How much do you earn?

A good teacher knows that the income is not as important as the outcome.

I'll be happy to tell you what I make; I make a difference. :)

I absolutely LOVE this response!!!! :)

How much do you earn at work?

What is your pay?

What are your benefits?

Do you mind sharing this information with other people?

Is this an appropriate request?

Should people's salaries be public knowledge?

10,000,000 dollars a year plus generous benefits. Plus, excellent perks consist of use of a private corporate jet and a Rolls Royce convertible, free country club memberships, monthly bonuses, free travel benefits for spouse and children, and two vacation homes in Maui and Manhattan. Hahaha just kidding.

10,000,000 dollars a year plus generous benefits. Plus, excellent perks consist of use of a private corporate jet and a Rolls Royce convertible, free country club memberships, monthly bonuses, free travel benefits for spouse and children, and two vacation homes in Maui and Manhattan. Hahaha just kidding.

BIG DREAM WISH

The job I am applying for will pay more monthly than what I receive from my SSI. Unfortunately, it doesn't provide benefits because it is a part-time job. So I might have to apply to keep my Medicaid for a while after I graduate from my university and get off from SSI.

And as for average $60,000 yearly income for a 4-year graduate-- it entirely depends on your major. A bioengineering major versus a Liberal Arts major will provide a different starting salary.

(Is it funny-- the more $$ and time you spend in your BA degree, the more salary you will earn in a result?)

OK, it's time for me to confess.

I really don't want to know how much anyone earns.

The whole point of my little "experiment" was to find out people's attitudes about revealing personal incomes.

Why?

The topic of interpreter incomes was brought up in another thread. The question was asked, why don't interpreters tell how much they earn?

So, I wanted to find out if people in general, hearing, hard of hearing, and Deaf, feel uncomfortable telling others how much money they earn, or are interpreters the only people who don't want to mention their incomes.

Thank you for all the interesting comments. :)

...And as for average $60,000 yearly income for a 4-year graduate-- it entirely depends on your major.
That's true. I got my 4-year degree in 1982, and I've never earned even close to $60k per year.

Still, I don't regret getting my BS degree.

good experiment, wish you held off little bit longer anyhow as I was wondering how the attitudes changed as different opinions were posted, swaying into one driection or another

good experiment, wish you held off little bit longer anyhow as I was wondering how the attitudes changed as different opinions were posted, swaying into one driection or another
I hope people will continue to post their opinions about this topic, even if "the cat is out of the bag". :P

i prefer not to reveal my salary.. due to many people will find out how much and will complain to their managers since this is a largest company... worldwide...

as for my major i'm taking for.. starting pay is $20,000 a year.. but they can to up to amazinally over $1 million a year. depends on what company you work for ;)

The whole point of my little "experiment" was to find out people's attitudes about revealing personal incomes.

Why?

The topic of interpreter incomes was brought up in another thread. The question was asked, why don't interpreters tell how much they earn?

So, I wanted to find out if people in general, hearing, hard of hearing, and Deaf, feel uncomfortable telling others how much money they earn, or are interpreters the only people who don't want to mention their incomes.

I understand where you come from, Reba. At first I was like :confused: when I saw your thread few days ago because I know you are not type person to make personal question until I saw the reason why you created a thread here. I understood.

Worker and Employee´s incomes belongs privacy. Sometimes they share how much per hour, they earn in general way, not exactly monthly income and also not to this public.

But... but... but... with interpreters issues is different as worker and employee... because we (deafies) pay Interpreter out of our pocket sometimes where it´s not in Agency, Health Insurance, companies list... that´s why we has the right to know how much per hour Interpreter earn... we deal with them about the cost until we agree to order Interpreter to do for us... Most Interpreters made generous offer to deafies if they know deafies have to pay out of their pocket.

Everyone here in Germany know how much Interpreter´s earn per hour (including mileage, waiting time, etc.) because we are being informed to know about interpreter´s per hour by the President for the Deaf. All of Interpreter´s earn per hour is equal. Depend on how many hours they work per day... Depend how client prefer few Interpreters than other interpreters. That´s how we made few interpreters rich because we depend to trust them... Don´t get me wrong, I do not complaint about Interpreter´s earn per hour but only want you know that Interpreter´s earn is very good. I´m glad to have them around.

My parents raised me to keep personal financial matters personal. They always stressed that it was not appropriate to share this kind of information outside of the family. Why? Because money is and will always be one of the most sensitive affairs that triggers emotions and politics on some level.

Some friends of mine have pointed out that class factors in a person's "management" of the subject. Are working-class people more inclined to talk about money more openly than wealthy people? Or do both groups talk about money in different ways? I'm not one to make hasty generalizations, but it's fascinating to observe how people of different socioeconomic backgrounds approach (or do not approach) the topic.

...But... but... but... with interpreters issues is different as worker and employee... because we (deafies) pay Interpreter out of our pocket sometimes where it´s not in Agency, Health Insurance, companies list... that´s why we has the right to know how much per hour Interpreter earn... we deal with them about the cost until we agree to order Interpreter to do for us... Most Interpreters made generous offer to deafies if they know deafies have to pay out of their pocket.
The system is different in the US. Generally:

Public school terps usually get paid an annual salary, by contract with the school district.

Full-time government terps usually get paid annual salaries, with their pay determined by a state or federal scale.

"Freelance" or private practice terps set their own rates, and can negotiate with their clients.

Terps who work for private interpreting companies (like I do) get paid by the hour, and sometimes get reimbursed for travel. The amount the company charges the client is NOT the amount that the terp gets paid. For example, I usually get paid less than half of what the client pays the company per hour. The terps' hourly pay rate is determined by educational background, certifications, professional memberships, and years of experience. Also, full-time staff get more benefits and hours than part-time terps do.

I get paid in hugs and kisses. I had you figured out Reba since that was my thread. You little sneak. I totally got your point.

How much do you earn at work?
$307,200 a year

What is your pay?
get paid every week on Friday. yay

What are your benefits?
Only health insurance. I sure need more than this :(

Do you mind sharing this information with other people?
Yes, to make people wowie at me and follow my ass

Is this an appropriate request?
hmm...yes, at school they told?

Should people's salaries be public knowledge?
in fact, yes, on USAToday news, it reveal people's name and salary and what they do.

Some of my answer are bs. :D

Why?

Ahhhhh.. I see your point of view... before you told us.. I thought you were being so nosey. I thought it was none of your business to know how much we earn.. Now I understand!!!! it was a very good experiment,,,
You do make sense of why you did..:fingersx:

Social Services pay LOWWWWWWWWWWW.All of us know that (or I like to believe) but the most rewarding part is knowing that we contribute to society. Whenever people ask me what I do for a living, I simply say that I contribute back to the society and pray that I will get rewarded should I ever need that help one day.

I believe in PAY IT FORWARD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The movie by Kevin Spacey said it all for me. ;)

By the way, Reba, excellent social experiement! Society these days value these in terms of $$.

up to 90% deaf in El Paso, TX, they use SSI - no job, ever. sad? : (

Back