent - only decent) strongly considering to change teams. :) More comfortable for me (ASL). Husband hearing but decent signer. It works for us.

Without HAs happy and comfortable but can't communicate with hearing people at all, would rather not use HAs. SO what do other people do? In a store, in a crowd, etc...? I've not crossed that bridge by yet because I always cave in and put the HAs on and lipread. I guess I am a pussy lol.

For me, it feels complex. If I put he HAs on and the people faced me I *can* understand speech. But really I'd rather be "naked" lol and just enjoy the day. I guess I feel "fake deaf" because I *can* sorta understand speech (if I try really hard and they face me) but would so much rather just not worry about sounds.

I think I know the answer.... If I choose Deaf then deal. What, write a note at the deli counter? Seriously, how do I choose Deaf and operate? I am so clueless, doh. Been dependent on big ole HA's so long. Just looking for another way to be.

love this forum.... and all your guys.
~lb

i know where you are (not geographically, i mean culturally- im in similar boat, bot fluent but decent signer and still not Quite right IN Deaf culture)...
anyway really interesting that you're asking 'how to behave?'
guess you're looking for cultural nuances, it cant be learned in classes, its 'picked up', I'm not sure what to say, even I am not 'behaving like a full bore culturally Deaf, BUT I Do know I DO NOT behave like a hearies either, i have quirks, more looking about, (which sometimes for hearies to think im 'paranoid' or 'nervous', and or deafies might think im 'looking around too much like suspicious' no no and No, I'm just way more curious than ordinary Deafies I analyse everything, shop signs, logos, colours people wearing (and why), closely looking at hairstyles (whats new and/or why are they wearing that? curly hair or bald spot (even women have them!)..etc list goes on. I'm too 'active'...
but anyway..
the bit about writing notes over counter, yes i do that...not because a deafies taught me (no one did)i just had more tinnitus and deteriotated residental hearing and thus became less reliant on HAs so I was 'forced' to do note routines with hearing people, on 'good ear days' i might talk but not for long as i do get nervous of 'prolonged talking leads to tinnitus' so i cut off...that leaves me feeling cheated but tinnitus and cheated out of chance to meet new hearing people, and then at deaf club which i seldom find time to go, since im studying fulltime...i get slack in signs and sometimes just cant 'talk' at local deaf community's levels becuase all they talk about is rugby scores, gossips and none of these am i interested in......
it's hard.

@caz12. What kind of slack? Not understand.

@Grummer... Thanks. Had no idea you were in this boat. Figured you were all Deaf. Me just stupid hh. So hard to fit nowhere.

Back