How long?

juliae

Reaction score
How long does it take to learn enough ASL to communicate as an adult?

I'm wondering -

How long does it take to learn enough ASL to have a very basic conversation - enough vocabulary to express simple ideas?

How long does it take someone on average to become really fluent? I've heard anything from 5 years up to 10+.

Will someone who didn't grow up signing always have an "accent" in that it'll always be obvious?

i moved in here from other country i learned it really fast, not remmy exact how long, I used to sign in RSL, Russian Sign Language, easy for me but for hearing people prolly longer :dunno:

I'm a hearing person who has really tried to immerse myself in signing and deaf culture. I've only been signing about 2 years (2 years, 4 months to be exact) and I consistent have deaf people assume I am deaf, sometimes they even ask me if I grew up in mainstream or a school for deaf!
I think that a lot of it depends on your effort, as well as age and comfort with languages. I think it helped me a LOT that I took 4 years of Spanish before I started learning ASL, because I had flexibility with grammar and meaning and all that. (one word in English did not have to be just one sign, or vice-versa)
One thing to remember though, is that I do not fluently sign ASL. I sign a mix of ASL and English (usually known as PSE or Contact Sign)... but as this is the habit of MANY deaf signers, especially on the west coast, I can get away with it. I seem to have lost my hearing accent for the most part, but my grammar has a long way to go.

I have always benn interested in ASL. I truly started learing ASL about 11 months ago when I met my boyfriend who is Deaf. Before I met him I knew key word signing, stop, sit, go, now, yes, no ect. but now after 11 months of singing everyday all day work and home, I am finally getting fluent. I still have my hearing accent and will for awhile i am sure! I think it depends on how motivated you are to lear sign and how you are learning it from who, ect ect. When I was about 7 months in to learning I could carry on a convo with a Deaf person without looking to silly!! And I have had hearing friends ask me to teach them too, so I guess Im doing alrigh.. Good luck!!

I'm far from fluent, and I still have a very long ways to go, but after I at this point, I am able to hold a focussed conversation to an extent. Attending silent dinners and other such events has really helped me, but I still have a hard time understanding many signs, or even remembering all the ones I've learned. I've always tired to think of using ASL in terms of English grammar when I attempt to interpret, but I've found it so much easier to understand when you just forget grammar rules altogether.

K LMM may not to be able to answer this.. because you ask for hearies... LMM want ppl know! You may think you are expert at ASL after a year 2,5,19,15 but your never an expert at ASL,.Because every year new signs come out not just 1 sign but many! LMM not talking only about signs but also poetry.storeytell,Deaf pride and mosy important her community.....
LMM have been chat ASL over 40 plus years but she is still learning......
ASL is her first language English is her 2. Which English is very hard for her thats why i do her English for her.I'm good at signing but I'm hearie. When we are around group of Deaf I'm loss in the chat. Cause they chat pure ASL.
When Deaf chat true ASL it's very hard to understand inless you grow up w/ Deaf parnets.As even a hearie Terp, taken class years ago even class yearly I have hard time still.
For hearing ppl tell that they have learn in less then a year or 2 I find it every hard!...Inless you are a CODA, Then you be taking lesson for years!
You may be mad at LMM & me but LMM do know what she having me Terp!

LMM

It would depend on how ASL is taught. It would also depend on how it's used. Remember, ASL is worse than broken English. If a person spents his whole life using pure ASL, he or she will most likely make it worse and worse... as emotions and feelings are included within ASL. If ASL is used, but the proper use of SEE or the English language is used as a source of education while growing up... then it may be better. I have one friend who uses SEE at school and home, but uses ASL with friends. Now, she's a top-level teacher with a MS degree. I have another friend who spend his whole life with ASL. He was taught SEE in elementary school, but never did his homework since his teacher didn't enforce it heavily. Now, he's 35 years old... with an AAS degree that it took him 10 years to earn.

FreeWoman77 said:
i moved in here from other country i learned it really fast, not remmy exact how long, I used to sign in RSL, Russian Sign Language, easy for me but for hearing people prolly longer :dunno:

wow.. I'd love to learn your culture russian sign language.. Is simlair asl ?

GalaxyAngel said:
wow.. I'd love to learn your culture russian sign language.. Is simlair asl ?

much different, few alike, sure, i would be more than happy to show/teach ;)

Vam
LMM have ask me to ask you why you say this about ..."If a person spents his whole life using pure ASL, he or she will most likely make it worse and worse... "
LMM have sign ASL her whole life. And yes she use true ASL unless she chatting w/ person that not in the Deaf Community!
Are you down on Deaf that use pure ASL? If so LMM have few words for you...

