How sturdy is the Ultratec Compact/C Portable TTY?

Jane B.

Reaction score
Although this is my first post I have done some lurking. And since this is about a TTY and I have found some making fun is those of us that still use a TTY I though some background might help. I have been HOH for many years but even the total loss of hearing in the left ear occurred after I learned to talk. Loss in the right ear got gradually worse as an adult. I have used Relay with a TTY and VCO for many years. I DO NOT SIGN!!! I took a community college course in sign twice but made no contacts to continue using it with and have forgotten most of it.

I have been using the Krown PocketComm with a cell phone for a number of years but am getting tired of the repeated repair/replacement. I had even gotten to the point of having two so that I would have a backup. At this point both are needing attention!

I have thus gotten to wondering about the Ultratec Compact/C portable TTY. It does have a couple of disadvantages that I know of. It is larger Size: 8.8" x 3.9" x 1.2"compared to approximately 4.25" x 3.25 x .5" for the the PocketComm. And from reading their site I find it does not have a built in mike so cord has to be pulled to respond when using VCO (I use VCO all the time).

Please do not suggest text instead! You have to have someone to text to and my bunch does NOT use it.

Would appreciate any feedback.
Jane B

PS The portable is not my only TTY as I have a full size one provided by the State of Illinois that is direct connected to my landline. It is used with a regular desktop phone/caller ID/answering machine combination for VCO Relay calls.

I had the ultratec portable one with phone. It was provided to me for work and 2 years later when VP came onto the scene I stopped used tty after a small water spill from a cup that fell over. I turnd it off and dried it off 24 hrs and tried using it again- it was toast. :(:pissed:

It was nice when it lasted, but for price of repair and price of getting a new on, I just got out of the tty age and never looked back. I am sure its the same with ALL tty's. they will break, the technology advances has slowed up big time since VP's came out on the market. I use VCO as well, but no longer use tty, but vp or ip based relays.

It sounds like you are not willing to use the online computers ip based like aim, or such and still use vco regular phone. Its the exact same thing as tty but cheaper and you don't need to carry tty anymore. Just get those tiny 250 bucks laptops and texting tty like. I am willing to bet its gonna be easier and cheaper for you in the short/long run. You will be able to tty out from wireless hotspots or home/office and use a cellphone for VCO . This will give you MORE freedom then the traditional tty's as a phone jack is not needed and no wires to pull on for VCO.

the online "tty" companies are just to name a few:
https://www.sprintip.com
http://www.siprelay.com
IP-Relay: The Leading IP-Relay Service for Deaf and Hard of Hearing People

I really appreciate you comments.

I do think that I need to expand my explanation of my circumstances for those here to understand WHY I am asking about portable TTYs . I am a retired bookkeeper that has been using different computers since the Radio Shack Model III in the 1980's. I lost the hearing in my left ear at the age of 5 following and ear infection after measles (although Dr. John Shea many years later said it did not look like typical infection damage but sensorineural). Additional problems in the right ear showed up as an adult leading to my first hearing aid in the 1970's when I was in my 30's. By the 1990's phones were almost impossible as even with an aid I do not get the subtle differences that turn speech from noise into words. In person I can supplement that with lip reading and having people write things down if I miss something that keeps what they are saying from making sense (especially in a noisy place). So, I expect it will not surprise you that I grew up in the hearing community and have stayed there. I am the only one in my bunch that has even enough of a hearing loss to wear an aid at all. That makes a difference in how I communicate!

VP’s — define please. I am assuming the ip is internet protocol?

I do use a regular TTY and VCO. Just what are you suggesting? How could it be cheaper especially when I am at home? The full size TTY that I use at home was FREE from a state program. Why would I want to carry a computer when out and don’t know if I will want to make a call or not?

I do not TEXT! As I said in my first post, I have no one to text to. Besides I talk faster than I type especially on a less than full size keyboard. I have my home TTY direct connected and set in such a place that it is easy to see but not to type on. A regular phone/caller ID/answering machine in one device is by it for using VCO.

I know of only two wireless hotspots in town. One I have never been in and the other one is a McDonald’s that 99% of the time that I am in there I am getting a “to-go” order. It just occurred to me that there may be a third one; but that is a restaurant that we eat at in a group so I am not wanting to make calls there. Why would I want to go somewhere to make a call when with a portable TTY and cell phone I can make a call with Relay and VCO from wherever I happen to be?

My problems with the PocketComm have not been things like spills or cable. One time was a matter of me being one of the people that got one of the ones from a batch that had defective microphones and they paid for that. I think that the PocketComm was designed by a man who did not consider that additional bumps etc. that a woman’s purse is subject to compared to a device clipped to a man’s waistband! And thus it is not as sturdy as a cell phone (I have had zero problems with using the same cell phone during this same time period!)

I hope what I have added helps people on this forum understand the “why” of my questions about the durability of the Compact/C.

