how much should I charge?

robbielyn

Reaction score
I work at a hospital in admissions, and a volunteer in her 60's asked me to teach her and her hh husband sign language. He wears hearing aids and both are very active in the hearing community. They merely want to learn to communicate easier and think learning it now is a good time. I was thinking $25/hr each person. I've known sign for over 20 years and have a very large vocabulary. She said they don't want a deeply detailed lessons on grammar like you might get at a school that teaches it. So let me know what sounds fair. Don't want to overcharge or undercharge. Thanks Robbielyn

That sounds very high to me. For that amount of money they could take a college class. If it were me I would charge $10/hr if this is going to be an informal tutoring-type environment. Maybe $15/hr at most if you are going to get involved with books and tapes and so forth.

Since you say they're in their 60s, you may want to take their financial situation into account (whether they're working or on a fixed income, etc.).

If they are a couple and taking the lessons together, then there's really no reason to charge them individually.

Where will you be conducting these classes? At their home, or your home, or at some other place? That can make a difference if a lot of driving is involved.

One other idea--barter. If they have skills that they can exchange for your services, and you can be specific in your agreement, then that can be an option.

I've done bartered services, and Hubby does it in his business also. We haven't accepted any chickens or pigs yet but you'd be surprised what you can get. :)

If they are a couple and taking the lessons together, then there's really no reason to charge them individually.

Whoa, I missed the "per person" part. Definitely, I agree with Reba entirely.

If it was me, i would not charge them anything at all. There are in their 60's and they may be on fixed income or they may be rich for all I know. They want to communicate because they love each other and we never know how much longer they may live. Take me for example, I am not supposed to be alive today and yet I am married and have 2 children. I would love to communicate to my family whom I love very much. And yet I speak 4 different spoken language and 3 different sign langauges. No matter how much or how little I know of anything, I would not charge a dime if they have a desire to learn something new.

Back