How Ignorant!

lcstamper

Reaction score
OMG! Rod Moser, PA, PhD, is a primary care physician assistant with more than 35 years of clinical experience in adult and pediatric health and practices full-time clinically in Northern California stated, "Our local School for the Deaf will provide sign interpreters at no charge, but the deaf patient must make those arrangements in advance." That may be a violation of ADA regulations!

Language Challenges in Clinical Practice « Family Webicine

Maybe he needs to be informed of his responsibility.

Last edited:
OMG! Rod Moser, PA, PhD, is a primary care physician assistant with more than 35 years of clinical experience in adult and pediatric health and practices full-time clinically in Northern California stated, "Our local School for the Deaf will provide sign interpreters at no charge, but the deaf patient must make those arrangements in advance." That may be a violation of ADA regulations!

Language Challenges in Clinical Practice « Family Webicine
Like your title said, he's ignorant. Apparently he knows no shit about ADA. That's unheard of for deaf students being responsible for making appts with an interpreting service at school.

Wow, that is one clueless dude! I don't care if he is a PhD and has 35 years of experience. He is way off base.

And they pay their certified Spanish interpreters $5.00 per hour?! Whoopee! Of course, the sign language terps do it for free. Unbelievable. :mad:

At least he is "careful to overly articulate for the lip readers." Give me a break!

Oh he is clueless, in a way, alright. But what about those in the deaf community that are also clueless and hurt all deaf by their action? I need more than two hands and two feet to count the number of times I've dealt with medical providers and other service providers that have told me, "We were not expecting to provide an interpreter because we did not know!" Yes, they knew about the laws, and would have complied, but they did not know the person needed an interpreted schedule because they were not informed. ADA requires "reasonable" accommodation and most of the deaf I know think that means to the deaf person's comfort and accommodation. They give no consideration to the professionals' need to KNOW in order to schedule an interpreter, the professional services are not mind readers. Look at it this way, many, many professional service will CHARGE a hearing person for missing an appointment (rightfully so) but think about the deaf who shows up and there is no interpreter there BECAUSE the office was not informed to schedule one. Who pays? Certainly it is not the office's fault but this is a totally wasted appointment for the professional service. So I think all of us here on AD need to take a stand for deaf rights while kicking in the ass those deaf that don't do THEIR responsiblity. After all, these deaf make the rest of us look bad.

Oh he is clueless, in a way, alright. But what about those in the deaf community that are also clueless and hurt all deaf by their action? I need more than two hands and two feet to count the number of times I've dealt with medical providers and other service providers that have told me, "We were not expecting to provide an interpreter because we did not know!" Yes, they knew about the laws, and would have complied, but they did not know the person needed an interpreted schedule because they were not informed. ADA requires "reasonable" accommodation and most of the deaf I know think that means to the deaf person's comfort and accommodation. They give no consideration to the professionals' need to KNOW in order to schedule an interpreter, the professional services are not mind readers. Look at it this way, many, many professional service will CHARGE a hearing person for missing an appointment (rightfully so) but think about the deaf who shows up and there is no interpreter there BECAUSE the office was not informed to schedule one. Who pays? Certainly it is not the office's fault but this is a totally wasted appointment for the professional service. So I think all of us here on AD need to take a stand for deaf rights while kicking in the ass those deaf that don't do THEIR responsiblity. After all, these deaf make the rest of us look bad.
LOL! Are you embarrassed by deaf people's actions? I am not. How do their actions affect your life? What I do is to do my thing and not to worry about them since it's their problem, not mine. "Hey, deafie, it's your fault that someone looked down on me because of what you did to him or her." Ridiculous and immature just like them!

I admit, I just skimmed the article... I don't really want to read it but you seem upset at his "ignorance" that Deaf people need to request an interpreter in advance.

Err, they do...

Small businesses like acupuncture, support groups, sometimes dentists, etc are not always required to provide interpreters and brief meetings with non-urgent information don't require interpreters.

If the school wants to provide free interpreters, that's great! Interpreters ARE expensive. Respectfully, I ask... what's the problem?

In the big city or big town where they have interpreter services which the medical providers can make plan to have an interpreter for the the patient. Yes, it is still ADA laws that the medical providers have to obey. But if I live in a small village or in another small town on the island, then it is better to write it down on papers or maybe even use the note pad on the computer to type it for communication between the doctor and me. It help. I tried to lipread but it is better with paper and pens or type on notepad in computer. It is difficult that we can not get interpreter for a very short time. :hmm:

I saw it news I reading!

damn it!! not fair interpreter I know interpreter

I knew already interpreter poor!

language changelle ? what do

law is act give you ADA serious!

Back