How old were you when you first experienced job discrimination as deaf person

clwdeaf

Reaction score
How old was I when I first experienced job discrimination? I was 19 years old. Even though I was raised by deaf parents, I experienced my first "discrimination" when I tried to apply for a job at the Bagel cafe. A job agency referred me to Bagel Cafe and I called that number and the manager answered the phone and knew it was a relay phone call and hung up on me. I called again, she refused to pick up the phone. I had to drive over there to the place to clear or solve any misunderstandings but the clerk told me that their manager refused to come out of her office to talk to me just because she knew I was deaf!! That was my first "slap in the face" experience!!! I felt so bad as I went home. After that I began stopping looking for jobs. So, now I have a job, looking back, WOW, that was tough on me as a deaf person.

clwdeaf

I've never experienced discrimination because I was deaf, but because of other reasons.

I've interviewed for 14 and was hired for 12 jobs and never had any problems with deaf discrimination. There was one job when my supervisor refused to promote me. But then again, he refused to promote anyone else in my department... hearing or deaf. So, that's not deaf-related. Of course, I saw him again when I was manager at Blockbuster Video. He actually laughed when he saw me and said, "Ah, you work here? Let me guess, cashier? Hahaha!" I then humbly replied, "No, I'm the manager." He choked and walked out the store in shame. :Owned:

Anyway, I mentioned that I worked 12 out of 14 jobs I interviewed for. One of those jobs that I was denied for was because I was not qualified enough. The other job was because I was a white male. :roll: NTID has an affirmative action thing going on and usually pick foreign females over white males, regardless of their skills and qualifications. I applied for a co-op position with the NTID Learning Center (computer lab). They wanted a person who had good communication skills and could socialize with anyone. I met those qualifications. Yet, they hired a deaf Asian girl who had no social skills or good communication skills. She always avoids confrontation and doesn't bother to stop and say "hi" to anyone. This wasn't the only time this happened. The guy who worked there the year before me didn't get the position at the beginning. They picked a deaf Russian girl instead. However, she never showed up or informed them that she wouldn't be there. She basically disappeared and decided to go home to chill for a few months. Since that happened, they called this other guy and he got the job... luckily. :roll:

I've interviewed for 14 and was hired for 12 jobs and never had any problems with deaf discrimination. There was one job when my supervisor refused to promote me. But then again, he refused to promote anyone else in my department... hearing or deaf. So, that's not deaf-related. Of course, I saw him again when I was manager at Blockbuster Video. He actually laughed when he saw me and said, "Ah, you work here? Let me guess, cashier? Hahaha!" I then humbly replied, "No, I'm the manager." He choked and walked out the store in shame.

That's funny, VamPyrox! Some hearing people (I said some, not all) still think deaf people shouldn't be in managerial positions!

I was sixteen, three years ago. I forget what the company was called(they closed about a year later), but they told me that they can't hire "disabled" people. :ugh3:
My parents friends would have me babysit sometimes, and I usually did it for free(these people were on welfare...didn't feel right to take their money). BUT...One couple, with four kids, obviously thought because I was hoh that I'm not going to be a good babysitter. The mom turned on the baby monitor in the kitchen where I was with my friend who was helping me (There was 16 kids in total...) and everytime she heard one of her kids call me, before I could even get to them, she ran in and was like "You can't hear or understand them, forget it" :mad: Right, when 3 out of 4 of your kids can speak properly and the youngest can sign...yeah...I wouldn't be able to understand them at all.
I think that was the last time I babysat them...

-Krista

Hi Krista,

From what I learned and have seen stories from my deaf parents and deaf hubby, Most Hearing people (I said most, not all) often do not believe deaf people can be parents or even babysit!!!

I remember I was 16, like you, and the couple could not really trust a young deaf teenage girl alone with their kids so they coupled me up with my friend who is hearing and knew sign language.

I knew one hearing girl who had deaf parents, she overheard a hearing couple gossiping bad against a new deaf couple with a newborn baby, thinking they cannot take care of a baby! My friend stood up to them and was angry and told them "Listen, I do not care what you think, but you got to stop judging this young deaf couple with baby, because I was raised by deaf parents, they are good parents!!!" She then introduced her deaf mother, who happened to be a visitor, to them!

Almost every job that I applied for, I got in!!! The one job that sticks out in my mind that I didn't get was a library clerk because I wasn't qualified enough.

That's funny, VamPyrox! Some hearing people (I said some, not all) still think deaf people shouldn't be in managerial positions!
Yeah, one reason is because of the use of phones. Managers are often expected to be able to use the phone since most phone calls made to the store are for managers.

i was discrimination when i was 16..
by like 4 different jobs..
then finally found a job before

I was 25 years old and had a job discrimination due to barrier communication, controlling my life through my boss to order me to learn lipreading and go to speech therapy but I refused to take it and had to be suspending by my boss for one without paying. I got argument with my supervisor and boss about deaf rights not to take speech therapy for a job. But finally my boss dropped discussing with me. Second, my boss refused to let me go to my graduation then he gave me a suspension without paying. I just got new job till 4 months later I quit my job due to worse condition with job discrimination too much. I myself really loved my job as my talent, but was very disappointed in this situation with my company! This is long story happening to me in past but Just give you few details here

Yeah, one reason is because of the use of phones. Managers are often expected to be able to use the phone since most phone calls made to the store are for managers.

