how much work to be interpreter?

alice2002

Reaction score
Hi,

I would love to hear what you all have to say about this. Since I was in high school (13 years ago), I have thought of being an interpreter. I learned some sign language while in school, and I took some classes on ASL from a deaf lady who taught out of her home.
After I was out of school, I was a teacher's aid in a preschool that had a deaf/hoh class with 4 children. I was offered a job as an interpreter for one of the little girls who would be in a hearing kindergarten. I would have loved it...(she was so sweet),but my family moved out of the area, so I had to turn it down.
I've used sign language on and off over the past 10 years doing things like teaching basic signs to kids. What I'd like to do is be able to interpret the services at my church. I am not ready to do that yet, but I am taking another class from a lady who is using the lifeprint.com website to teach from. She has a Master's in Deaf Education, and interprets at her church.
I am married and have 3 young children (ages 2-6) and also homeschool my children. Obviously I don't have the time that a full time college student would have to study and practice. I guess I wanted to know how much time will it take to get my skills up enough to interpret. I'm not talking about being a certified interpreter. I don't have the money for college classes, and I'm not sure what is required to be certified. I'm looking at this as a way to volunteer my time...not make a career out of it. Obviously no one can give me a completely acurate time table, since you don't know my skill level now...but some kind of idea would be great. Is it unrealistic to pursue this? Am I too old? :)
I have had 4 weeks of lessons, and so far, about 95% of the material is review. Which is good, since it's been so long since I've actively worked on ASL.
I appreciate any help with this!
Thanks!

In addition to fluency, which Bottesini has covered, additional training in interpreting. There are even fluent people who can't (or shouldn't) interpret.

For starters, read this book:

So You Want To Be An Interpreter? 4th Edition

(You can probably get it at the library, with or without the DVD.)

It won't teach you to become an interpreter but it will give you an idea of what's involved in becoming an interpreter.

Also, the RID.org site will cover what's required for certification.

Hmm... So basically I shouldn't waste my time? I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.
Thanks!

Hmm... So basically I shouldn't waste my time? I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.
Thanks!
I didn't say that. Get started now with whatever training and experience you can get. You never know when the opportunity down the road will open up for you to go full speed ahead. You are especially blessed if you have a good mentor, and can be involved in the local deaf community.

There are also distance learning opportunities and local workshops that you can look into. Check with your state's residential deaf school for opportunities.

I don't see how any pursuit of language skills could ever be a waste of time.

Yeah if you want to do it bad enough, then that's nothing! I found that if you discover what you really want to do in life, it will never be a bore, a pain, or burden to study and do what it takes to succeed. That's how I am when it comes to ASL anyway...

reba is the #1 AD interpreter. she became a certified terp because she had the semi-auto with 19 rounds when everyone else had a 6-shooter

reba is the #1 AD interpreter. she became a certified terp because she had the semi-auto with 19 rounds when everyone else had a 6-shooter
:shock:

not to say your terp skills are not the best. but you have to admit firepower wins over the rid test results

You need 4 quarters of ASL. ASL 1-4. ASL 5-6 is recommended, but not needed. You need a ba or bs degree too. In the past you did not need that.

RID

In addition to fluency, which Bottesini has covered, additional training in interpreting. There are even fluent people who can't (or shouldn't) interpret.

For starters, read this book:

So You Want To Be An Interpreter? 4th Edition

(You can probably get it at the library, with or without the DVD.)

It won't teach you to become an interpreter but it will give you an idea of what's involved in becoming an interpreter.

Also, the RID.org site will cover what's required for certification.

Reba I had no idea that this book was out there. I will look for it ASAP! thanks for posting it.

Interpreter Student

I myself joined an interpreting program and I must say it is very difficult. It's one thing to know the language, it's another to interpret it. You have to learn about yourself and how you remember information. I have to practice a lot! If you have a bachelors degree in anything you can get licensed as an interpreter. I was in the interpreting program and dropped out with one semester to go, long story why, and I graduated with a Bachelors in Communication. I am presently studying to become licensed. There are two parts to the test, written and performance. While I'm studying for the tests I have started my own business of teaching sign language. [Mod Note: Please no business links] Feel free to check it out, maybe it's something you might be interested in. :)
So like the other person said it's not a waste of time but it is a lot of hard work. Goodluck!

Back