How Jewish tradition marginalized the deaf

I could be wrong and may need to relearn my history, but didn't Jewish people come to America to escape from WW2 concretration camp? If so, that's probably why the difference in attitude.

I could be wrong and may need to relearn my history, but didn't Jewish people come to America to escape from WW2 concretration camp? If so, that's probably why the difference in attitude.

A lot perished because America would not admit them. America's antisemitism is not that far in the past.

And if you are honest, you know that in modern times when you were young, you certainly were not part of a minyan.

In fact, no one under the age of 13 and prior to Bar/Bat Mitzvah is counted in a minyan. However, in 1973 the Conservative movement stated women could be counted in the minyan, by which time I was already Bat Mitzvah. So yes, I was included when I was "young".

As for "your friend's Jewish", that's still not quite the same as yourself being Jewish, is it? That from what I've gathered, you're not?

Anyway, getting back to your quote, actually I find it to be the opposite. That generally speaking I find Jewish people to have a good attitude towards the disabled and minorities. After all, they were often perceived to be the "minority" in many countries or areas throughout history. And besides don't they tend to also vote democrat, the party that tends to be more "minority" or "disabled-friendly", in the USA?

I am Jewish, and I have found the same.

A lot perished because America would not admit them. America's antisemitism is not that far in the past.
You're actually making it look like you're blaming America for the atrocies that occurred in other countries at the time... :roll:

I don't think Bott is, HH. The U.S. itself is not exempt from various anti-Semitic and other hate-based crimes.

Back