I agree with you. I am clerical and notice most job position is CLERICAL that use a phone most of time. I get frustration and can't find job because that stupid phone issue! Anyway, I personally believe that most companies are disciminating deaf clerical due to phone issues and won't hire them to work with companies. There is no excuse for company to find another postion for deaf person to work instead of using phone! How about this dealing???

In every job I've been in...

I have always experienced on-going discrimination in New Zealand.

Started being discriminated in jobs when I was 12 (after school jobs), even from the point I had finished High School and worked full-time... and still on-going. It seems every Tom, Dick and Harry is so concerned over communication issues and it gets ridiculious when they themself can not understand the definition of 'communication'.

My experience only applies to what I have personally gone through, it does not apply to every Deaf person that has a good communicative non-discriminatory employer.

At least I don't sit back and do nothing... I prefer to 'kick ass'... hence one of the many reasons why I got involved in Human Rights.

If you are going to be at the WFD Congress on Madrid, Spain during July, you get to see more of me there on stage with the Human Rights, Lingual Rights and Culture Commission... as a Keynote Speaker and facilitating that Commission as International President... I welcome all to the hot interesting topic discussions over there with the means of pro-active actions!

Kim aka WonderBum!

I agree with you. I am clerical and notice most job position is CLERICAL that use a phone most of time. I get frustration and can't find job because that stupid phone issue! Anyway, I personally believe that most companies are disciminating deaf clerical due to phone issues and won't hire them to work with companies. There is no excuse for company to find another postion for deaf person to work instead of using phone! How about this dealing???
It wouldn't be a clerical job if it didn't have a phone. ;)

There's no point in suing a company for not hiring you for a position that requires you to use a phone. Otherwise, if they did... they would have to start advertising to their clients to call the relay number "on Mondays to Thursdays between 8 am and 3 pm" just to satisfy your accommodation. ;)

There's no point in suing a company for not hiring you for a position that requires you to use a phone. Otherwise, if they did... they would have to start advertising to their clients to call the relay number "on Mondays to Thursdays between 8 am and 3 pm" just to satisfy your accommodation. ;)

Yea, why not? That way less deaf people can collect SSI since many entry level jobs require phone work so where can deaf people start out?

I experienced job discrimination at 18 years old working at Jack in the Box. I worked there for 3 years since I was 15 and gotten "Employee of the Month" awards and such but when I turned 18, I felt I was ready for the shift leader (not managerial but like run a shift without the manager there) position. My boss was promoting people who were there less than I was to those positions so I approached my boss to tell him that I felt I was qualified and I was interested in it. He got all uncomfortable and said that I wasnt qualified. I was shocked thinking I must have not done high quality work. I asked him what he meant and pls to give me feedback so I could improve. He looked like he was thinking "oh shit" in his mind and avoiding eye contact, he told me that he felt my deafness wouldnt make me a good shift leader cuz I needed to communciate with the workers and customers if problems arised. I told him that I can communicate with anyone (at that time I was very oral and didnt know ASL) but no luck. OOHH see how well my oral skills helped me there? Didnt do shit for me! The so-called experts say deaf people with oral skills are more likely to succeed so what was that all about? I quit the next day cuz it was BS. I wish I had known about the ADA laws back then cuz I would have sued their ass off.

Then at 20 years old, I got a job working for an insurance company starting out as a mail clerk. In the 3 years, I moved up 3 levels and I applied for the 4th level which was an insurance underwriter. I had met all the qualifications for that position but I was denied cuz I couldnt answer the phones as required by the job. I was very frustrated and bummed out cuz I worked hard and the stupid phone issue prevented me from moving up any more. Think I was gonna stay as a data entry clerk for the rest of my life? Fuck that so I quit and went back to school.

I wont accept low paying jobs just because I am deaf which was why I went back to school to get the education required for the higher paying jobs.

However, suppose I wasnt able to go back to school due to financial reasons and I had to stay at the insurance job? Is it right that I cant move up due to my deafness even though I had a working knowledge of the company and its policies??? Hell, even during meetings, I had ideas and I brought them up but all I got was.."Ok ok and next?" Not even take my ideas into consideration? Wonder why? I asked my co worker about it and she said that the boss felt that due to my deafness I was low functioning and wasnt capable of coming up with good ideas for the company. I was furious but my coworker told me not to say anything for fear of losing her job. I was too niave and went along with her wishes. If I knew what I knew now back then, I would have taken some serious action. Damn!

No wonder I dont really like the idea of working with all hearing again. At my job, I feel valued and respected as a professional. Now, that is in danger cuz of soo many "oral" programs and parents wanting their deaf children to be "oral" I may not have a job anymore in the near future. Would these parents of oral only deaf children want a deaf teacher teaching their children using ASL? I wonder...

In my state, they said it is discrimination for anyone not to be hired because of phone issue. We feel like it is a barrier for us who are not getting a job. I did have an interview with the boss and made a dealing with my boss to find a way to work without a phone. It was working out. In otherwise, the advocate in my state says yes it is true discrimination if we do not get a job while they make excuse not to hire deaf person to work.

Back