How I can become better at ASL

Jordan

Reaction score
I am a hearie, I have been learning english since I could talk. Now, I am finding myself in this whole new language of ASL. I kinda understand the basis of the formation, its a lot like written Spanish(still no help there, couldnt make an A in high school if my life depended on it).

Can you all tell me some of the spoken as well as written rules for ASL?

Thanks,
Jordan

PS: Tommorrow, ASL begining 2, I start I. (oh boy:|)

It does help to actually use it more often. How about going to a bar, club, or party with deaf people?

Deaf clubs in Dallas

I don't know how old you are, but I found two Deaf groups in Dallas by going through Yahoo. You can also try contacting Texas Association for the Deaf or TAD in Dallas.

This is what I found on Yahoo: deafwebsites.com and deafconnect.com. I've taken 25 college classes related to ASL and Deaf culture in the last ten years, but am not fluent. It takes time, patience, and getting out in the Deaf community. It CAN be done. Hang in there. :lol:

Jordan said:
I start I.

Well, first of all, ditch the redundant pronoun reduplication. You’ll never see it in real life, at least not here on the west coast. How the fuck it got into the textbooks in the first place is beyond me. You must be using the ABC book, right?

Levonian said:
Well, first of all, ditch the redundant pronoun reduplication. You’ll never see it in real life, at least not here on the west coast. How the fuck it got into the textbooks in the first place is beyond me. You must be using the ABC book, right?

I've seen this in a bunch of textbooks and it didn't make sense to me (although I'm too new to judge anything ASL related).

While I'm grasping ASL grammar structure, I never understood the pronoun at the end. Why not sign 'I Happy' instead of 'I Happy I'. Again, I'm very new so my comment is more of a question.

I’ve seen it in a few textbooks, most notably this one. I have never seen a native signer use this syntactical form. I’ll look it up in the Gallaudet Green Book series and see if I can find out anything about its origins and/or historical significance.

You betcha I have the ABC book. Its the only one I have so far, and all the ASL taught is with redundant pronouns. (I never thought of that until now)

Jordan

Jordan

I'm not sure where you are taking classes (HS or college), but at my school I took four classes before starting to learn about ASL structure. You need to build your vocabulary first, learn about the culture, then worry about the differences between English and ASL. It doesn't come overnight.

I've never heard of repeating the pronoun. I learned that it's topic first, then comment or description. EX: Math class I can't understand. Hate it!

Jordan said:
You betcha I have the ABC book. Its the only one I have so far, and all the ASL taught is with redundant pronouns. (I never thought of that until now)

Jordan

My Parent used to have a sign language book of "The Joy of Signing" That book is very helpful, (You could get that book at Harris Communcation or Barnes & Noble book store.) I also taught my sisters and brother and my sons sign language also.
1670797.gif

Cheri said:
My Parent used to have a sign language book of "The Joy of Signing" That book is very helpful, (You could get that book at Harris Communcation or Barnes & Noble book store.) I also taught my sisters and brother and my sons sign language also.
1670797.gif

yes it is helpful but dont u think its kinda outdated? i mean most of signs in there were english... where u use letters in signs..? that wouldnt be ASL? just asking i would have recommend another book that helps but i do not know the name of the book and will have to do a little research :)

SpiceHD said:
yes it is helpful but dont u think its kinda outdated? i mean most of signs in there were english... where u use letters in signs..? that wouldnt be ASL? just asking i would have recommend another book that helps but i do not know the name of the book and will have to do a little research :)

The Letters are in the front page of that book, Yes it is a very old book but I still use those signs, nothing changes. They still sell those books nowdays. I brought my friend that book recently last year and she learned signs from that book and I also taught her the bad words too. :lol:

cool.. i honestly dont know if its still good ... i learned english then i learned ASL from school.. i do not know how much ASL that book uses? *shrugs* :)

ASL video series

Jordan

There's a series of ASL videos called, "The Bravo Family." It's about 18 tapes with signs and information on Deaf culture and history. The series covers a number of topics and is easy enough for even the beginner to understand. I thought that they were better than "Joy of Signing". The series is also available on DVD. Your public library may have a set. Good luck.

Cheri said:
The Letters are in the front page of that book, Yes it is a very old book but I still use those signs, nothing changes. They still sell those books nowdays. I brought my friend that book recently last year and she learned signs from that book and I also taught her the bad words too. :lol:

I too have heard that this book is outdated. I don't know how often signs evolve, but I've heard it mentioned before.

www.lifeprint.com

That's all I have to say right here. Great resource!

Oh, and I love the books that Mickey Flodin does. The pictures are illustrated and described clearly. This won't help so much with grammar, though, but individual words.

The best thing I've seen for grammar is:
Learning American Sign Language
(I have the second edition)
Levels I & II
Beginning & Intermediate
by: Tom Humphries and Carol Padden
Illustrated by: Rob Hills, Peggy Lott, and Daniel W. Renner

^It's supposed to come with a video, but ours didn't. But either way, the grammar is more ASL than SE. So much so that it's a bit confusing at times for a relatively new signer like myself. Then again... As a new-ish signer I can't say that the grammar is correct for sure.... Hmm.

Last edited:
Geez, I do NOT like that book "The Joy of Signing"
:nono:

The Joy of Signing is still being sold in bookstores, both online, public and college. I know some of you are saying it's outdated, but many peeps still feel its a good beginner's book for those who are learing sign, or just want to learn sign to be able to communicate with friends.

They do update the Joy of Signing from time to time, so it's not always outdated.

If you look carefully at the book in bookstore you will see the word REVISION on the cover or inside front page.

I have the Joy of Signing, and would and still do recommond the book.

It's a good starter book.

I agree!

Hi Taylor,
I agree with Vamoprox.
The best way for you to get better in ASL find out where the deaf hang out.
Go there and you'll learn more ASL.
I've know sign language for 30 yrs.(ASL).
Thats how I learned ASL from the deaf.
Good Luck!
Margie
PS:I'm an interpreter too.

Back