How long does it take to get approved for disability?

:wave: TOTALLY disagree on this whole comment geared towards the OP.

I do not know the OP or their background whatnot.
I've been on both side of the fence when it comes to hiring and working. I've worked under the table when I was 15 and legally when i was 18 and been working and going to school at the same time, hired right out of college and been in the same deadend job since college.... being deaf IS a MAJOR issue in many careers and work. AND newsflash: ADA does diddly squat in many issues I've been there.

I'm deaf, I've been discriminated against in the name of audism, I've been discriminated because I'm deaf basically and have to put up with all dumb BS hearing people get away with every day in and out. And people wonder why people snap and go postal. Its "get some thick skin" attitude towards other people, if I can you can... Guess what no one is cut from the same mold. No one experience the stupidest BS I go through because of my job and position and I dont judge others. I share my stories with my deaf friends, its all the same idea its just too messed up out there being deaf some days for others it s everyday for us lucky deaf people who get hired to start with!. I have been working a full-time job since college days, I've been paying out of my arse in taxes everywhere I go. I'm a contributing member of the society but does the society pay me back in return. Most days I'll say no, I want my refund. The dang potholes my tax dollars went to just worn down the tires on my car, the dang schools getting my tax dollars so teachers can have their pensions and free day care for other peoples offspring whilst I have no children. I should be the ONE getting the tax break not those people with critters they call their kids that bully other peoples kids and terrorize old people. (just a example people calm down its getting to the point)

and the funny thing is about SSDI/SSI- While all of the taxes I pay- I just coughed up 8.5k to uncle sam this year and only getting what? 1k?

AFTER all of the taxes I've paid working over 80 hours a week (yes its legal not to do overtime in my field) ... if I was on SSDI I would have gotten the same amount. (I called and asked)

ALL of the insanity I put up with work, the hassle of giving up my social life/relationships/time with family.....

No one walks a mile in another's shoes. SO don't one dare to tell other person they give a bad name to the "deaf" because they worked enough credits to earn SSDI and decide that enough is enough. Run/walk/wheel your own race and don't put down one because they're "giving bad name to the deaf population" with SSDI.

My feet, my hands, my back, my blood, bruises on my skin/heart, my unshed/shed tears went through many mileage of working, hard work more than what some people have done in their entire lifetime that is fully capable but choose not to. I've logged in hours in the last 5 years that most 8-5'ers have done in 20 years.... Same with many people out there there always will be the workers and the loafers in each society out there. I will go crazy if I'm not working and staying home doing nothing. There are many deaf that volunteer their time to a cause and get SSI or SSDI and they're not giving deaf people bad name there is no shame in earning ones due.

I have been seriously considering SSDI as I've one of those who just have had enough. I rather be volunteering and using my time and resources to a cause that matters the most to me instead of focusing on the stupidest BS that my work gives me the same amount the SSDI will give me in the end. Why should my mental health suffer with all of the stupidity hearing people do day in and day out. Yes I'm one of those who is not shocked about people going postal. We all know the government is all messed up in many areas. There area always those who use SSI for drug money that I absoutely frown against that. There always will be those type of people taking advantage of a system. It comes with every apple barrel there will be few bad apples.... same with SSI people.

Yes one can say I just had a bad week at work! Geez at hearing people sometimes.

Umm, that is not the purpose of SSDi. And yes, this kind of attitude gives the deaf a bad name.

Nice salary, but for 80 hours a week, it is too much as I agreed but since you start work since 15, your in excellent position to get maximum or near maximum SSDi benefits than anyone else can get. I found out that the earlier one starts to work, the better SS check in the end.

The system, which I agreed is screwed up already. I am out of work and see how fucked up the system are and I couldn't believe it, too many red tapes but eventually one will get in. I personally wish I could go back work, much easier on my sanity than without work. After 12 years of working and with surprise I can not work at this time (Due to severe disability that I am experiencing, nothing to do with Deafness) and it does drives me nuts doing basically almost nothing and that is the worst thing for anyone.

