How many signing languages?

marymae

Reaction score
I am curious as to how many languages there are in signing? I am referring to languages in the world. Is there some resources that any of you know of that I can continue my research? Thank you.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Thousands !

For example even within English speaking areas there are a dozen Sign Languages (like ASL, BSL, NzSL, Auslan, etc)

Sign Languages are just a complicated and diverse as spoken and written languages - in some situations even more diverse because small isolated areas with multiple deaf often will create their own village signed langauge.

a book you might find interesting is called "Talking Hands" and discusses various sign languages, including an isolated villages sign - it's a neat read.

Last edited:
I seconded Anij. There are pretty so many sign languages, just like spoken languages. But, I should note something. Not all sign languages are recognized as a language, simply because they're not a spoken language. I know one country is Italy who tried to change Italian Sign Language to Italian Language of Mimic and Gesture. =/

KarissaMann05 said:
I seconded Anij. There are pretty so many sign languages, just like spoken languages. But, I should note something. Not all sign languages are recognized as a language, simply because they're not a spoken language. I know one country is Italy who tried to change Italian Sign Language to Italian Language of Mimic and Gesture. =/

More clarification ;) ;)

I think what you mean is that all Sign Languages (proper, true languages, not codings like SEEI/II etc) aren't officially recognized as languages by some goverments etc (largely due to an igonrance by many officials and lawmakers etc regarding the understanding of what langauge is).

Fortunately, more and more Countries, provinces, states, territories etc have and continue to formally/officially recognize their locally used Signed Language(s) as complete fully functional languages. This creates a legal and social precident which in this "global village" age we live in should help educate ignornant (&/or oppressive) countries's leaders into at least on paper/legally changing their stance on Signed Language ...either because they actually do become educated and truly see Signed Language as "real language" or because other influencial countries and leaders have shamed them into updating their laws regardless of what they (individually) feel or believe.

I have no clue how many SL are out there, but for europe I can give you some numbers.
There are 23 spoken languages and 29 sign languages. Some countries have more then one sign language. (Just read it yesterday in a magazine:D )

Latascha said:
I have no clue how many SL are out there, but for europe I can give you some numbers.
There are 23 spoken languages and 29 sign languages. Some countries have more then one sign language. (Just read it yesterday in a magazine:D )

Right - for example Canada has two official Sign Languages: ASL & LSQ. ASL which is used mostly in "English Canada" and LSQ which is used mostly in "French Canada".

We also have a number of Sign Languages which are specific to the various Inuit peoples in Nunavut and other parts of northern Canada.

I want to answer your question with another question. How many spoken languages are there in the world? A countless amount, right? Same with sign language. Nobody really knows.

Right. No "language" here. There is a difference in the italian definitions, too - LIS is "Lingua dei segni italiana" = "italian sign language" while they're trying to put it under the definition of "linguaggio" which barely means "form of communication"... Not a real language at all. :roll:

Which also means there are no official resources if you wish to use it as a primary (or even secondary) language for your child education. It's all on the (often, hearing) parents shoulder, period.

Back