How much do you wear your hearing aids?

How often do you wear your hearing aids/CI?

• Always

Votes: 33 63.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Rarely

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Never

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
I never wear anything, threw them out a decade and half ago.

Question to those who say that they take HAs/CIs out to get a break from "hearing"...would you want an internal implant with NO "off" switch? Just curious?

I would say NO WAY..I enjoy being completely deaf half of the time.

Wear them 50% of the time...depending on my mood. My job doesnt require me to lipread so I usually dont wear them to work.

Question to those who say that they take HAs/CIs out to get a break from "hearing"...would you want an internal implant with NO "off" switch? Just curious?

I wouldn't want that either.

I don't wear them all the time..I like having my "quiet" time..I feel that when I wear my ha's they help..but at the same time I "hear" a lottttt of noise and it just gives me a headache...and if I got a CI it would HAVE to have an off button or let me be able to take it off..another audi at the place I go asked if I wanted the lyric ha which is inserted and changed every 3 months..no way first it doesn't have fm capabilities etc and i dont want something jammed into my tiny ear canals thankss

I wear mine always,
except when I am sleeping and when I am having migraine.

Sometimes I like a 'quiet time', too but since I was raised as "hearie",
I just need both to see and hear to communicate.

Fuzzy

Sometimes I like a 'quiet time', too but since I was raised as "hearie",
I just need both to see and hear to communicate.

Totally, people often laugh when I say "hang on I can't hear you without my glasses on" but it's true. I like to have a mostly muted setting on my HAs so that I am receiving only the rhythm of the conversation. I don't really like listening to total silence with closed captions, etc. but will often turn down so I can't actually hear any content, just the ebb and flow. Specially comedy, I think it helps me to overlay the original comic timing and delivery.

Not a chance, I would hate that!

I never wear them starting late teens to now.

When I was growing up I had to wear them and forced to everyday. I can't focus properly when wearing them cos it just noise, quiet noise. I prefer wear no aids. When I left school I can finally stop wearing them (not straight away, still had to wear them at home only cos Mum won't like it if I did that! Had to go slowly or she argue with me if it sudden). By time I was 18/19 was off aids completely.

Reason she was so worried cos she put so much time and effort for me wearing them when growing up and make sure I can speak well and listen well (listen well part failed badly cos don't I understand anything). I think it was bit of insult to her if I suddenly stopped.

No way too... :shock: *head shake*

I thought about it and could be possible with a remote in your hand to somehow adjust your hearing inside of you for volume and sensitively... Would suck if there was no "off" switch.

I love the silence and helps me get through homework, sleep, headache a lot of times. One of the advantages a normal hearing person can't have! :lol:

--

"I told you so! I told you so! You should of d-"

"lalala la lalalalal- can't hear you!" *takes off HA/CI*

"goddamn it"

--

*Dog barking outside while watching TV at late midnight*

"ah well I'm going to bed anyways"

*presses world mute button (Cheesy, I know)*

"Heh"

--

"Okay everyone. When you are done with your test, please turn it in at the table here and then you may leave"

*Air conditioning noise going on still along with some pencil tapping noise caused by some students at the tables* *Tapping noise with the keyboard caused by the teacher at the desk*

"Hey put that phone away"

*Groan/grunt noise every several minutes*

complete silence helps a lot when taking tests or exams where everyone can't talk until they leave the classroom...
:wave:

Actually I find noise more helpful taking tests and I used to secretly attach my FM system to a cassette player (tells you it was a while back!!) and play some noise through my hearing aids. Nobody ever knew I was doing it. I used to record the soundtrack off TV shows. I couldn't hear them but the babble made it easier for me.

Posted "sometimes" on behalf of my daughter: she wears them from 6:30am - ~8pm on weekdays (off after story time in bed or just after she falls asleep) -- so nearly all waking hours, definitely not through the night or in the bath :). But on weekends we sometimes vary it a bit -- we might do early morning without, afternoon on.

I voted "rarely".
I took them out 3 months ago and have only worn them once since. Prior to that they were the first thing I put on in the morning and the last thing I took off, but I think it might have been habit. They aren't as helpful as I remember them being, they actually make it harder for me to read lips.

I don't know if it's because I need new ones or if my hearing has just deteriorated to the point where they aren't very helpful?

I voted "rarely".
I took them out 3 months ago and have only worn them once since. Prior to that they were the first thing I put on in the morning and the last thing I took off, but I think it might have been habit. They aren't as helpful as I remember them being, they actually make it harder for me to read lips.

I don't know if it's because I need new ones or if my hearing has just deteriorated to the point where they aren't very helpful?
How old are your hearing aids? And when was the last time you had your audiological evaluation?

My last eval was last Summer and they adjusted the aids then because I had a decrease in my hearing since I bought them. I've had numerous ear infections this Winter though, where before I've only had one a year if that, and it seems that my hearing deteriorates whenever I have a bad infection.

The hearing aids themselves are almost 4 years old but they're in the ear ones (although huge in the ear ones) and when I got them the audiologist recommended behind the ear because it would benefit me more but my insurance wouldn't cover them for some reason.

My last eval was last Summer and they adjusted the aids then because I had a decrease in my hearing since I bought them. I've had numerous ear infections this Winter though, where before I've only had one a year if that, and it seems that my hearing deteriorates whenever I have a bad infection.

The hearing aids themselves are almost 4 years old but they're in the ear ones (although huge in the ear ones) and when I got them the audiologist recommended behind the ear because it would benefit me more but my insurance wouldn't cover them for some reason.

the behind the ear is powerful and it's good for all type of losses so it should be strong enough for you.
I had worn BTEs all my life :)

.:ty: Sarfari, I'm saving up for a new pair. I wish there was a way to test drive them before spending money :hmm: That way if they weren't much more help I could opt not to get them

.:ty: Sarfari, I'm saving up for a new pair. I wish there was a way to test drive them before spending money :hmm: That way if they weren't much more help I could opt not to get them

easy, there's a 30 day or a 90 day trial
that way you won't experience techinal diffcultes

2, I'm on and under the Blue Shield insurance

another thing, I'm no money expert.

just like what Safarigirl said, ask for the a trial. Why wouldn't they? you should contact them and see if you can get one before dishing out your money.

There should be a state law that they have to give you a trial period, seems it varies between states. Sometimes you have to pay all the money and get all or most of it back if you don't go ahead, sometimes you pay half, a deposit, etc. it varies between different places. You'll probably have to pay all the money for any earmould you get done even if you don't keep them. Never heard insurance refusing to cover BTE aids and preferring ITE version, were the BTE supposed to be better technology? That's very strange.

Back