When the latest problems first surfaced with my PocketComms I had hoped to go to this Hamilton CapTel: Mobile CapTel: What is Mobile CapTel? or service from a similar site instead. But that requires 3G service from a GSM cell provider. I discovered I am STUCK in a 2G area with not signs of it being upgraded any time soon. Another thing that I had hopes for after I found out about it in December, 2010 was Captioned Telephone Services by Sprint CapTel. We are still waiting. In fact, the latest I have gotten from a contact at Sprint is “I apologize for my delay in responding as I was ot of the office the first couple days of the week. I can understand you are losing patience and apologize for this. We want to make sure this product is the best and there will not be any challenges for our customers when ts launched.

That saiid, it hasn't been released as of yet and at this time I cant promise it will be the end of this month. As you can see the news is coming and we are working diligently.”

I had the ultratec portable one with phone. It was provided to me for work and 2 years later when VP came onto the scene I stopped used tty after a small water spill from a cup that fell over. I turnd it off and dried it off 24 hrs and tried using it again- it was toast. :(:pissed:

It was nice when it lasted, but for price of repair and price of getting a new on, I just got out of the tty age and never looked back. I am sure its the same with ALL tty's. they will break, the technology advances has slowed up big time since VP's came out on the market. I use VCO as well, but no longer use tty, but vp or ip based relays.

It sounds like you are not willing to use the online computers ip based like aim, or such and still use vco regular phone. Its the exact same thing as tty but cheaper and you don't need to carry tty anymore. Just get those tiny 250 bucks laptops and texting tty like. I am willing to bet its gonna be easier and cheaper for you in the short/long run. You will be able to tty out from wireless hotspots or home/office and use a cellphone for VCO . This will give you MORE freedom then the traditional tty's as a phone jack is not needed and no wires to pull on for VCO.

the online "tty" companies are just to name a few:
https://www.sprintip.com
http://www.siprelay.com
IP-Relay: The Leading IP-Relay Service for Deaf and Hard of Hearing People

ok- I'll try to explain the best I can.

Apparently it appears you haven't seen the new technologies and seen how it works that is now available for the EXACT same thing you want to do. It is different then what you are used to.

VP mean videophones. I was only referring to it to let you know I know what you are saying and it not what I am trying to explain.

I get the part you don't text, but rather use the VCO option to do the communication. I am sure you "texted a little" to tell relay you want VCO. then the texting stops there.;)

IP- yes internet protocol.

forget the hotspots and such for now. In my mind, having a laptop to do act like TTY is much easier, and cheaper then getting another tty. IF something happens to the tty you have and it breaks and no where near a backup, then you are stuck. having a laptop means you are NOT bound to that laptop only. no additional network fees is needed if you can get internet access at home or work or hotel. IF laptop breaks- just simply go to another computer or laptop or freinds and still make calls.

I only can explain the benefits for you, not a specific company to communicate with your hearing peers. There are several companies that offers this kind of service and I am not affiliated with any right now. If you were near me, I'd be happy to meet somewhere to show what I mean to get what you want to do.

IF this is none to your fancy, then I regret to say that its gonna be difficult to find a reliable, tough TTY that will last as the tty industry is winding down. I am not saying it will go away, but much rather they are ramping down the production and technolgy changes in TTY's as majority of users went to VP(videophones). YOu can still get ttys, but you wil just gonna have to get what you think is best for you and hope it doesnt break. I hope this doesnt sound harsh or anything, but rather just trying to let you know what I havee seen and understand.

On the side note, you could still get both. IF you already have a pc(doesnt have to be laptop) you can setup a IP based relay with VCO option as a backup or just to try and see. :P:wave:

Illinois Relay has a toll free nbr for VCO. All I need to do is dial that nbr and when the CA comes on voice the nbr of the party (business or individual) I want. It is then connected as a VCO call.

I have a laptop but I am certainly not going to carry that around constantly to have with me in case I want to make a call. Based on the measurements of the Compact/C I could stick it in my purse along with a cell phone like I have been doing with the PocketComm and it is there if I decide I want to make a call. As an example: Without planning on it ahead of time I have been known to pull out the combination in a store to call to tell someone about finding something that we have talked about trying to find to buy.

What I started this to try to find out is if the Compact/C is a sturdier piece of equipment than the PocketComm when carried around in a woman's purse in order to have it along to use on the spur of the moment.

As far as a VP everything I have seen about them indicates that BOTH parties to the call need to know sign. I do not sign and my hearing friends certainly do not. I think I said this earlier but I took a community college course twice and neither time did I make any contacts to continue to use it; thus I have forgotten 99% or so of what I learned.

ok- I'll try to explain the best I can.

Apparently it appears you haven't seen the new technologies and seen how it works that is now available for the EXACT same thing you want to do. It is different then what you are used to.

VP mean videophones. I was only referring to it to let you know I know what you are saying and it not what I am trying to explain.

