How important is processor speed?

tuatara

pro-water
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's time for me to buy my next laptop. For most of what I use it for, the cheapest machine out there will serve me fine. I don't do any gaming or anything too demanding - mostly I'm typing and reading text, plus watching asl vlogs.

Except for videochatting on programs like skype. And I do get people telling me that I get blurry for them sometimes.

And one person told me that I should buy a computer with at least 2GHz processing speed.

I want to know if that seems right. I'm looking at Best Buy's Toshiba Satellite C55-15302. 2.4 GHz processor, 6GB RAM for $329.00. But I noticed that Toshiba is also selling a Satellite for $229.00 and the specs are the same except that the speed drops to 1.8 GHz and it only has 2GB of RAM. I'm not sure if I need those things on the better machine, if they're worth $100.00 difference or not. (I think I can get the other 4GB of RAM for $40 or so. If that's right I'm paying $60 for the faster processor. Argg. I don't know if I need it or not.)

Can anyone tell me?

I know my blurriness is not in my camera, because I can watch myself on the screen and my signing is clear. I have DSL (Can't find the exact details on that. I know it's not the cheapest one.) I wish I knew if it's about the processor speed or not.

Specs for both computers:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/satellite-15-6-laptop-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive/1689021.p?id=1219060689174&skuId=1689021&st=categoryid$pcmcat247400050000&cp=1&lp=1#tab=specifications

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/satellite-15-6-laptop-6gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive/1689182.p?id=1219060352357&skuId=1689182&st=categoryid$pcmcat247400050000&cp=1&lp=5#tab=specifications

My old laptop is also a Toshiba Satellite. It's lasted 4 years before starting to crash frequently.

How important is processor speed? Pretty. Damn. Important.

So are you saying that going from 1.8 to 2.4 GHz would make a difference for video clarity in an ASL chat? Or just being cheeky?

Thanks A Nihilist:)

I've been reading reviews online. I decided to try posting here because there are people here who sign via videochat software. Most of the online stuff differentiates between people who use their computer for email, facebook, some generic web surfing and that's it (needing nothing above the cheapest model's processing speed) VS people who do intense video editing or gaming with heavy graphic stuff going on (who have to shell out alot more cash), but no one is talking about skype etc. And even if they do, most skype users are non-signers who just like to look at each other's faces while they talk, which doesn't require keeping up with as much change in visual detail as signing does. So it's an odd detail I think most people probably haven't thought alot about. Except possibly here.

So I thought I'd take a shot and ask. But I'll keep reading out there too.

Seeing as how you want some kind of skype capability but don't care for the most powerful video computer maybe you can look at those review sites and look for a #3 or #4 rated graphics laptop? You obviously don't need #1 but a lesser rating would be good enough.

IMO, network speed makes a big difference, even if you have the most powerful graphics laptop it won't be any good if you have a crappy connection. You said you have a DSL connection right? Well if you want the best graphics possible over skype, see if you can look into cable, it's usually much faster than DSL.

I'm not in a position to change my internet provider and won't be for the foreseeable future, so I guess that's another way to phrase the question:

At 100mbs/sec*, is that slow enough that it wouldn't make a difference whether my processor speed is 1.8 or 2.4GHz?

I feel like there should be some way to just crunch the numbers and answer that, but I have no idea what the conversions would look like.

*Just found this. And I realize it's not always right, but it's at least a number to work with.

For $100 I'd really be tempted to get the better one ... the RAM alone is worth the extra cost when it comes to how well it will work for video etc.

I don't mean to be frustrating but it's not as simple as just looking at JUST the processor speed. There are other factors such as how fast the hard drive is, how much RAM it has, the quality of the mother board, etc....

I've seen computers with a faster processor speed and yet they work slower because the hard drive is slow. My home PC is 2.8 Ghz and yet it's waaaaaay faster than my work 2.6 Ghz laptop. We're not talking fractions of a second here. My home PC can load apps in less than a second while my laptop takes at least 3 seconds to load an app. In theory the speed difference should be really small but problem is that my home PC has a much faster hard drive and a faster video card. So it's a sum of its parts.

With that said, if you happened to find 2 virtually identical laptops with the ONLY difference being processor speed I would still get the 2.4 Ghz version since technology improves all the time and you might as well spend a little extra so you don't have to keep upgrading.