If I were you, I would try stay put and stay on work and throw my hard earned money in retirement investments then you would be far far far better than many of the remainders.

:wave: TOTALLY disagree on this whole comment geared towards the OP.

I do not know the OP or their background whatnot.
I've been on both side of the fence when it comes to hiring and working. I've worked under the table when I was 15 and legally when i was 18 and been working and going to school at the same time, hired right out of college and been in the same deadend job since college.... being deaf IS a MAJOR issue in many careers and work. AND newsflash: ADA does diddly squat in many issues I've been there.

I'm deaf, I've been discriminated against in the name of audism, I've been discriminated because I'm deaf basically and have to put up with all dumb BS hearing people get away with every day in and out. And people wonder why people snap and go postal. Its "get some thick skin" attitude towards other people, if I can you can... Guess what no one is cut from the same mold. No one experience the stupidest BS I go through because of my job and position and I dont judge others. I share my stories with my deaf friends, its all the same idea its just too messed up out there being deaf some days for others it s everyday for us lucky deaf people who get hired to start with!. I have been working a full-time job since college days, I've been paying out of my arse in taxes everywhere I go. I'm a contributing member of the society but does the society pay me back in return. Most days I'll say no, I want my refund. The dang potholes my tax dollars went to just worn down the tires on my car, the dang schools getting my tax dollars so teachers can have their pensions and free day care for other peoples offspring whilst I have no children. I should be the ONE getting the tax break not those people with critters they call their kids that bully other peoples kids and terrorize old people. (just a example people calm down its getting to the point)

and the funny thing is about SSDI/SSI- While all of the taxes I pay- I just coughed up 8.5k to uncle sam this year and only getting what? 1k?

AFTER all of the taxes I've paid working over 80 hours a week (yes its legal not to do overtime in my field) ... if I was on SSDI I would have gotten the same amount. (I called and asked)

ALL of the insanity I put up with work, the hassle of giving up my social life/relationships/time with family.....

No one walks a mile in another's shoes. SO don't one dare to tell other person they give a bad name to the "deaf" because they worked enough credits to earn SSDI and decide that enough is enough. Run/walk/wheel your own race and don't put down one because they're "giving bad name to the deaf population" with SSDI.

My feet, my hands, my back, my blood, bruises on my skin/heart, my unshed/shed tears went through many mileage of working, hard work more than what some people have done in their entire lifetime that is fully capable but choose not to. I've logged in hours in the last 5 years that most 8-5'ers have done in 20 years.... Same with many people out there there always will be the workers and the loafers in each society out there. I will go crazy if I'm not working and staying home doing nothing. There are many deaf that volunteer their time to a cause and get SSI or SSDI and they're not giving deaf people bad name there is no shame in earning ones due.

I have been seriously considering SSDI as I've one of those who just have had enough. I rather be volunteering and using my time and resources to a cause that matters the most to me instead of focusing on the stupidest BS that my work gives me the same amount the SSDI will give me in the end. Why should my mental health suffer with all of the stupidity hearing people do day in and day out. Yes I'm one of those who is not shocked about people going postal. We all know the government is all messed up in many areas. There area always those who use SSI for drug money that I absoutely frown against that. There always will be those type of people taking advantage of a system. It comes with every apple barrel there will be few bad apples.... same with SSI people.

Yes one can say I just had a bad week at work! Geez at hearing people sometimes.

From my experience over the years there are lots of deaf who use the ssd system. Lots of them will be living with their common law and have kids and at least one of the couple will be on ssd.
I had often wondered how the deaf managed it. They would have nice cars , travel and party. Me, I was stuck working long hours to pay my way.
My hearing loss dropped a lot after a hospital stay some years ago. I didn't think of ssd. Several people asked if I had considered it and I vehemently said, "NO," each time. Then, after months of nothing (where I had rebounded before) I contacted SSD and said I'm not disabled, I just can't hear. But my reality as a hearing person was I was disabled. If I was brought deaf, I would not be disabled. It's very different.

