How many us 100% deaf?

Are you 100% deaf?

• Total voters
Total deaf here since 5/19/2006. Currently have no ear drums, no cochlea and have now lost 90% of the bones in my ear. I live on the flight path to the airport which the edge of the runway is 1 mile away, and still I do not hear the planes. I feel them only. I feel thunder. I drive with the music turned up so I can feel the bass on the door where I have a speaker I play only CD's that I remember hearing when I had my HA's and I can remember the songs. I "hear" my children with small child voices and they are 16 & 17.

Total deaf here since 5/19/2006. Currently have no ear drums, no cochlea and have now lost 90% of the bones in my ear. I live on the flight path to the airport which the edge of the runway is 1 mile away, and still I do not hear the planes. I feel them only. I feel thunder. I drive with the music turned up so I can feel the bass on the door where I have a speaker I play only CD's that I remember hearing when I had my HA's and I can remember the songs. I "hear" my children with small child voices and they are 16 & 17.

Let's call ourselves....100% deaf, Kristina...I thought I was "profound", or "totallly", but after reading a lot of responses...to find I'm the real "McCoy"....100% deaf...so we are "rare"????

Let's call ourselves....100% deaf, Kristina...I thought I was "profound", or "totallly", but after reading a lot of responses...to find I'm the real "McCoy"....100% deaf...so we are "rare"????

Oh yep, you are.

Even myself...I am "rare" in the Deaf community with my 120 dB level. Most if not all have dB levels of 90 or above. I have yet met anyone in my Deaf community with anything lower than 90 dB and yet, I act more "hearing" than they do. Ironic, isnt it? lol

I am completely deaf in my L ear and HOH out of my R ear.

I don't know what my current loss is but I can hear the TV if it's up on full volume. I don't listen to the radio in the truck anymore because it's pointless. I can feel thunder if it's close enough, and my speech recognition is like the 'wah-wah' from Charlie Brown.

I hope to have an audiogram done soon, Lord willing I have the money to get there. Once this is done, I will have a clearer picture of what my loss is and hopefully figure out what type of hearing loss I have as I wasn't told the full story from my parents.

Oh yep, you are.

Even myself...I am "rare" in the Deaf community with my 120 dB level. Most if not all have dB levels of 90 or above. I have yet met anyone in my Deaf community with anything lower than 90 dB and yet, I act more "hearing" than they do. Ironic, isnt it? lol

Even though I am not stone deaf and I still one of very very few that is very very deaf. I am 100 to 120dB. So far I only met 1 person is stone Deaf and no one come near as me with my level of deafness.

Oh yep, you are.

Ironic, it is....even today I get comments such as..."you don't look deaf"..."you don't act deaf"...."I can't believe you are deaf"....and of course...."I believe she can hear some...she can talk"....and proceed to yell in my ear....
My skin is a hell'uva lot thicker than it was in my young years....and I don't refrain from telling off people that are so damn *ignorant*.....Heck, it's one of those "perks" of being that litle old lady "who is deaf, but I believe she can hear some"...soo...I can say "get the hell outta' here" and they sort of slink off...scared to mumble a response...thinking that I can "hear some"!....

Count me in the 100% club - No sensation of sound at all. It's been a hell of an adjustment for sure!

I think it is really rare that anyone is 100% deaf......

Wow!! That touched my heart.

:hug:

I think it is really rare that anyone is 100% deaf......

Seems to me, someone a while back here on AD (not sure who, but I don't think he's here anymore) said it's like less than 1% of all deaf people are 100% deaf with zero residual hearing..

Wow! This very rare! I know I never meet anyone else (even on AD) with cochlear aplasia same me.

I am proud of being profoundly deaf. When I was little, I wore a HA and all I heard was sound that I couldn't tell what it was or couldn't understand what was being said. My worthless HA gave me headaches so I threw it away and stay deaf all my life.

If a deaf person is unable to recognize anything he/she hears with a HA or CI, then that person is 100% deaf, IMO.

I am severely deaf. I have BTE hearing aids in both ears. When I don't have them on, I can't hear much. For some reason, I "hear" better while I'm in the bathroom than anywhere else. I think, maybe, it's because it's a smaller room and sound travels better. Also I've made it a habit to read lips and I KNOW my boyfriend tries to make it easier on me. He's fully hearing.

Wirelessly posted (Backberry)

rachelreader3 said:
I am severely deaf. I have BTE hearing aids in both ears. When I don't have them on, I can't hear much. For some reason, I "hear" better while I'm in the bathroom than anywhere else. I think, maybe, it's because it's a smaller room and sound travels better. Also I've made it a habit to read lips and I KNOW my boyfriend tries to make it easier on me. He's fully hearing.

Bathrooms often have tile that the sounds bounce off of. When I was in highschool I could just hear myself singing with out HA on but only in the bathroom. So I sang really loudly and nobody ever said anything about it. I miss doing that, it was fun. But now I am completely deaf and have one CI... Singing is not the same with a CI :(

I have cochleas so I cannot be profoundly deaf. THe other day, I hear a balloon popping out so therefore, I cannot be 100 % deaf.

I lost all of my hearing because of meningitis. I was only seven months old. : ( I didn't get a processor or cochlea implant until I was two, three years old.

Back