How in the world??

nirenameit

Reaction score
My 1 year old daughter just got her first pair of hearing aides and i was wondering if anyone has any advice on how in the world to get her to keep them in! She pulls at them all the time and yanks them out. Also she might be a canidate for choclear implants and i was wondering if anyone can tell me whats involved in the procedure and what it will be like for her in the long run. Thank you!

keep the volume low and don't let her wear it in noisy place until she get use to it? my mom told me that I used throw my hearing aids out the car window because Ididn't like the sound of the car.

As for the cochlear question... It would be great for your daughter in the long run if she has a quite significant hearing loss. When they impant in your head, you lose all hearing in the ear they do it on. Some people get both sides done these days - I only have one side done (Just in case I need the other side someday). It worked great for me, and I will never regret it at all. Cochlear (Cochlear: innovator of the Nucleus Freedom cochlear implant system) is probably the one I would recommend. They are by far more advanced than the rest, and offer lifetime upgrades.

My 1 year old daughter just got her first pair of hearing aides and i was wondering if anyone has any advice on how in the world to get her to keep them in! She pulls at them all the time and yanks them out. Also she might be a canidate for choclear implants and i was wondering if anyone can tell me whats involved in the procedure and what it will be like for her in the long run. Thank you!

My mother bribed me with a box of chocolates and apparently after that I stopped taking them out.

But seriously you might want to check that the ear mold isn't too uncomfortable for her. If her skin is red and shows sign of soreness I would get it checked out.

nirenameit, just want to welcome you on board -- you will learn to ignore "them" -- you've come to the right place...

Thanks

Well the chocolate sounds like a good idea for a bribe, but i dont give my kids sweets so i think i will come up with something else to bribe her, lol. Thank you everyone for your input, your making things so much easier for me, im so glad i found this site!

As for the cochlear question... It would be great for your daughter in the long run if she has a quite significant hearing loss. When they impant in your head, you lose all hearing in the ear they do it on. Some people get both sides done these days - I only have one side done (Just in case I need the other side someday). It worked great for me, and I will never regret it at all. Cochlear (Cochlear: innovator of the Nucleus Freedom cochlear implant system) is probably the one I would recommend. They are by far more advanced than the rest, and offer lifetime upgrades.

I also highly recommend Advanced Bionics' Auria HiRes as well as upcoming new BTE and software, Harmony w/ Fidelity 120 (yes, 120 channels!) which I believe is most advanced than the rest. See what this Harmony Trial user says; hearmike - Mike Royer's Advanced Bionics HiRes 120 Harmony Experiences! 

rchaney, this is first time I said "most advanced than the rest" why? because I don't believe in brand wars so I wish you didn't utter that sentence in your post then I wouldn't have to say it.

Now, I believe all three are highly advanced technology products. so no need to put down others brands. Thanks!

note: when Mike Royer mention "HiRes 120" It is actually "HiRes Fidelity 120" a new sound processing software for the new Harmony HiResolution BTE and AB PSP (a bwp that is still compatible to run it)

Thank you for saying that, Boult! No need to start any brand wars...

The best suggestion when choosing a CI is to do your research. Join the various CI-related listservs and ask questions. Visit your local CI center and ask to be put in touch with other CI users.

When all is said and done, you can't go wrong with any of the 3 implant brands. Choice basically boils down to what features of any given CI fit your lifestyle best.

I love my Nucleus 24CA and Freedom, but I know AB and Med-El CI users who love their implants just as much as I do.

Good luck no matter what you decide! :)

Hi Nirenameit!

My 16 month daughter was implanted at 14 months... activated at 15 months.

She wore HAs from 10 months to her implant date. In the beginning she was great about wearing them, but in time she started pulling them out nonstop. For us, we believe it was because she stopped getting any benefit from them at all as her hearing regressed.

From what I have been told, you just need to be consistent and patient and keep putting them back in. Eventually she'll realize they are there to stay.

