how old were you do manual transmission?

Did you know that you can start the car while in reverse? (of course manual trans) When I parked my car on a slight incline, the time I found out the battery was dead and it wouldn't start. I shifted it into reverse and let it slide backwards and let go the clutch....the engine started. :) It's easier to start the car in reverse than in forward due to low gear ratio.

Did you know that you can start the car while in reverse? (of course manual trans) When I parked my car on a slight incline, the time I found out the battery was dead and it wouldn't start. I shifted it into reverse and let it slide backwards and let go the clutch....the engine started. :) It's easier to start the car in reverse than in forward due to low gear ratio.

That's what I did on posting # 55.... "I remmy I used to have 1977 toyota corolla that always have problemic starter (I called it a Russian Roulett starter). I always have to park uphill. I shift reverse and let car roll back down and starts."
Catty

That's what I did on posting # 55.... "I remmy I used to have 1977 toyota corolla that always have problemic starter (I called it a Russian Roulett starter). I always have to park uphill. I shift reverse and let car roll back down and starts."
Catty

Ohh, I missed that post. :P

Yeah can't blame ya. If battery goes, car computer goes dead, car's dead and it's useless! Thankyou very much!! Maybe buy 10 of 9v batteries and hook it up in parallel on 12v battery to charge up car battery then roll and start... Old car can starts with dead battery and good alternator. I'm missing good Ol' day when life was simple!!

Catty

That's true that life was simple and cars was easy to repair. However, I've heard my dad talk about cars then and that it was considered very good to get 100,000 miles out of a car while today getting 300,000 is not a problem if properly taken care of.

I'm sure they did require alot of repairs then compared to today.

I think that is not a good idea for modern auto car. those damn computers, you know. I'm just glad that I'm still driving a car with minimal amount of computers. I don't need no damn trouble trying to turn on a radio for 5 min in those fancy car. knobs and buttons will do for me :cool2:
I agree. I used to have a car that was all digital. The speedometer, the odometer, the gas meter, the oil meter, the battery meter, etc... all digital. Of course, this killed my car as soon as my battery got a tiny bit weaker.

The same thing happened to my dad's SUV once. It was all digital. :roll:

That's true that life was simple and cars was easy to repair. However, I've heard my dad talk about cars then and that it was considered very good to get 100,000 miles out of a car while today getting 300,000 is not a problem if properly taken care of.

I'm sure they did require alot of repairs then compared to today.

I second that!!

I agree. I used to have a car that was all digital. The speedometer, the odometer, the gas meter, the oil meter, the battery meter, etc... all digital. Of course, this killed my car as soon as my battery got a tiny bit weaker.

The same thing happened to my dad's SUV once. It was all digital. :roll:

What kind Suv? I am sure he abused on it or dont know how to use. :giggle:

My mom own BMW 528i for 8 years and no problem with high-tech digital.

I think i may have to buy a truck with manual.
I wonder how can profound deaf drivers drive manual sticks?
esp the people who do not wear hearing aids and dont hear.

I think i may have to buy a truck with manual.
I wonder how can profound deaf drivers drive manual sticks?
esp the people who do not wear hearing aids and dont hear.

if you can use computer, ride bike, walk on public sidewalk, watch tv... all without HA... then surely you can drive manual sticks... like me :cool2:

I was 17 when I started doing stickshifts. I learned doing this on 3 of my daddy's vehicles a 72 Jeep 6 cyl 3 speed, a 73 Jeep V8 3 speed, and a 81 F250 Ford with the 300 6 cyl and 4 speed. I didnt start driving stickshifts full time until I got my 84 Audi Coupe GT. Since then with 2 exceptions (87 Colt and 95 Neon both autos) I've been driving stickshifts since.

Thanks for the tips about the battery dead. I have a 1998 decent car --- with manual and I park my car UP hill on the driveway, I'll come to mind when my batteries dies next time but it won't be anytime soon! Becuase the battery's new (replaced last year)

Oh I should mention stickshifts have the advantage over auto when it comes to dead battries!

I had a 85 Dodge Daytona with a dead starter. For the next 4 months I started it by pushing it downhill then slamming it into 1st and pull clutch *whhaammm...2.2 motor comes to life* then I went away my merry way until I park it again. continued doing it until I finally replaced the starter. Drove it for 4 more months until oil leaks forced me to trade it in for my 1994 Ford Ranger (with 5 speed!) at the BMW dealer...

I learned how to use stick when I was 17 years old. I drove two cars with manual until few years ago when I decided to switch to car with auto for two reasons: who can drive me home if i am under influence and going on the loooong trip is royal pain if no one know how to use stick.

I did about 9 or 10 years old. :fingersx:
2bf5_1.jpg

Not everything on real car...that not what I mean "can't do tire change"!:cool2:

Back