How I lost a friend or rather friend lost me....

Yesterday on Facebook, my friend wrote that she took the bus. When she got off the bus, there was a big fire at a building nearby. Apparently, one of the construction worker had an accident with a welding equipment causing fire. Key word is accident.

I wrote on her post asking if the worker would face disciplinary action or maybe even be terminated.

My friend was furious. She thought that I was trying to be funny. I don't see how I was being funny. I am sure a lot of people would have a similar question like I do. Maybe it was a stupid question, but it was not funny or anything like that. She called me idiot and decided she didn't want to be my friend.

Some people over react. If I posted this note on your Facebook post, what would you think?
Seems to me that she overreacted.

I also agree it was an overreaction. If anyone had been harmed or hurt it would have been communicated/conveyed in the original conversation/post as it would have been important. Since it wasn't mentioned my next logical thought would have been just like OP's. To incur wrath for a simple question in regards to an accident is overly sensitive, or over the top.

no idea but my brother just recently lost his college friend. he went to wake today because his friend hung herself due to severe depression. sad.

How this is something to be very sad about and not some person on facebook that dumped you. I am very sorry to hear about this , I was becoming friends with a woman and really liked her. One of her friends when to wake her up and found her dead. She shot herself through her mouth with a rifle. I feel bad for your brother and the woman's family .

I've been in the working world since age 13. And have a union.. if u asked me, I would have understood where u werencoming from as employees do get terminated even for "accidents" I would have said depends on if the worker is union, if it was private company etc. Sounds like your friend is immature and inexperienced. Or simply assumed your question in the wrong concept. Either way u need more mature friends who give u a chance to explain yourself. Doesn't sound like u lost a real friend.

I do not know how much the Chicago area has changed since I was a union construction worker there in mid 80's. Then if you were welding on a building of course you were union and of course you would probably get moved to another jobsite as worst case punishment. So I figure you must have some kind of idiocy going on not to understand... not really, ok?

I could answer well she is a woman you know how they are. I would then get the official idiot label and save you the painful burden.

Or better yet I can tell you that being nice anyway is a valor of its own. She said what she did and you said what you said and somehow it became a misunderstanding. Be nice anyway. It is not really a big deal.

I don't think it really has anything to do with personality per se. I think it's more to do with forthrightness, not bluntness. I had been accused of being too forthright a few times. I still haven't mastered the art of bandying about before getting to the point. Many if not most deaf/hoh people have problems of appearing too forthright and rubbing hearing people the wrong way.

I'm hearing and I'm very blunt and forthright. I am accused of being insensitive and confrontational constantly. Really I just want to get the point as quickly as possible. Some people like being quick and to the point and other people don't know how to handle that. I lost a job once because a woman I worked for thought I was too direct but I always thought I was polite to her. I think it becomes part of your personality as you grow up. I grew up in a family that never shuts up so I have to make my point very quickly or say nothing. My mother tells a story for an hour that I could have said in 5 minutes. Drives me crazy.

Back