How it feels like to have CI?

Adelah96

Reaction score
Hello. I'm just wondering how it feels to have CI. I'm deaf in left ear and struggle daily with my right ear. I'm wearing HA since I was 7 years old and in fact, I never seen people with CI in Malaysia. I studied in same school like other people who are hearing. So its just me who are different. So I rarely meet people with same situation like me and all I see just people with HA. I would like to know what is pro and cons of having CI? It would be nice if anyone wanna share their experience with me.

I just had the CI surgery 2 weeks ago and won't be activated until next Friday (the 14th). Ask me after then and I'll have a good answer.

Right now everything is so frustrating because I elected to have my better ear implanted since it had more constant access to sound. So right now, the ear that could actually hear is dead and I'm limping along with my left ear.
It helps to know that this is just a phase and in a week I'll likely hear differently but possibly much better.

I just had the CI surgery 2 weeks ago and won't be activated until next Friday (the 14th). Ask me after then and I'll have a good answer.

Right now everything is so frustrating because I elected to have my better ear implanted since it had more constant access to sound. So right now, the ear that could actually hear is dead and I'm limping along with my left ear.
It helps to know that this is just a phase and in a week I'll likely hear differently but possibly much better.

Oh yeah. I'm looking forward to hear from you soon. I just curious and really wanted to know. Well, sometimes I feel like my life would be better if i have my ear implanted but unfortunately I just can't afford it. And I also have to think carefully about it.

I've had my CI for almost 2 years now. I had my "dead" (profoundly DEAF) ear implanted, and still use a hearing aid in the right ear. Been much happier since getting the left ear, now I have sounds going into BOTH ears (before the implant, I could only hear with the hearing aid in right ear; hearing aids never worked for the left). My hearing is a lot more balanced now.

I've had my CI for almost 2 years now. I had my "dead" (profoundly DEAF) ear implanted, and still use a hearing aid in the right ear. Been much happier since getting the left ear, now I have sounds going into BOTH ears (before the implant, I could only hear with the hearing aid in right ear; hearing aids never worked for the left). My hearing is a lot more balanced now.

Oh that's great! How I wish I can hear with both ears. I would like to have implant on my left ear also because its profoundly deaf. and couldn't be helped by hearing aids, i just hearing hearing aids on right ear. But I think couldn't afford the cost to do the implant. How much the cost for implant? It's must be expensive.

Oh that's great! How I wish I can hear with both ears. I would like to have implant on my left ear also because its profoundly deaf. and couldn't be helped by hearing aids, i just hearing hearing aids on right ear. But I think couldn't afford the cost to do the implant. How much the cost for implant? It's must be expensive.

If you only have a mild loss in your better ear, I doubt that you would even be a candidate for CI. Most of the time, candidates have at least a severe loss in the better ear.

You said you have a mild loss in your HOH ear....Your hearing is too good.

If you only have a mild loss in your better ear, I doubt that you would even be a candidate for CI. Most of the time, candidates have at least a severe loss in the better ear.

I'm just wondered. Can't I get CI on my left ear which is profound? Or it can't be helped anymore? So many people say they get implanted for one ear and wearing HA on the other ear.

could depend on your health insurance coverage or however medical procedures are covered in your country. CI's can be very expensive, but different countries have their own criteria/guidelines and coverage. Generally both ears have to be severely-profoundly deaf in order to even get one implant. When I first tried with my state's Medicaid, they said no because my speech comprehension was "too good" for their criteria at the time, and they didn't care that my left ear was a dead ear. doy. but government insurance (medicaid, medicare for the USA) have stricter guidelines to go by.

you will have to check with your country's health coverage, or however that works. I don't know what the system is like over in Malaysia.

could depend on your health insurance coverage or however medical procedures are covered in your country. CI's can be very expensive, but different countries have their own criteria/guidelines and coverage. Generally both ears have to be severely-profoundly deaf in order to even get one implant. When I first tried with my state's Medicaid, they said no because my speech comprehension was "too good" for their criteria at the time, and they didn't care that my left ear was a dead ear. doy. but government insurance (medicaid, medicare for the USA) have stricter guidelines to go by.

you will have to check with your country's health coverage, or however that works. I don't know what the system is like over in Malaysia.