If you want some interesting CI info, visit the blog Cloggy set up for his daughter...

Lotte Sofie

I also have one for my daughter at:

Erin Toes and her Cochler Implant Journey

But I must say Cloggy's is much more informative!

I'd love to hear more about your daughter and how the last 12 months have progressed for you.

Well the chocolate sounds like a good idea for a bribe, but i dont give my kids sweets so i think i will come up with something else to bribe her, lol. Thank you everyone for your input, your making things so much easier for me, im so glad i found this site!

Are you from the UK out of curiosity? Your use of "sweets" was a clue. I'm British too although I'm in Australia now.

Lol

No im not from the UK, im from the USA. I guess you use the word sweets alot over there? My mother always called them sweets thats why i guess i use it. But i dont like giving them to my children. Im a health food addict, lol. And thank you everyone for your input on everything, i kinda feel like i have found a family here that can share in my problems, my happiness and in my adventures with my dd. And i really appreciate that from everyone!

Once again, Welcome!. As for teh CI surgery, It is actually a pretty safe procedure. It is sometimes doen on an outpatient basis.
Just to fill you in. Lilly was born with a profound loss. We tried the HA, they didnt work, we got the CI (freedom) and she has flourished! SHe had never really heard speech before the CI. Less than one month after surgery, she said her first word, "Uh-Oh". In just over one year of having the CI she has developed about 200 words, understands speech at a 3 1/2 year old level. And speaks at around a 2 year old level. Her progress is remarkable. Her teacher and speech therapist say her progress is "off the charts".
Be forewarned that evetones progress varies. I cannot emphsize how important it is for you to do your research. You have come to the right place for questions and support, but you must get out there on teh computer, talking to doctors, other deaf people (both CI and no CI) to form your opinion. Remember, there are alot of people that will try to prevent you from getting your child a CI. Others will try to push a CI down your throat. The important thing to remember is that this is your child you you must do what you feel is right/best for her. You are the one that wil;l have to sit down and explain to your kid why they are different than others when they ask. When your kid gets older, you are also the one that will have to justify your actions to your child. So be honest with yourself and your child.

sweets is a common word in USA too :)

Oh okay. For some reason I thought you used the word "candy" in the USA. Here in Australia they use the word "lollies" to cover all sweets/candy, not just lollies on a stick.

Lol

lol, sorry but reading what you wrote about lollies made me laugh. I have been talking to the doctors about CI and her HA's and which ones would work best for her. They have scheduled her for a CT and MRI in December to decide if shes a canidate for CI. In a way i think CI's would be best for her but at the same time i dont. I will have to do alot more thinking and research before i can make the final decsion on that one. Im just glad to hear everyones views on it so i can see the negative and postive and make the decision for myself.

Suckers, sweets, candy. We use all those terms.

I think sweets could be southern word though because I use that word all the time.

lol, sorry but reading what you wrote about lollies made me laugh. I have been talking to the doctors about CI and her HA's and which ones would work best for her. They have scheduled her for a CT and MRI in December to decide if shes a canidate for CI. In a way i think CI's would be best for her but at the same time i dont. I will have to do alot more thinking and research before i can make the final decsion on that one. Im just glad to hear everyones views on it so i can see the negative and postive and make the decision for myself.

Good idea. I think you'll find that your thoughts will shape further when you see how well she responds to the hearing aids over the next few months as well. If you see little or no response then it would make a CI decision a bit easier for you. Don't be afraid to ask for more time if you need it.

Suckers, sweets, candy. We use all those terms.

I think sweets could be southern word though because I use that word all the time.

They are a bit more genteel in the South is that right? Maybe they wanted to stick with English words because they were seen as more....genteel? Do you have many different words in the South compared to the North?

I guess so. Worsh was my mom's favorite word for Wash. :) we call anything "Yonder" Some of us call pants, breeches (you know the saying: "you are getting too big for your breeches"). I did marry a person who grew up in CT.

Back