How the CI brings you closer to people in a world full of sounds?

Jules

Reaction score
Hello everyone!!

It's been so long since I've posted a thread here, I'm a CI user and I'm so happy with it; I wasn't born deaf and I lost my hearing about 3 years ago due a autoimmune disease... So, I'm back with a question for you:

Cheers! :D

Assuming a DEAF person can benefit from having a Cochlear Implant- one can interact with "hearing persons" as one did prior to becoming DEAF-"hearing wise".

In a sense one is going "backwards-hearing wise" to what you were before.

So it "seems - from my experience of almost 5 years".

Assuming a DEAF person can benefit from having a Cochlear Implant- one can interact with "hearing persons" as one did prior to becoming DEAF-"hearing wise".

In a sense one is going "backwards-hearing wise" to what you were before.

So it "seems - from my experience of almost 5 years".

It was hard for me to communicate with people when I was waiting for my CI activation... Because I didn't know ASL and I was getting used to my condition of being deaf. Of course the CI has so many benefits and my hearing it's not like it used to be, but it's awesome that I can hear again.

How do you think it has helped you socially or in you work life or other activities? What would you say the pros and cons have been? Was it difficult to make the decision?

Did you go from hearing aids to the CI, or did you go as quickly as possible to the CIs?

How do you think it has helped you socially or in you work life or other activities? What would you say the pros and cons have been? Was it difficult to make the decision?

Did you go from hearing aids to the CI, or did you go as quickly as possible to the CIs?

BG, from what I've read, I think everyone has to try HAs before being considered for a CI.

BG, from what I've read, I think everyone has to try HAs before being considered for a CI.

I know; what I meant was using HAs for a long(ish) time, versus using them for just the minimum necessary before qualifying for CIs.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

When do I get promoted from Deaf to "DEAF?" And is there a secret handshake?

Hello everyone!!

It's been so long since I've posted a thread here, I'm a CI user and I'm so happy with it; I wasn't born deaf and I lost my hearing about 3 years ago due a autoimmune disease... So, I'm back with a question for you:

Cheers! :D
My daughter was born deaf. Her CI gave her the ability to communicate with her Dutch-speaking relatives and her Norwegian speaking friends and teachers.
Without Ci she would have used Norwegian sign language (NSL), limiting her (fluent) communication to only people that know NSL.
Even when her grandparents and other relative would want to learn sign language, it would never have been at a level of a native speaker.

Now, with Ci, she can call any family member or friend she wants, and have a conversation in Dutch or Norwegian..
English is getting along....

Back