How I Feel in the Hearing World

Dramatic Angel

Reaction score
Here's a video I made describing my life as a deaf person (made for my growing fans on social networking sites) called "Learn ASL As I Learn ASL! Life as a Deaf Girl." I'm not fluent in ASL, but my signing has improved.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8ed1OCLFOM]Learn ASL As I Learn ASL! Life as a Deaf Girl - YouTube[/ame]

Discuss: How do you feel in the Hearing world as opposed to the Deaf world?

Not bad quality seems, Good job for you cheer. it is seem improve it is bit improve your skills sign language it bit try slow ASL. It is quality improve speed sign language. I notice you pretty good improve clear good ASL!

Not bad quality seems, Good job for you cheer. it is seem improve it is bit improve your skills sign language it bit try slow ASL. It is quality improve speed sign language. I notice you pretty good improve clear good ASL!

Okay, thanks! I'll try to improve my speed. :D

We both are exactly opposed. I don't get along with deaf people very well but I get along with hearing people better. Glad that you found your own identity. :)

We both are exactly opposed. I don't get along with deaf people very well but I get along with hearing people better. Glad that you found your own identity. :)

Haha, really? :giggle: How come you can get along with hearing people better?

I just realised the OP is likely the closest member to me that I have seen, I'm not too far from Bristol. :wave:

I generally feel I don't belong in either the hearing world or the deaf one.

I have been in both worlds. There are good and bad in both worlds. Sometimes I feel like I fit in. Sometimes not.

No captions so I don't understand what you're saying. I don't know ASL either even though I'm HoH.

My experience on the deaf vs hearing world is that it depends on the person not the disability. I've met deaf assholes and have met really funny and warm hearing people. And vice versa.

I've been to deaf conventions with AG Bell and have found that deaf kids are just like hearing kids in that they like teenager stuff like dating, playing video games, etc.... The only difference is the disability and how they communicate.

IMO I don't agree that deaf people should be isolated to only interacting with deaf people. At least for me, I like how I inspire by example to hearing people that your disabilities don't have to limit you; I can't talk on the phone and can barely hear anything and yet I have my own house, car, job, etc....

EDIT: I didn't realize you had a transcription in the youtube page so I read it. Well I am sorry that you feel isolated and all. Do you even read lips? My hearing is really bad and I can't hear well at all in noisy cafeterias. But it's an advantage in loud settings such as night clubs, factories in that I don't have to hear everything; I just have to read their lips and I get them.

No captions so I don't understand what you're saying. I don't know ASL either even though I'm HoH.

My experience on the deaf vs hearing world is that it depends on the person not the disability. I've met deaf assholes and have met really funny and warm hearing people. And vice versa.

I've been to deaf conventions with AG Bell and have found that deaf kids are just like hearing kids in that they like teenager stuff like dating, playing video games, etc.... The only difference is the disability and how they communicate.

IMO I don't agree that deaf people should be isolated to only interacting with deaf people. At least for me, I like how I inspire by example to hearing people that your disabilities don't have to limit you; I can't talk on the phone and can barely hear anything and yet I have my own house, car, job, etc....

EDIT: I didn't realize you had a transcription in the youtube page so I read it. Well I am sorry that you feel isolated and all. Do you even read lips? My hearing is really bad and I can't hear well at all in noisy cafeterias. But it's an advantage in loud settings such as night clubs, factories in that I don't have to hear everything; I just have to read their lips and I get them.

I find lip reading to be hard and having lived most of my life hearing, I find it odd to stare at people's lips, just feels weird to me. My ASL is very limited and there is no chance to improve it as I don't know anyone else around me that knows ASL.

I too can't hear in noisy places, my hearing people becomes harder and harder as background noise increases, but I have been trying to master lip reading, so far no luck. When I sit in class, I try to read the professor's lips, but they always turn away, ruining my attempt to read them. Luckily I have a mic the professor wears and I can turn the volume up on my end, but I have to max the volume out to understand them. The biggest issue with that mic thing is whenever they walk near metal or an electronic device, it produces loads of static and makes it hard to understand.

The OP should know, as a fellow HoH person that has been dependent on hearing all my life until the past few years where it has progressively declined, it is a very isolating thing. I was never very social, but with the continued loss of my hearing, it has made being independent more difficult and she, like me needs to try and figure this whole thing out, find new ways as I'm attempting to deal with my loss.

Awesome. Thank you for sharing your vlog here. I can understand where you are coming from. I am in the Deaf world however I have hearing family and hearing children and still get along well with hearing people. If I want to chat and chill all day, then hang out with Deaf friends.

I have been in both worlds. There are good and bad in both worlds. Sometimes I feel like I fit in. Sometimes not.

*sigh* I feel like I am stuck in between worlds and I fit no where much of the time. I don't understand why everyone just can't get along. Deaf is deaf. Only difference between people who have late onset deafness and those born deaf is that those with late onset deafness know what they've lost and what they are missing....which in my experience is a hell of a lot harder to deal with.

Learning to sign and dealing with assholes who make fun of you and the way you talk is no picnic. I went from being looked at as a person to being treated like I am less than a whole person...treated more like I am damaged or broken and therefore of no use to society or anyone.

Then, I get people who are deaf from birth treating me like I don't fit in their world either. I am DEAF. I have to use closed captioning to watch a movie or a T.V. show. I am primarily 'voice off' most of the time anymore because I can't hear myself and have no volume control. I sign ASL. Also learning BSL and other forms of sign language.

I was hearing, now I'm deaf. That's the way it is. Finding my own niche and friends. :ty:

Back