How long do you get used to wearing new BTE HA molds?

Applesseed

Reaction score
I just got a new pair of BTE hearing aid molds since my first pair (old ones) is about 2 yrs old and has shrunk.

My left mold is perfectly fit - got no complaints, but my right mold is extremely discomforting to a point that every now and then I have to remove my BTE to release the pain. It's been one week since I got the new ones.

I'm wondering... how long does it take for those that wears HA to get used to the new molds? Does it take a few days, a week, two weeks, a month?

I've been wearing HA for 2 years and the first molds were a bit discomforting at first but I got used to them after 4-5 days of wearing them.

I'm no expert but if it is uncomfortable I would take it back. You have enough to deal with without the molds being wrong. :)

Make an appointment with your audiologist.
Several hours before your appointment time, put your HA with molds in your ears.
At your appointment, your audiologist can remove the molds and see the pressure points (very important step) and then file your molds in such a way as to remove these pressure points.
It might take more than one try, but don't live with "bad" molds.

Make an appointment with your audiologist.
Several hours before your appointment time, put your HA with molds in your ears.
At your appointment, your audiologist can remove the molds and see the pressure points (very important step) and then file your molds in such a way as to remove these pressure points.
It might take more than one try, but don't live with "bad" molds.

I had to have my ear mold filed down as it was hurting my ear. I agree it should not hurt to wear a ear mold unless there some other issues going on with your ear. I have TMJ and this madeif painful to wear an ear mold in my right ear everylong.

I've been wearing earmolds for 30+ years, and every time I get a new set, they take about 1 week to get used to. Always got sore spots.

What helps me is to put Neosporin with pain reliever around the mold, it makes the transition less painful.

If you find your ear itching all the time, you might be allergic to the materials. Mine itched all the time and I was getting infections all the time. I put liquid antihistamine on the mold to keep the itching to minimum.

I've been wearing earmolds for 30+ years, and every time I get a new set, they take about 1 week to get used to. Always got sore spots.

What helps me is to put Neosporin with pain reliever around the mold, it makes the transition less painful.

If you find your ear itching all the time, you might be allergic to the materials. Mine itched all the time and I was getting infections all the time. I put liquid antihistamine on the mold to keep the itching to minimum.

I thought there were hyoallergenic ear molds for people that are allergic to their ears mold.

I guess they usually took me a few days to get used to them. If they were not comfortable, I always had to go back to get them adjusted. Problem was that my audiologist always recommended trying things before making any adjustments!

I don't wear conventional molds now though. Imo conventional molds are unhygienic given that they prevent air circulation and increase the temperature inside your ear. This combined with moisture will cause bacteria to multiply and that's one reason why many deaf people are more prone to ear infections.

I now wear an open BTE and these have a different kind of mold and surprisingly, it didn't take me long to get used to it even though they're totally different.

They are available in universal sizes, allowing them to fit almost all ears. They allow the air to circulate easily inside your ear and thus reducing the risk of infection. Another benefit is that they don't act as an ear plug. This will allow you to hear natural sounds in the frequencies which you can hear well. They're less noticeable and imo they look much better too. Last but not least, you don't need to guard them with your life because they're easily replaceable without having to wait and make multiple audiology appointments.

NHS Siemens Reflex L (Quite a basic aid as you can see, but it shows the tube & "mold" differences)
27923_GHB301.jpg

When I got mine, I thought it would fall out of my ear easily, but surprisingly it's quite a snug fit. They're definitely not tight like a conventional mold though, but they're certainly sufficient for most situations. (I don't think I'd try wearing it on a roller-coaster ride!)

The main downside is that they're not suitable for anyone with more than a moderate hearing loss. Maybe that will change soon though?

ExR

I've worn HS for over 50 years and it seems that I always have to go back a time or two until they get them to fit just right. As one mentioned, I would advise suffering for about or at least 12 hours prior to appointment so that there is some redness or irritation that the Audi can find and know where to remove material. Good luck. O' on the time If it is not comfortable right off the bat I go back. Maybe I'm picky ?

For me it takes a few days. I hate breaking in a new pair of molds. I got to get a new pair in the next few weeks. :)

Back