I don't mean to be frustrating but it's not as simple as just looking at JUST the processor speed. There are other factors such as how fast the hard drive is, how much RAM it has, the quality of the mother board, etc....

I've seen computers with a faster processor speed and yet they work slower because the hard drive is slow. My home PC is 2.8 Ghz and yet it's waaaaaay faster than my work 2.6 Ghz laptop. We're not talking fractions of a second here. My home PC can load apps in less than a second while my laptop takes at least 3 seconds to load an app. In theory the speed difference should be really small but problem is that my home PC has a much faster hard drive and a faster video card. So it's a sum of its parts.

With that said, if you happened to find 2 virtually identical laptops with the ONLY difference being processor speed I would still get the 2.4 Ghz version since technology improves all the time and you might as well spend a little extra so you don't have to keep upgrading.

Haha that's ok - I *expected* it to be frustrating. And I figured there would be factors other than the ones I was able to think of. I appreciate all your thoughts.

I'm not in a position to change my internet provider and won't be for the foreseeable future, so I guess that's another way to phrase the question:

At 100mbs/sec*, is that slow enough that it wouldn't make a difference whether my processor speed is 1.8 or 2.4GHz?

I feel like there should be some way to just crunch the numbers and answer that, but I have no idea what the conversions would look like.

*Just found this. And I realize it's not always right, but it's at least a number to work with.

that's a pretty dang fast internet connection. now you just need a pretty dang fast computer to go with it.

I'd go with fast processor + lotta ram + juicy video card..... and you're set.

It's time for me to buy my next laptop. For most of what I use it for, the cheapest machine out there will serve me fine. I don't do any gaming or anything too demanding - mostly I'm typing and reading text, plus watching asl vlogs.

Except for videochatting on programs like skype. And I do get people telling me that I get blurry for them sometimes.

And one person told me that I should buy a computer with at least 2GHz processing speed.

I want to know if that seems right. I'm looking at Best Buy's Toshiba Satellite C55-15302. 2.4 GHz processor, 6GB RAM for $329.00. But I noticed that Toshiba is also selling a Satellite for $229.00 and the specs are the same except that the speed drops to 1.8 GHz and it only has 2GB of RAM. I'm not sure if I need those things on the better machine, if they're worth $100.00 difference or not. (I think I can get the other 4GB of RAM for $40 or so. If that's right I'm paying $60 for the faster processor. Argg. I don't know if I need it or not.)

Can anyone tell me?

I know my blurriness is not in my camera, because I can watch myself on the screen and my signing is clear. I have DSL (Can't find the exact details on that. I know it's not the cheapest one.) I wish I knew if it's about the processor speed or not.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/satellite-15-6-laptop-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive/1689021.p?id=1219060689174&skuId=1689021&st=categoryid$pcmcat247400050000&cp=1&lp=1#tab=specifications

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/satellite-15-6-laptop-6gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive/1689182.p?id=1219060352357&skuId=1689182&st=categoryid$pcmcat247400050000&cp=1&lp=5#tab=specifications

My old laptop is also a Toshiba Satellite. It's lasted 4 years before starting to crash frequently.

I would strongly recommend you to go with Macbook Air. You'll be pretty much set for probably next 7 years. It's just that good.

another thing, quads at 'slower' is better than duals at 'faster' but not only that...
its the caches, 'temp memory inside the CPU is also a factors deciding how good a cpu is going to do a job and its ability to carry data payload...

a decent i5 (dual) is going to be better than a Pentium quad or AMD quad...

Comparing Dual-Core vs. Quad-Core CPUs | PCMag.com

everything is in here ..>
Differences between Dual Core, Core 2 Duo, Core i3 and Core i5-6xx - Intel i5 - CPUs

i would stay away from i3, amd phenoms, and cheap quads, id go for a mild i5 dual or quad, i7 is pricy, can forget the i7, its not 'budget cpu'

maybe amd phenom or quad but i know nothing about today's AMDs i like my i5 dual its FAST, and excellent cpu, and try get HP with i5 as HP's got a good motherboard for it,Toshiba used to be good but now I seem to hear it gets problems...Rams are cheap to upgrade...you can safely forget that one for now, but do get at least 2GB, 4GB, 6-8 is just 'selling points' ignore it if you can, look at whats a decent cpu...and graphics well...big 2gb graphics doesnt mean much, its the graphics core..but you seem not a gamer so i wont elaborate on this...just try get i5, leave out i3 if you can ( i feel i3 is a crippled i5, aka waste of time and AMD cheap quads is probably slightly better than i3s) , an i5 dual is very respectable and not stupidly priced - that's just my opinion

