how old when you move out first time?

I was 16. I moved back in 3 weeks! then moved out for good at 18. It was the 70's and I was a crazy young boy. Seeking adventure. I moved in to a house with about 6 other people and they had wild parties every day all nite! It was great the first 3 days but i got tired of it! No privacy! I had more privacy at home then lol.

Moved out of my mother's womb when I was 7 and half months old! :lol: :D

I moved out when I was 17 (I just had graduated from HS) and was staying with couple of friends and just turned 18 right before enrolling at Gallaudet in the fall. I've been basically on my own ever since....

Very similar circumstances for me, just right before HS graduation, then on to second place just prior to college. I'm just glad my parents gave me some serious pointers or I would have ended up doing the trial & error thing like most newly admitted kids.

Moving out...

I moved out of my parents' house when I was 23 and shared apt with roomate and worked at a resturant for 5 years then quit that job to be a housekeeper since. The reason why I moved out is I want my own independence and don't want to fight more with my dad about stupid curfews which I hated it but right now I get along with him and I love him but don't want to see him to have a heart attack. That's all that matters to me. At first it was very hard for me to struggle with bills and everything for a while then finally everything went well for me. I have a hard time to find jobs around here right now since it's a small town though but it's not far for me to visit my family there. I hate it when anyone who ruin my opporunities for my future like going to college or trying to get a good pay job. It happened to me 3 times before. I don't want them to get in my way and go in the wrong time and wrong place but I prefer wait for the right time. I'm taking my own time to think it over. It won't hurt after all. Smile. I'm sure some of you guys feel that way too and some don't. It depends on what kind of reasons you have.

I moved out when I was 20 but now back at my parents.....will be there for a little while longer.

I moved out when my dad passed away in 2002. I was 25 years old back then.

I moved out when I was 17 and never looked back. It was hard surviving, but I made it. Nuff said.

20 then back home for 1 year thern finally left for real at 22

I grew up in foster care in Wisconsin, and after moving to one very last foster home where the parents were so weird and the foster dad could make his 13 years old son cry, I had to put my feet down and get out. I had enough of foster care and threatened my social worker that I would go live on the streets if my social worker didn't let me get an apartment of my own. That prompted/forced my social worker to find me an apartment and I moved out and I was 18 years old and with not one penny in my pocket. The new foster care agency was real good and paid my rent until my SSI kicked in, and then I ran out and rented a house for only $360/month. I often went hungry for one or two days. I had friends whose families would help me out and let me eat at their houses, etc. No social workers or VR people thought I could survive, they would talk shit to me for renting that house, etc, told me I would fail, etc...but I told everyone to fuck off because I am now an adult and can take of myself and can handle everything and that I don't need them. I've been on my own since, and it's been almost 11 years since. I've been through alot of shit. I've even been homeless for almost a year, etc...but I made it on my own and am here now in my own apartment in Texas and I am happy...all the shit I went through, even the homelessness, it was ALL worth it! I'm tougher than everyone thinks. When I was homeless I didn't give in and go back to my parents' house...no fucking way....I would rather be homeless than live with my abusive parents who liked to hit me all the time...no thanks. Someone suggested that I move in with my parents when I lost my apartment in St. Cloud, MN...I said HELL NO. Instead I went to live on a farm 70 miles away with 9 other people who were all really weird, two of those 9 people were teenage kids, they were there cuz their mother is a whore (for real...she has sex with different men every night and completely neglected her kids) and doesn't care and was never ever home, they had to share one bed, sometimes when their mother was home she would share the bed with her two kids, as we only had 3 beds and one couch, I looked after them, and the house had only three bedrooms and ONE BATHROOM...it was pure insanity but I toughed it out as I had no other choice, and saved my money up so that I can get the hell out of Minnesota for good and I moved to San Antonio after 11 months of being homeless and living on that farm! All that hell was worth it because I was able to save up enough money to actually make the major move clear across the country like I wanted, it made my plan a total success...I was SUPPOSED to move here in 2005 but my ex roommate fucked my plans up so I had to postpone that for 11 months so that I could save up my money all over again. I moved here in April of 2006. I am happy and content here in San Antonio and have no intentions of moving out of the city.

So, nope, I am not a failure as some people wanted to think I was. Just because I had been homeless for 11 months doesn't mean I failed. If it meant I failed, then I wouldn't be here posting on AllDeaf! Homelessness was just simply a glitch in my life, a temporary glitch, that got fixed. I'm here now in my own apartment and I am safe and happy.

Back