How many people here are NOT deaf?

Berry, I have really enjoyed your posts :D

I'm HOH, grew up hearing.

I could say half-deaf too, which I kind of like better!

I like that too! :giggle: I guess I'd be considered HOH (left ear). My sort of loss (otosclerosis) is progressive, but I'm told it could be many years before I lose all my hearing. I don't know any deaf/Deaf people IRL, and didn't even know I had it until this past Feb.

Thank you for being willing to answer my stupid questions. :)

1. Is there really a difference between a deaf person and a hearing person? If so, in what ways?
2. Who is the best singer? And why?
3. Is there such a thing as having NO accent with one's voice? If so, would you be able to understand that person?
4. What are the most annoying sounds to you?
5. Chocolate or vanilla?

Hello All! I am a hearing person. My grandmother and my Dad have hearing loss but refuse to accept it. My Nana, if you don't face her and talk, she asks you to repeat yourself endlessly.

as for our questions:

1. The main differences are the same as between two people of any type. Everyone is shaped by their experiences in life. How you grew up, what the people around you accepted and did all the time, what you were taught was normal. Those are the things that make us different from each other.

2. This is a very subjective question. It all depends on what you like. I like Norah Jones, but sometimes I really want to hear the Gorillas, or Kurt Cobain. I think my favorite person's voice is Tori Amos.

3. Having no accent would be that there is no regional inflection in one's pronunciation of the words. This is almost unheard of because the entire language is based on regional variations, both in pronunciation and meaning. I might be hard to understand it if you are not used to hearing things pronounced properly.

4. The sound of a whining child, a yappy dog, or an adult whining.

5. Chocolate!!!

Just so you guys know, I plan on sticking around for a long time! :wave:

I am hearing.....but a terp in training ;) i thought we all knew that :giggle:

I didn't know there were so many hearing here! Nice to meet everyone. I'm not hearing but I'm glad I learned how to talk!

I'm hearing. Mom's HOH, so are my sisters. Step monster is deaf and has the implants. And of course, mustn't forget Glenn, love of my life, deaf.
Nothing unusual.

If I am not wearing my HOH , I really can't hear that great! Some people call me deaf and some think I am HOH ! I once told my hearing audiologist that my hearing was NOT that bad! He looked at me and rolled his eyes and said my hearing is bad! He said I have a 65% hearing lost!

I'm hearing. Mom's HOH, so are my sisters. Step monster is deaf and has the implants. And of course, mustn't forget Glenn, love of my life, deaf.
Nothing unusual.

I had a cat that looked just like this kitten! It made me miss him!

Nothing unusual.

Step-monster???? LOL that's a new one for me.

Well, when I joined several months ago, I joined as a hearing person. Since then I've been diagnosed with Meniere's Disease. My last appointment with my ENT was during a flare-up and the hearing in my left ear was seriously impaired. Much of it's come back, but it fluctuates. So, I'm still a hearing person but seem to be heading towards being HOH.

I am hearing, married to hoh. I am learning ASL and want to become an interpreter if I can find a program. :wave:

I am hearing. I learned ASL before it was a language, fell in love with it, with the family who taught me, and with the Deaf World they belonged to.

I am here because I feel at home here.
I am hearing as well.

I feel the same as you. I mainly taught myself basic ASL through books and classes at the local community center. When I finally was able to get into college, ASL was the first class I took.

I am one step closer to becoming an ASL terp, prerequisite summer class now & a couple more in the fall semester. Then ITP in the spring of 2011!

Back