The requirement that I read on your first post, really it does not matter what CPU speed* you need technically. Today computer is good enough for average computing needs. The only thing that it is not enough is gaming, and graphic intensive application where one would doing movie making and photoshopping which you do not need or required. Whats point of shelling out grand where hundreds would do good job.

As for video conferencing, Speed of CPU really don't matter much, even build in graphic controller on motherboard will do the job just fine. What affects the video quality on videoconferencing (Skype, Ntouch, ooVoo, etc) is the quality of Networking connection. Its fact because I used to work for videoconferencing and the quality of Internet DOES makes difference. Same concept with TV, any TV will work fine as long as there is good connection, right? If there is blurry or poor video on TV, do we generally blame on TV? For years, we don't, we try to adjust antenna to get best video right? Same concept here. So, this part (Internet connection) is something we all CAN'T avoid since it is really a requirement rather than option unless your too hearing to care for video quality.

Google Notebook is more than enough what you need.

I am almost done with shopping for my son's xmas gift... a decent gamer computer. He wants gamer computer, he is tween right now, almost teenager, typical. He is in for a big surprise and will be confused because I will gift wrap each computer components, total about 10 I think, and will build his computer the day he opens his gifts. Its going to be fun and likely going to be my last time that I would build a computer.

* This isn't 90's and not used equipment. During '90s most important is memory (RAM) the more the better, and that was back then. Not anymore because RAM is now too cheap and widely available.

Back, i had a look at these two specs in the link you provided...

Toshiba Satellite 15.6" Laptop 4GB Memory 500GB Hard Drive C55-A5300 - Best Buy ryid$pcmcat247400050000&cp=1&lp=1#tab=specificatio ns

Toshiba Satellite 15.6" Laptop 6GB Memory 500GB Hard Drive C55-A5302 - Best Buy ryid$pcmcat247400050000&cp=1&lp=5#tab=specificatio ns

I would strongely stay away from them...these are OLD OLD and SLOW CPUs!!!!

they just buff it up with big rams (old DDR3, not too bad but still old)...and shit video/graphics//it might help but the CPUs are shoddy
Stay away from it...

try get a lappy with NEWER CPUs

like i3 or i5 (you don't need a i7)
or even an AMD quad if really tight

celeron and pentium is like 10 years old tech FORGET IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!
also Windows 8 slapped on with big rams is just their sneaky shitty ploy to rid of unsold Celerons, forget it

Windows 8 hasnt have been anyones favourite either

MAC Mini, isn't too bad. I have two of them. Don't buy one with 8GB RAM, they are overpriced. Get one with 2GB and buy memory stick of 8GB and you will be fine since they cost only 50 dollars comparing to 200 dollars more if buy MAC mini with 8GB :roll:

AMD would be better choice since OP isn't into gamer. You know, reading, doing word processing, maybe excel don't need much power. Even with Video conference as well.

Back, i had a look at these two specs in the link you provided...

Toshiba Satellite 15.6" Laptop 4GB Memory 500GB Hard Drive C55-A5300 - Best Buy ryid$pcmcat247400050000&cp=1&lp=1#tab=specificatio ns

Toshiba Satellite 15.6" Laptop 6GB Memory 500GB Hard Drive C55-A5302 - Best Buy ryid$pcmcat247400050000&cp=1&lp=5#tab=specificatio ns

I would strongely stay away from them...these are OLD OLD and SLOW CPUs!!!!

they just buff it up with big rams (old DDR3, not too bad but still old)...and shit video/graphics//it might help but the CPUs are shoddy
Stay away from it...

try get a lappy with NEWER CPUs

like i3 or i5 (you don't need a i7)
or even an AMD quad if really tight

celeron and pentium is like 10 years old tech FORGET IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!
also Windows 8 slapped on with big rams is just their sneaky shitty ploy to rid of unsold Celerons, forget it

Windows 8 hasnt have been anyones favourite either

Back