The earnings, compared to my prior salary, is minimal but better than unemployment. My car is almost nine years old and very beat-up looking. I cannot afford a car on what I bring in.

SSD allows me to live a minimal existence. U.I. didn't provide even a safety net. Since I worked a lifetime, I have other money somewhat accessible and per SSD, that's fine. I'm barely managing my situation. If there were jobs I could do (other than data entry volunteer work and working as a volunteer with a therapy dog), I would be out there. I knew the job boards well and had connections but those people were being laid off. I applied for SSD with their knowledge I was looking for work and would withdraw my appl. if I found it. That did not happen.

While you are waiting... apply for some "out-of-the-box" jobs. You might be surprised at what happens. You got nothing to lose at this point, right?!?!

Now... I'm not saying it isn't harder for a Deaf person to find a job. IT IS... but damn... sometimes a little more effort and variety would likely take them a long way. At the end of the day, bringing home that $100 bucks is just so independently rewarding.

I don't know if I was treated poorly, legally, I just felt alienated by the workplace and didn't agree with manager about work performance and the fact she wouldn't work with me about my work schedule, wanting weekends off. I don't have any written documents the way I was treated

Its too late to do that now. I know very little sign language.

That's a long time!

The bolded - that has NOTHING to do with your deafness/disability. Do you think you deserver SSDI because of that? :roll: And it makes me wonder if your poor work performance is based more on your attitude than on your deafness.

I worked for many years...having Monday & Tuesday's off...worked all the Holidays too...(Newspaper)...and worked Nights to boot...so my social life was practically nil...but...my rent and bills were paid. No way would I quit my job because of this....because other people had to do the same thing.

I worked for many years...having Monday & Tuesday's off...worked all the Holidays too...(Newspaper)...and worked Nights to boot...so my social life was practically nil...but...my rent and bills were paid. No way would I quit my job because of this....because other people had to do the same thing.

I don't remember the OP saying and have not taken the time to check back through the thread.

But . . . could the problem have been always having to work weekends when other employees got some of them off?

I don't know if I was treated poorly, legally, I just felt alienated by the workplace and didn't agree with manager about work performance and the fact she wouldn't work with me about my work schedule, wanting weekends off. I don't have any written documents the way I was treated

Its too late to do that now. I know very little sign language.

That's a long time!
Few things in response to you and to others in this thread.

1. Why is it that (I'll lump myself into the same boat as you) "We" give deaf people a bad name because we are on SSD? Why are people even saying that - where do you get that information and what's the bad name deaf people are representing? I've seen that comment in other places. I, myself, tell very few people I am on SSD and I certainly don't hear that from various people w/whom I come in contact (that they're on SSD).

2. AngelEyes1, far be it from me to judge someone I don't know. I can only "see" you by what you write here. Life in the workplace deaf, HoH, and hearing was tough 30+ years ago and has become more competitive and tougher now. I worked in a backbiting and backstabbing world of info. tech. I know the environment was too often the same elsewhere. It's getting worse and my nieces are all dealing with it. They can hear but the environments are still pretty nasty.

20 years ago, I was being interviewed and didn't like the fact that I'd be on call 24/7. That job interview went south but I knew there were other positions to be gotten. In the last 20 years, I worked jobs where I worked nights and weekends because I had to in order to stay employed.

You sound like a smart cookie. I mean that nicely. As you apply for SSD, think of what your future will look like 25-35 years from now. SS, SSI, SSD and Medicare/Medicaid are all "paying less" because of those in charge of the programs. Doctors are dropping off accepting Medicare because the payments are so low. Ironically, while I was uninsured for over a year and am now on Medicare, the benefits are so bad that I might as well be uninsured and it's getting worse.