LMM voice

LMM said:
Vam
LMM have ask me to ask you why you say this about ..."If a person spents his whole life using pure ASL, he or she will most likely make it worse and worse... "
LMM have sign ASL her whole life. And yes she use true ASL unless she chatting w/ person that not in the Deaf Community!
Are you down on Deaf that use pure ASL? If so LMM have few words for you...

LMM voice
Talking with someone who is not from a deaf community is different than writing good grammar. I also said "most likely". That doesn't mean 100% that an ASL user will not have good grammar.

You say that LMM asked you to ask me? So, you aren't LMM? What is LMM?

You say that LMM asked you to ask me? So, you aren't LMM? What is LMM?
Vam you ask now I will tell you. LMM have reply on this site before. She was mock for her language /write skills! her frist language is ASL. This is I'm LMM voice. to help people understand what she have to say. Lmm have taught me more about her culture then I could learn from books or reading about.
She is not far what you think she is a what! She is Deaf lady. That have live in the Deaf world her whole life. She isn't sorry to have grow up in a hearing world. She is very smart expect English Language. Is she sorry for not learning English? "Hell no" she says!
Hope now you know who she is.
LMM voice

I have complete respect for anyone who chooses to use ASL as their first and primary language. I understand that LMM is a native user, however, LMM's voice, I have a question for you, you are hearing right?
I don't know if you are trying to follow LMM's word order or what, but if you are trying to translate into English, you have some work to do. Again, you mentioned that you are an interpreter, is this how you interpret when you interpret between LMM and a hearing person face-to-face?

Signer
On here I type what LMM tells me. sometimes I add my english grammer in.. But frist I ask LMM if she don't mind!
When LMM goes to Dr or Hospital yes I do TERP for her but itn't the same as here.
LMM wants to know "Do you have a license for being a interpreter?"

LMM Voice

Okay, that's cool, I was just wondering if you terped in the same way (essentially in ASL word order). I almost always understand what you type for her, and the few times when she has typed herself. I don't have a problem with the way you are typing, it's a public forum, you have the right to write as you wish, I just wanted to make sure LMM's voice didn't terp like that in a face-to-face oral setting, because most hearing people would not understand that.

:) I am a CODA, both my parent's are deaf. I learned to sign when I was 4 years old. I use both ASL and english, I have been signing for over 50 years now, and I love the language. I use it 24/7, not only with my parent's, my husband, my foster son, and the deaf community.
I am more with the deaf community, than I am with the hearing community. I interpret the deaf masses twice a month voluntarily. I teach Deaf Religious Education to children preparing them for First Communion. I am very active in the deaf community.
I grew up signing all my life, and the ironic part is, I don't ever remember how I learned to speak. I have to say with all the years of being with the deaf community, I am losing my hearing accent. There are times when I will be talking to a hearing person, anywhere, and I just start to sign.
Some people may be able to learn it quickily depending on how much time they practice, and how much time they spend with the deaf community. Others find it a little hard to master, but, are willing to stick out till the end. It's a beautiful language to learn, to watch and use.
We have a beautiful couple at our church that are deaf, they come from Lithuania. Each week we have a different deaf church member sign the readings, and I will voice interpret for them. But, with this couple, they will be doing the readings in their native sign language, which I am truly looking forward to it.
ASL, english or any form of sign language that you use is not just a language it's language that comes from the heart!!!

:bump:

how long does it take me if I want to learn ASL ?
How can I learn it ? any suggestion ?

I'm hard of hearing and never signed before

I've been signing for 22 years, and am immersed in Deaf Culture. While a hearing signer not quite so experienced might mistake me for deaf, I have never had a deaf person mistake my signing for a native. While I am fluent, and have no problems communicating with Deaf adults or children, there are "hearing" nuances to my signing that distinguishes me from a native signer. Native signers still can teach me things. I would suggest 5 years will make one fluent enough to communicate comfortably, but that is only with daily use.

It would depend on how ASL is taught. It would also depend on how it's used. Remember, ASL is worse than broken English. If a person spents his whole life using pure ASL, he or she will most likely make it worse and worse... as emotions and feelings are included within ASL. If ASL is used, but the proper use of SEE or the English language is used as a source of education while growing up... then it may be better. I have one friend who uses SEE at school and home, but uses ASL with friends. Now, she's a top-level teacher with a MS degree. I have another friend who spend his whole life with ASL. He was taught SEE in elementary school, but never did his homework since his teacher didn't enforce it heavily. Now, he's 35 years old... with an AAS degree that it took him 10 years to earn.

Vampy, vampy, vampy! ASL is not worse than broken English. Broken English is a less than adequate model of the English language. ASL is a complete language in and of itself and is not to be compared to English. One is a whole language (ASL), the other is not (broken English).

Back