How many of you like to save coins in a large container and watch it grow?

ChicagoBlue2

Veteran Traveler
Premium Member
Reaction score
I do; it's a way to teach myself how to better budget for my needs, and also learn how to save money in the process.

How many of you like to do a similar thing? I'm just being curious.

In a way, I do the same. If I really want to save up for something, I put a certain amount in.
I remember doing it as a kid. I still have that huge teddy bear looking jar in my room somewhere... wowza ages ago.

In a way, I do the same. If I really want to save up for something, I put a certain amount in.
I remember doing it as a kid. I still have that huge teddy bear looking jar in my room somewhere... wowza ages ago.

I have multiple containers I'm actually planning on using this year, and my largest one has the potential to hold a LOT of money, but how much, I don't yet know.

When im working i do put part of my check somewhere else, just to save it and when the need comes i can use that money. I also have a jar in which i put coins so that onr i use it to spend it on whatever i want.

When im working i do put part of my check somewhere else, just to save it and when the need comes i can use that money. I also have a jar in which i put coins so that onr i use it to spend it on whatever i want.

That's the idea-- to save up for whatever I want or need.

My coin container is not full of coins but a variety of dollar bills. Whenever I get cash, spend it, and get change, I put all of it in my container and forget about it. It is about 1/4th full of coins but the rest are dollar bills. It is not see through so I don't know how much is in there.

My coin container is not full of coins but a variety of dollar bills. Whenever I get cash, spend it, and get change, I put all of it in my container and forget about it. It is about 1/4th full of coins but the rest are dollar bills. It is not see through so I don't know how much is in there.

I should probably get one that's NOT see-through. Would probably help lessen the temptation to spend the money.

I should probably get one that's NOT see-through. Would probably help lessen the temptation to spend the money.

Yea and it is in a large vase that is fire-proof and lessens the chance of a thief targeting it.

Hmm. That gives me an idea. Thanks!

No problem. My house was almost burned down a few years ago so because of that experience, I realized that the plastic see through container is not ideal as a "bank" so I got the vase that is fire retardant. Plus it looks pretty in my bedroom. :)

No problem. My house was almost burned down a few years ago so because of that experience, I realized that the plastic see through container is not ideal as a "bank" so I got the vase that is fire retardant. Plus it looks pretty in my bedroom. :)

Yikes!! Not a good thing. Glad you're okay. And I'm sure the vase does look pretty in your room.

Yikes!! Not a good thing. Glad you're okay. And I'm sure the vase does look pretty in your room.

Yea, I had candle burning on my dresser in my bedroom. I was watching TV from my bed and somehow I fell asleep without realizing it (I was very exhausted from my job that day) It burned a part of my dresser in the middle of the night..the smoke filled up the house so quickly and I couldn't believe how hard it was to breathe. It was an eye opener and to take replacing batteries in the smoke detectors seriously. The smoke detectors saved our lives. My husband put the fire out but the whole house was filled with black thick smoke. I felt so terrible because I put everyone at risk. I had a hard time getting over the guilt for a long time. It was an awful experience even though nobody got hurt.

Yea, I had candle burning on my dresser in my bedroom. I was watching TV from my bed and somehow I fell asleep without realizing it (I was very exhausted from my job that day) It burned a part of my dresser in the middle of the night..the smoke filled up the house so quickly and I couldn't believe how hard it was to breathe. It was an eye opener and to take replacing batteries in the smoke detectors seriously. The smoke detectors saved our lives. My husband put the fire out but the whole house was filled with black thick smoke. I felt so terrible because I put everyone at risk. I had a hard time getting over the guilt for a long time. It was an awful experience even though nobody got hurt.

I've been there before. It's not easy getting over something like that, but you have a loving and caring family who will always support you, so you are in good hands.

I've been there before. It's not easy getting over something like that, but you have a loving and caring family who will always support you, so you are in good hands.

Thanks, I got over the depression and extreme guilt so I am just more careful. Ironically, a few nights ago, my husband was cooking butternut squash and baked it at 400 degrees in the oven. I was busy with other things and we all went to bed. I woke up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and I kept smelling this aroma like a scented candle was burning so I looked around the living room and my room to make sure that no candles were left burning and I checked those areas like 5 times throughout the night because my paranoia set in. Saw nothing...went back to sleep. Woke up to go to work and went in the kitchen to get some water. I felt heat from the oven and saw that my husband left it on so I turned it off and opened it, thinking there was nothing in it but sure enough, the butternut squash was still in there and burned beyond black.

My husband was so tired and went to bed. He forgot that he was baking the food in the oven. I told him to pls pls use the timer next time he bakes something so he can hear it and be reminded of it.

Being so exhausted is not helping us. We both have very demanding jobs and our jobs take so much energy from us. Frankly, I am getting sick of it which is why I am looking for another job.

Thanks, I got over the depression and extreme guilt so I am just more careful. Ironically, a few nights ago, my husband was cooking butternut squash and baked it at 400 degrees in the oven. I was busy with other things and we all went to bed. I woke up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and I kept smelling this aroma like a scented candle was burning so I looked around the living room and my room to make sure that no candles were left burning and I checked those areas like 5 times throughout the night because my paranoia set in. Saw nothing...went back to sleep. Woke up to go to work and went in the kitchen to get some water. I felt heat from the oven and saw that my husband left it on so I turned it off and opened it, thinking there was nothing in it but sure enough, the butternut squash was still in there and burned beyond black.

My husband was so tired and went to bed. He forgot that he was baking the food in the oven. I told him to pls pls use the timer next time he bakes something so he can hear it and be reminded of it.

Being so exhausted is not helping us. We both have very demanding jobs and our jobs take so much energy from us. Frankly, I am getting sick of it which is why I am looking for another job.

May I make a teeny tiny suggestion? When you cook or bake food, how about putting a pop-up reminder on your phone, and put it on vibrate if you're relaxing? It helps me a LOT when I'm tired, and I have things I'm supposed to be doing.

SHel90 thank god you all are ALRIGHT!!! Good idea about the timer that makes so loud.

TCS puts his daily spare change in a big water jug.

May I make a teeny tiny suggestion? When you cook or bake food, how about putting a pop-up reminder on your phone, and put it on vibrate if you're relaxing? It helps me a LOT when I'm tired, and I have things I'm supposed to be doing.

That's a good idea. My husband is hearing and the oven timer is really loud. He never uses it when he cooks because he cant stand the sound of it. Now, I will require him to do that but can set up the timer on my phone as well.

Back