I'm on SSD and my own life is pretty tough. It was easier to be in that backbiting, backstabbing environment (for me) and earning a supported wage. As I encroach 60, SSD is not the way I would've wanted my life to turn out. SSD alone simply does not pay enough to support me.

Whatever you do, do it with your eyes wide open and think of your future. Be careful.

Best of luck to you.

Few things in response to you and to others in this thread.

1. Why is it that (I'll lump myself into the same boat as you) "We" give deaf people a bad name because we are on SSD? Why are people even saying that - where do you get that information and what's the bad name deaf people are representing? I've seen that comment in other places. I, myself, tell very few people I am on SSD and I certainly don't hear that from various people w/whom I come in contact (that they're on SSD).

Because the public has 1 of 2 views of the deaf.

1) Deaf people are lazy, mooching off of the government and taxpayers out of self pity while scamming the system by selling drugs or working for pay under the table.

2) Being deaf is so sad. We have to take care of those people because they can't take care of themselves

Both of those views are a bunch of crap. We have many hard working, industrious, self supporting (even thriving) people here on AD alone. But, when able bodied people take advantage of the system and taxpayers, they feed these negative stereotypes. PLUS they take funds from people who truly need them.

Wanting weekends off, wanting more money or having to work long hours are not a disabilities. These are facts of life that everyone faces. Hostile work environments are not reserved for the deaf either. Tons of hearing people have unpleasant work environments as well.

I am not sure of your age, if your young, please do me a huge favor... Don't make stupid mistake I made that I have been doing for over first 20 years. I regretted for deciding it is easier to stay on SSI. After I finally quit being stubborn as mule I woke up having good jobs in the last 12 years and now I can't work due to other serious injury that I have and because of first 20 years of my adult years I was on SSI, now after 12 years of working I was shocked to find out that I don't get much SSDi, plus I don't own much. I realized that if I had started back in 1980's and work my ass off and buy properties earlier then I wouldn't have this kind of problem Im having right now cause house would have been paid off or I would have had bigger house. I have met people who started work at early age for many years fare MUCH better than those who wait for easy opportunity to come in, they will end up suffering with limited help during golden age.

But if your at my age, please disregard my comment, as this is for the rest of young adults who thinks should start with SSI/SSDI and is in good working health; (SMH) please don't think about this idea.
I'm HoH in the process of getting SSDI. I got denied food stamps because I told them I wasn't looking for employment. I don't know how that works when still living with paents.

I am not sure of your age, if your young, please do me a huge favor... Don't make stupid mistake I made that I have been doing for over first 20 years. I regretted for deciding it is easier to stay on SSI. After I finally quit being stubborn as mule I woke up having good jobs in the last 12 years and now I can't work due to other serious injury that I have and because of first 20 years of my adult years I was on SSI, now after 12 years of working I was shocked to find out that I don't get much SSDi, plus I don't own much. I realized that if I had started back in 1980's and work my ass off and buy properties earlier then I wouldn't have this kind of problem Im having right now cause house would have been paid off or I would have had bigger house. I have met people who started work at early age for many years fare MUCH better than those who wait for easy opportunity to come in, they will end up suffering with limited help during golden age.

But if your at my age, please disregard my comment, as this is for the rest of young adults who thinks should start with SSI/SSDI and is in good working health; (SMH) please don't think about this idea.

You gotta pay into it if you want to reap the benefits from it.

Good advice and way to man up!

Yes, over 10yrs. how do I find a good disability lawyer in my area?

Disability Lawyers: Attorneys for SSI and Disability Claims | DisabilityLawyers.com and check around in your local.

I had lawyer as backup if there are problem with SS. It took 3 months for me to got approved for SSDI because I have more disabilities than just deafness only, that's met the strict definition and got approved without went through the court. I found those process is extremely red tape and you have to submit a lot of medical statement, also they will contact your former employer for questions.

