How I do setup my own server

jessewhitelaw

Reaction score
How I do setup my own server
Reason i need set up server for website for me and my dad because so i can able get some stuff from home server to anywhere like my school or work ETC
so server will have website by design by me
Please teach me how easy way not many words just tell me easy way i will do it but i tried read website they not helpful i do not understand about it if someone know how set up them own server please tell me how to do if you know Please! :fingersx:

Setting up a server?

I must ask what do you want the web server to do for you?

If you are just thinking of a normal web/file server, by all means go with Novell Netware 6.5.
Its extremely secured, it uses Apache.

Windows 2003 is pretty cool since their IIS is extremely easy to use but you need to lock down
your IIS before you go public with your web server. Microsoft's technet provides tons of support on how to protect your IIS server.

Enjoy,
-Christopher

Also if you use any *nix based os, you can run your own server. It does require a lot of hard work and you'd need to sudo some stuff and use sudo very carefully! I use the OS X.

Another suggestion, is use Yahoo briefcase. That way, you can have your own "personal" file server. I use them alot when looking for job. Much easier using their briefcase.

Ok, but one problem... if your at remote location and your server went down. What can you do? Ofc NOTHING but go back to where server is. While Yahoo, they rarely went down because they always have back up and always stays up. That is something to think about.

i dont want from other server i like my own server better bec it going heavy use

Novell Netware 6.5 allows you to setup a cluster server without any additional licenses right out of the box. You will need two server platforms hooked up to a SAN with several hard drives. No matter how you do this, its going to cost you money.

Also, Netware 6.5 includes iFolder which allows you to backup your
laptop files remotely via Internet.

It also includes NetStorage which is similiar to FTP but its web-based. Extremely simple to use. You can also set it up to use FTP only.

All that is required is that you have a static IP address and of course
a good firewall.

Regards,
Christopher

Ok, but one problem... if your at remote location and your server went down. What can you do? Ofc NOTHING but go back to where server is. While Yahoo, they rarely went down because they always have back up and always stays up. That is something to think about.

there nothing worry about i had domain name on it for 2 pc we have 2 system with apache with 2 ip address to domain which both will work same time if one down other still up i will be fine bec both have same files soon i will place to hardwire from wireless and we have a power battary when power outage for 2 min and system still up running

Back