I get the part you don't text, but rather use the VCO option to do the communication. I am sure you "texted a little" to tell relay you want VCO. then the texting stops there.;)

IP- yes internet protocol.

forget the hotspots and such for now. In my mind, having a laptop to do act like TTY is much easier, and cheaper then getting another tty. IF something happens to the tty you have and it breaks and no where near a backup, then you are stuck. having a laptop means you are NOT bound to that laptop only. no additional network fees is needed if you can get internet access at home or work or hotel. IF laptop breaks- just simply go to another computer or laptop or freinds and still make calls.

I only can explain the benefits for you, not a specific company to communicate with your hearing peers. There are several companies that offers this kind of service and I am not affiliated with any right now. If you were near me, I'd be happy to meet somewhere to show what I mean to get what you want to do.

IF this is none to your fancy, then I regret to say that its gonna be difficult to find a reliable, tough TTY that will last as the tty industry is winding down. I am not saying it will go away, but much rather they are ramping down the production and technolgy changes in TTY's as majority of users went to VP(videophones). YOu can still get ttys, but you wil just gonna have to get what you think is best for you and hope it doesnt break. I hope this doesnt sound harsh or anything, but rather just trying to let you know what I havee seen and understand.

On the side note, you could still get both. IF you already have a pc(doesnt have to be laptop) you can setup a IP based relay with VCO option as a backup or just to try and see. :P:wave:

That prove that there are certain people prefer the live-comm than rather use text. You can find smartphone that have VCO or Caption Calls app to use. You can check out at google

Wirelessly posted

Very sturdy. I have 1140 tty and it put up alot of abuse from moving and taking it in and out of storage (I have no place to put it because of limited of landline outlet.)

That prove that there are certain people prefer the live-comm than rather use text. You can find smartphone that have VCO or Caption Calls app to use. You can check out at google

Thanks for understanding what I am wanting to do. The one problem with your suggestion is that those phones require 3G service from a GSM carrier! I am STUCK in a 2G area for the ONLY GSM carrier that serves this area at all. Please see my further comments on this in the next to the last paragraph of my comments in post #3. I sooo wish that being stuck in a 2G area wasn't the case for me as then I would have had one of those phones many months ago!

Wirelessly posted

Very sturdy. I have 1140 tty and it put up alot of abuse from moving and taking it in and out of storage (I have no place to put it because of limited of landline outlet.)

Thanks. The only thing is you are referring to a different model than I am interested in. What I am inquiring about is the Ultratec Compact/C Portable TTY. Here is where it is shown on the mfg's site: Ultratec » Products » Text Telephones » Portable TTYs » Compact/C It is small enough to stick in a purse and carry around daily just in case I have reason to make a phone call — cell or landline. And I am wondering how well it stands up to such use.

You complain about carrying a laptop
How about a netbook then?

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but one thing comes to mind is that I assume a TTY purchase would come with a money back guarantee. You could always try it and if you find you don't think its sturdy enough you could return it in the time specified. But the others are right,
TTYs have become obsolete, more or less, as everyone else is using computers or cell phones to accomplish what a TTY does.

Thanks for understanding how personal preference enters into choices.

Unfortunately, in this area of the US, I am at the mercy of AT &T getting towers upgraded from 2G to 3G and they show NO sign of being willing to do that! Or Sprint actually getting the service/phone combination they are working on active. I had looked into such a phone before posting here. Please see toward the bottom of my post at post #3 for more detail.

Wirelessly posted

Thanks but we are talking about two different models. What I am asking about is the Compact/C which when folded shut is 8.8" x 3.9" x 1.2 and can thus be put in a purse to have along even when you have not planned on making calls ahead of time. The manufacturer has a fairly large illustration at http://www.ultratec.com/images/compactc_large.jpg

Thanks for understanding what I am wanting to do. The one problem with your suggestion is that those phones require 3G service from a GSM carrier! I am STUCK in a 2G area for the ONLY GSM carrier that serves this area at all. Please see my further comments on this in the next to the last paragraph of my comments in post #3. I sooo wish that being stuck in a 2G area wasn't the case for me as then I would have had one of those phones many months ago!

there is 2.5G know as EDGE which allow both voice and data which you would to look for phone that support. EDGE is huge cover under at&t

there is 2.5G know as EDGE which allow both voice and data which you would to look for phone that support. EDGE is huge cover under at&t
I have EDGE with my BB under T-Mobile.

Some of you have undoubtedly heard of Hamilton Mobile CapTel. (Please see Hamilton CapTel: Mobile CapTel and the following pages at that site). I would love to be using this rather than looking to replace the PocketComm TTYs that I have had trouble with not being as sturdy as a cell phone. But, I am in a 2G (EDGE/GPRS) area with NO plans by AT&T to upgrade our towers and Hamilton and a few other sites, that I can’t think of at the moment, say their service ONLY works in a 3G area! Just called AT&T and 2.5G means nothing to them. Once again they show my area as 2G (EDGE/GPRS).

Have any of you used this service? What has happened with it when you get into an AT & T 2G area?

I keep mentioning AT&T because that is the GSM carrier that offers service in this area.

Back