Oh yeah I would check that later. But this is suck at Malaysia. If we are deaf, we have to buy our HA without any helps from government or anything. And I think maybe same thing happened when we want get a CI also.

If one can't "afford" a Cochlear Implant and where one lives doesn't have "Medical plans" it would seem to be an futile exercise in determining if one can benefit from a Cochlear Implant.

aside: I live Canada where each province has different medical plans re: Cochlear Implants. The province I live -Ontario- fully covers Implants if APPROVED by the designated locations. I was approved way back in 2007. I am bilateral DEAF and in "good health"-easily surviving the surgery. age: 70 back then. My hearing loss is S N and was genetic.

aside: the total cost of everything involved with my Cochlear Implant was $55,000. Canadian.

further aside: the actual experience since 1984-adults" 3000 examined of which 2000 were rejected for a number of reasons of which 1000 were implanted-I was one. 18 didn't benefit from the Implant. Info patients meeting last year-Sunnybrook/Toronto. There are 3 centres for Implants for the whole province.

Some thoughts to consider.

As one can imagine-not so "automatic"

Also: Cochlear Implants are considered only if a Hearing aid is no value-hearing wise. The Hearing test back in 2007 showed I didn't hear anything at 105 db which is deafness. I am still bilateral DEAF- today.
It was very clear to me back -then-Cochlear Implants are NOT a choice in comparison with a Hearing aid

Last edited:
Oh yeah I would check that later. But this is suck at Malaysia. If we are deaf, we have to buy our HA without any helps from government or anything. And I think maybe same thing happened when we want get a CI also.

I'm pretty sure before any insurance, the CI surgery and equipment can cost tens of thousands of dollars.. and thats not including all the mapping appointments thereafter to get the most benefit from a CI. You might look into biCROS aids for SSD

Had my right CI for 10 years, left CI for 4 years. Much, much better than hearing aids.

Pros: Can hear a lot more, can understand people better, music is much more enjoyable.

Cons: Can hear a lot more....maintenance costs are high, antennas are easily dislocated if wearing helmets, hats, etc, if I sweat a lot (which I do), sweat gets into every little crevice.

My opinion: Don't get a CI if you have at least one ear that works fairly well with a hearing aid. Wait until hearing aids don't do anything anymore.

You need to force your brain to adapt to the CI, and the best way to do that is to use the CI ear only at all times. If your other ear works well with a hearing aid, you will be using that ear more than the CI ear.

The CI does not sound like what you hear with a hearing aid....it takes your brain several months to get used to it, and over time, in most people, it starts to sound normal.

Remember.....CI results vary all over the place....some folks get lucky, some do not, so it is a risky procedure and should only be used as a last resort.....

I'm pretty sure before any insurance, the CI surgery and equipment can cost tens of thousands of dollars.. and thats not including all the mapping appointments thereafter to get the most benefit from a CI. You might look into biCROS aids for SSD

I got copies of all bills paid to my doctor & the hospitals. First CI back in 2003 cost $70,000.......second CI back in 2010 cost $82,000 (included a second new processor for my first one).

Mappings today are $180 per visit.

If you don't have insurance, I've heard some folks got 25% to 40% discounts.

My health insurance doesn't pay for hearing aids (or my old plan didn't) but they do pay for CI's. I don't know how it works in your country though but if you can go online and see your benefits or call someone and ask you would at least know if you could get one.

Having a CI doesn't really feel any different than having a HA except for the headpiece, which you get used to wearing pretty quickly.

I have had my left ear CI for 13 years now, and it works quite well for me. I don't wear it as much anymore. I prefer just wearing my HA on my right ear. I wear my CI for work so I can get as much hearing as I can out of it.

I see my audiologist today and she said biCROS won't work for me :shock:

Back