If you had SSI before and you can to get reinstated, so continue until you get approved for SSDI or find a job that meet your needs.

I'm sorry that you don't like previous jobs, but I know many people don't like job, especially low paying, minimum wage jobs. :(

I'm sorry that you don't like previous jobs, but I know many people don't like job, especially low paying, minimum wage jobs. :(

just to be clear. You are not saying that justifies taking disability, right?

just to be clear. You are not saying that justifies taking disability, right?

My last paragraph isn't related to disability, so I'm speaking for all normal people.

Because the public has 1 of 2 views of the deaf.

1) Deaf people are lazy, mooching off of the government and taxpayers out of self pity while scamming the system by selling drugs or working for pay under the table.

2) Being deaf is so sad. We have to take care of those people because they can't take care of themselves

Both of those views are a bunch of crap. We have many hard working, industrious, self supporting (even thriving) people here on AD alone. But, when able bodied people take advantage of the system and taxpayers, they feed these negative stereotypes. PLUS they take funds from people who truly need them.

Wanting weekends off, wanting more money or having to work long hours are not a disabilities. These are facts of life that everyone faces. Hostile work environments are not reserved for the deaf either. Tons of hearing people have unpleasant work environments as well.
I think this is still on topic. Where do you "see" the public has the view we're lazy and mooching off the system? Even when I heard as was part of the corporate world, I was not that part of the public to whom you're referring. None of my hearing friends see deaf as leeches. When I landed on SSD, the few friends with whom I interacted said, "Good for you." Frankly, I was embarrassed but followed the rules set by SSA and was applicable. "They" were my friends and knew what I had done in my life.

TX: Sometimes being deaf is sad depending on where you're coming from. As a hearing person and many moons ago, I watched a deaf friend venture out (we worked at a major corporation) and it was scary to me out of my own ignorance - not stupidity. I quickly learned she was fine. I've worked with a deaf people over my career that ended due to my own deafness catching up with me.

I'm the treasurer for our owners association (Excel does not speak back to me, so it's something I can do and contribute) and one of the young men dropped off the bill for maintenance work for the month. I'm not sure how I learned this from him or what made him say it but he is a veteran (young fellow) whose hearing was "shot up" by guns. He is now on SSD and working part-time. I didn't see him as a lazy good for nothin' guy. He seems sweet and very capable of speaking and hearing. But, so what that he's on SSD.

You're not in my shoe (or moccasins), so you can't "speak" or write for me. I vacillate between being okay with being deaf and being petrified. Going from very HoH to deaf FROM living my life hearing illicits very different feelings about the deaf.

AngelEyes1: I'm being redundant :) and it's what I do. You do what you need to. I agree there's a problem when you set, what is perceived as stringent rules, as a way out of work. While I was able to turn down that 24/7 on call job, I knew I'd find another job quickly and did. But that was in a different lifetime, it seems. I'll be the first or second to say that I'm not walking in your moccasins. What some of us in this thread are attempting to do for you is ask you to walk into SSD knowing what you're facing and ask yourself if what you're running from worth it...

Cheers,
-- Sheri

My last paragraph isn't related to disability, so I'm speaking for all normal people.
It seems rare that TX and I agree but using the word "normal" is odd to me. Do you mean hearing vs not hearing? In that sense, there are more people who are hearing than not so I suppose you could say hearing is the norm. But your statement does have a negative connotation to it.

It seems rare that TX and I agree but using the word "normal" is odd to me. Do you mean hearing vs not hearing? In that sense, there are more people who are hearing than not so I suppose you could say hearing is the norm. But your statement does have a negative connotation to it.

I'm speaking for general population, including normal people (non-disabilities) and there are many of my classmates hate minimum wage jobs, also my best hearing friend works at restaurant told me that many people hate those jobs, it is very common.

In dream, everyone want job with high paying and great benefits.

He means average working people. He isn't referring to deafness.

Back