How many hours a day do u wear ur hearing aids for?

For my family, it's "you've done fine up until this point and you never said there was a problem, so you don't need hearing aids". I mean i suppose it is my fault for not telling them how much i was struggling...but the other thing was i had adapted so well within my working environment that i didn't notice how much trouble i really was having (i made myself oblivious)...it wasn't until i got to school that i was like...woah, big problem here!
So when I told my parents that i had completely "bombed" my hearing test...and i needed aids...it was just more of a statement where "you've made it up until this point, why get them now" sorta thing.

Ok, I see

How many hours a day do u wear ur hearing aids for?

idk how many hours i should start off wearing my hearing aids (BTE) for.
im getting them in just under 3 weeks. so nervous and so scared.
i dont want anyone to know that i am HOH (even tho i am proud of it).
i dont want anyone to know i wear hearing aids (not even my parents, im doin this alone)(even tho im probably goin to be proud of it).
and when i get them i will be proud that i will be wearing hearing aids, cz i will be able to hear clearer and better and understand wot people are saying.
But they are goin to stick out like a sore thumb. i think the earmoulds are gonna look weird, and the aids will make my ears stick out.
people are goin laugh at me and make fun of me.
And im probably goin to take it out and leave it out. maybe put it back in again, but i will see.

Any advice on this.
and anything helpful and useful.

In another thread you said your mother wants you to get bte. Here you say your parents don't know about it. Are you real?

I wear hearing aids all day every day. I am incredibly glad for being able to hear something. If you really have a hearing problem, you will feel the same way.

I wear mine for the time when I am out of the house. If I am in my apartment alone I don't wear them. On weekends I will often not wear them. I have them in right now only because I want to listen to music and I only just put them on for the first time this weekend.

I wear them when I want to hear, or if I am in a speaking environment. If I am signing I often won't. If I am alone and out doing errands I often won't, unless I am using my MP3 player with my MusicLink ear hooks,

Same here....

Dont expect to get asked "Do you wear them to bed?" :lol:

and the answer is no...

I wear mine all day long. When I first get up out of bed, I don't always put my hearing aid on right away. About an hour or so after getting up, I'll get around to putting it on and it stays on the rest of the day.

And when I got my first set of hearing aids when I was close to 3, my mom says I never wanted to take them off from the minute they were put on and turned on.

Some new hearing aid users struggle getting used to hearing aids and only wear them for a few hours a day, slowly increasing the length of time they wear the hearing aids. Others get them and have no problem wearing them for the whole day from the first day. Some even decide that hearing aids are not for them at all (for different reasons, such as too much feedbacking, frequent ear infections, or other problems with the hearing aids/earmolds, etc.), and quit wearing them.

I haven't been wearing mine much at all. Lost one and both of them don't even work. I guess I'm either too lazy or have no interest in getting them repaired.

I basically wear mine from the moment I wake up until the moment I go to bed.

My family gets annoyed when I don't wear it (only few know first grade basic signs) so I'm practically obligated to wear it until I go to bed.

At school, I don't want to miss out on anything... but sometimes when too much is going on or have headache, I'll take it out and relax and get the clutter out of my head.

I was raised to be hearing and it's a hard culture to break away from considering it's the dominant culture. But I enjoy being deaf and told my family that even if I do lose all of my hearing, it wouldn't bother me... but it probably will considering how much I love music.

I wear them like everyday. I take them off in the night when i go to bed in my speical cleaning box that keeps the moister in the air away from my hearing aid and my CI. and I never wear them in water cuz we all know that it will ruin them. And if i wore them to the pool i would bring a plastic container box to put them in so they wouldnt get broken or ruined. And I would wear them again when my hair is completely dry. And thenn, When it's time to change the batteries, I always keep in track with my hearing aid and CI batteries, because I use the rechargeable batteries for my CI and disposable batteries when i'm traveling (CI) and with my haering aid, My hearing aid batteries last for about 3 days, and around day 2 in the evening of my hearing aid batteries i would change them into new ones. My cochlear implant disposable batteries last the same thing as my hearing aid. So theres nothing to worry about. Once your hearing aid gets here, You'll be so excited to hear alot of new things you'll never heard before. Trust me. I was there. :-D

The only time I don't really wear them is when I am sleeping. Sometimes I have them off while wearing them though, the noise around me just gets to stressful to deal with. I have a lot of stress that leaves and I feel very, very at peace when they are off.

Last edited:
i don't know if i responded to this thead or not, but when i had hearing aids, i wore them 16 hours a day from the moment i woke up until the moment i went to bed. i now have ci's and wear them for the same amount of time.

I wear my HAs all day every day, but sometimes when I'm reading I switch them off because I can concentrate better.

You shouldn't be embarrassed to wear them, its much better to be able to hear something than struggle without. I always tell people that I can't hear, it's much better for people to know than to think I'm stupid. Also, I don't care what people think because my HAs make my life so much easier. HAs and CIs are wonderful inventions and I'm really grateful that I was born into a generation when such technology is available to help us.

All of my friends at uni are really helpful to me and interested in how my Smartlink fm system works and ask me how I listen to an IPod. I haven't had a negative comment made about my HAs since I was a child, and that was only from some stupid kids in the school playground. The way I look at it is, if someone is stupid enough to say something mean about my HAs or my deafness, then they're very immature and not worth knowing.

As for your family, have they not noticed that you can not hear well? If so they probably won't be surprised when you tell them.

I wear mine all day long even when I am alone.. Sometimes I even sleep with them on because the tinnitus really bugs me, seems better if I have my aids on... You shouldn't worry about what others will think or say. If you haven't received them yet, then why did you even get them if you weren't going to wear them in the first place? I guess I am a little confused because I know people that would kill for some aids that can't afford them just to hear a little... and you don't want them??

I put them on 8:00am and take them off at 11:00pm. When I have a bad headache I take them off at home.

Since I only have sound awareness from my HAs, I only wear them in public. Almost never at home or at Deaf events.

I wore mine during waking hours until I got my CI. Now? rarely as it does little good. My CI is on from the time I get up, or at least leave the house for work, till I go to bed at night. Unless the hubby has a loud show on his TV, then I will often turn off the CI and just rely on CC. Sometimes, silence really is better. :)

personally, the amount of time I wear mine depends on my mood, what I'm doing, and what-not. I always wear them at work, normally throw them on at 3:30 am (right before I leave) and *most* of the time I'll keep them on until I go to bed. But there'll be times when I have a headache I'll turn them off.

And don't worry about what others will think. I used to feel the same way about my aids, I'd always either grow my hair out long enough to cover them or I'd wear a stocking hat. I was very insecure about them (partially because of the way I was teased in school LOL), but I realized that people who would raither be rude and make fun of you arn't worth paying attention too.

Previously i wore HA's few hours a day mostly when i am out of the house, Since I Had CI I wore it all my waking hours and except bath, I also use my HA in my other ear, I just wear it when i am at work/in public places.

I can't wear my HAs all day they give me headaches. Maybe a few hours at a time then give my ears a rest.

I wear mine pretty much all day. If I know i won't be talking or seeing anybody in my office for a while, i will take them out just for the peace and quiet.
When I was first told i had to get them, I said ok but NOT bte's. I didn't want anybody to see them as I was embarrassed. Then after a while I thought that the aids help me hear if anybody doesn't like it they don't have to look at them. I do get asked occassionaly if I am listening to music or if i have two phones on.

Adam

Back