How often do you have speech therapy as an adult?

I had it from age 2 to 23 years old. People are alway shocked at how good my speech is. You wouldn't know that I've been profoundly deaf all my life.

I had from 10 months old - 17 years old. How long, I wouldn't know as a toddler but during Elementary, probably twice a week for 1 hour maybe more? High school, one hour, once a week.

i went to speech therapy most of my childhood. i guess i speak well now. i dont go now. ive heard i speak well my audiologist was surprised at what i couldn't hear

More than I can possibly count... I believe I went 3 - 5 times a week... every day I got out of school.... when I was young... :roll: :mad: I still go biweekly ... :roll: Keeps me communicating clearly from what I hear others tell me... :dunno2: Can't wait till I retire and just won't care anymore... :mad:

I didn't say I want to have a hearing voice. I want to have my speech to sound clear.

Yes, don't let anyone discourage you. ( Especially DD she always gets all grr with this crap ) I know this thread is old... but I was born stone Deaf as in zilch nadda and people who hear me speak say they would have never guessed if I wouldn't have pointed out my C.I. :) Just keep working at it and work really hard! :) I went a LOT as a kid, and I still keep up with it as an adult. I'm sure some of it is because I carry a bit of an accent from being Romanian, however I really don't care. I never have anyone tell me I have to repeat what I say a million times, and I never have people look at me odd when I speak so it can't be omg super terrible. :) Just REALLY work hard at it, keep up with it and it can work for you. Anything is possible with hard work and determination. :) Good luck to you. :) :hug:

Wow I feel discouraged. I mean it's all about financial need. I'm a nursing student here in Canada and the tuition fees are extremely expensive so there's no way that I can afford private speech therapy. Even in hospitals, we still have to pay for the sessions unless we are hospitalized due to an illness or injury that affects speech development.

I'm on social assistance and if I want to have speech therapy once a week, it would be around $500. If I have one session every two weeks, it would cost $270. I was thinking of going with $270 but I really don't know if twice a month is really sufficient.

Thanks to Canada, I may not even be eligible to get financial help from my school or there were even no classes related to speech-language pathology.

I am absolutely determined to get speech therapy and work harder to improve my speech on my own, with the guidance and help from a SLP. However thanks to financial obstacles, it's pissing me off...........

Should I go ahead with twice a month?

twice a month is a better choice for now, so you ll figure out with your finanical plan for more therapy.

Back