How long?

dracotkk

Reaction score
This question is aimed towards people who were born d/hh.

How long was it after you were born, for you (your parents) to know that you have/had a hearing loss?

Me: 2 1/2 years. (Born 1987) I don't think testing was mandatory back then, from what I recall?

My doctors did not realize that I couldn't hear til I was about 1 year old. I had recurring ear infections my first year of life and my doctors thought that my frequent crying was due to my stomach not agreeing with the breastmilk or the formulas, so they did not catch the ear infections.

I was born hearing, but my friend was born deaf. Her parents didn't know she was deaf until 2 or 3 years old. I forget exactly when since she told me years ago.

Hearing tests were not done when she younger. Her parents always thought she could hear because she always seemed to respond to various sounds that they heard. She was actually responding to her parents' facial expressions and movements. For instance, if someone rang the doorbell or knocked on the door... they would look towards the door. When my friend saw them doing this, she would walk in that direction towards the door. When she did that, her parents thought she heard the door to. That's why they didn't suspect a thing until it became a bit more obvious. Heh!

I have a genetic condition, and so have always been hoh, ever since I was conceived. My parents didn't get a pat dx til I was 2 1/2, and I got my first hearing aids when I was three.

I was born HOH and my parents finally suspected this when I was about two. I got my first HA at three.

Back