How Many Of You Know Sign Language?...

Angel

♥"Concrete Angel"♥
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've notice a quite few deaf or hoh people don't know any sign language and would like to know how many of you here know sign language and how often do you sign?...When you sign do you use your voice or not?...

when i chat with deaf friends, i dont use voice so i use my signs.... if i talk to hearing, i use my voice without signs...

^Angel^ said:
I've notice a quite few deaf or hoh people don't know any sign language and would like to know how many of you here know sign language and how often do you sign?...When you sign do you use your voice or not?...

I use ASL often when I was in Utah. But, now that I moved to Arizona, I use my voice more than I sign because I am around more family members than Deaf people.

I do know sign language and I used it sometimes not all the time, and Yes sometimes I use my voice when I sign and sometimes I don't use my voice. It depends, like if you and I were signing to eachother and you or I wouldn't want anyone to know what we are saying, I would whispering and just use sign language only. ;)

Interesting Liza,

I am curious, is ASL and NSL different? or it's about the same?...

^Angel^ said:
Interesting Liza,

I am curious, is ASL and NSL different? or it's about the same?...

There are some similiar rules, and there are some different rules.

ASL is not dependent on lip movement as NSL is. I'm learning to speak Norwegian with voice and with the correct lip movement if I want to be understood from just using NSL. LOL

There are also completely different signs... the abc's are about 80 percent same except for a few different letter handshapes depending on region.

How you form a sentence with NSL is the same as ASL is. Whew!

I know BSL (British Sign Language), DGS (Deutsch Gebärdesprache = German Sign Language), Korean Sign Language and ASL.

I sign deafies sometimes with voice or not.

BSL is my own first language because I was raised up in England but I live in Germany for many years to neglect BSL. I feel that DGS is my number 1. It took me few hours to warm up with BSL when I chat with British friends.

I know some of Korean Sign Language and ASL. I learn from US solider and his Korean wife for 3 years in 1986 to 1989 which it´s long time ago. I´m sure it would fresh my memory if I meet Deaf Americans.

I use body gesture to communicate with people who do not understand foriegners sign languages.

I met Spanish, Holland, Italian, Swedish, Greek deafies.

Every use different sign languages in Europe.

I do use sign languages most of the times but with family, not always.. it depends on how much i can talk to people... I'm profound deaf, but yea a lot of people thought I'm hoh cuz i could talk pretty well too. but no, i'm profound deaf. :)

I know sign language but not really ASL word order. My daughter uses her voice a lot so I haven't been forced to learn more even thou I should

I was surprised at the number of deaf people who do not sign (call it ignorance on my part....For the longest time I though all deaf people signed). One of my long-time customers is deaf and he doesn't sign.

i use ASL most of the time when im around pals and etc not use voice unless im all excited over something -- with family members its basically PSE altho theyre used to more SEE signs ACK! ive been teaching them more ASL cuz i understand it better than SEE :dizzy:

yea i use voice but often doesnt want to use voice go figure

With deaf friends, I use Auslan with no voice.
Hearing friends, I use both- auslan and speech
Family: mum and I use auslan, pse, speech..siblings: some SEE and speech...

So I would use speech and sign equally most of times....

I grew up with my hearing family, so I learned to speak. I don't speak well though, in my opinion. The only times I really speak is around these people who are close to me and with me everyday. Hearies, I mean!

Ever since I moved to Utah, I have been signing so much more than I would be in NJ. At my work, I tutor ASL, so it is required for me to sign. With my boyfriend, we sign all the time, even though he is hearing. I do speak with him sometimes, but he has enrolled in ASL classes at the deaf centre to learn ASL. He has improved big time since 9 months, but still learning. At my hospital work, I try to speak a bit but most of the time I just write or use body language if I need something. I don't mind switching around between speaking and signing.

I know ASL, LSF (French SL), some DGS (German), a bit of Canadian (Ottawan) ASL, some BSL and also some International signs.

i'm hearing and i learned a little SL in elementary (joined a group but it didn't get anywhere..i learned to fingerspell and thats bout it) my boyfriend is deaf and uses lipreading has his main source of communication so he reads my lips and i fingerspell if he has a hard time understanding my pronounciation. :)

When I use ASL with deaf, I don't use voice but I do "mouth" the words while signing. If I'm signing with hearing person, I try not to use voice at all unless I really have to. With non-signers, I use voice but if they don't understand what I say, I write notes. With my children, I either sign with no voice, sign with voice or just talk with no signing...this gives them chance to learn proper english grammar when I'm using voice and for them to be able to sign and read signs, I use no voice and just sign...just mix them up depending on how I'm feeling. When I voice, I use proper english grammar.

Hope I'm not confusing you, ADers :P

I use both too. I'm slowly but surely becoming fluent in ASL, and I hope to become totally fluent in it, before I'm thirty. I voice and Sign....and when I get excited I sign and speak.....signing helps me articulate my feelings when I get emoitional.

I sign ASL/SEE with deaf people, but if I know them very well, I use sign and voice at the same time. When I am around with my family, I sign SEE and voice at the same time because my whole family don't know sign much except my mom and cousins. Sometime it is my habit to use my voice loud when I sign with my friends in public *Oops*

aye! I do commucation with ASl..

I grew up with many different of language.. See, PSE and ASL...

Asl is more better than others.. *no offense*

I don't use my voice that much.. if i use voice if a hearing person....

Taylor said:
I was surprised at the number of deaf people who do not sign (call it ignorance on my part....For the longest time I though all deaf people signed). One of my long-time customers is deaf and he doesn't sign.

The sad fact is that only about one fourth of all deaf people know ASL. The other three quarters do not know ASL, and rely on speechreading to communicate. If you want to understand the historical basis of this, read Harlan Lane.

Back