How homes kept cool before the age of AC

It's extremely hot here this week 111 degrees tomorrow. I am so very thankful for AC and fans.

My dog is very thankful for fans too ! I will put one on the floor for Marty to lay in front of and he will fall asleep in no time . :giggle:

My dog is very thankful for fans too ! I will put one on the floor for Marty to lay in front of and he will fall asleep in no time . :giggle:

I have fans and A/C going, but it's actually too much, so guess I'll turn the A/C off til bedtime. I need it most for sleeping.

Off topic, but WDYS, who is the little boy in your avatar? Cute pic!

I have fans and A/C going, but it's actually too much, so guess I'll turn the A/C off til bedtime. I need it most for sleeping.

Off topic, but WDYS, who is the little boy in your avatar? Cute pic!

That a famous photo of a little boy hearing for first time with his hearing aid. An audi had a photo in his office and I just loved it .

Yeah, I'm told many houses in WA state don't have A/C. My brother lives not far from Seattle had his new house built and installed A/C. He said he did it to keep his wife happy, not cranky. lol It is worth it.
On the Eastern side of the state I'd say most people do have A/C. It gets flipping hot there in the summer (100s aren't uncommon). West of the mountains it's less common. I'd say maybe one in three have A/C? If that? And then those who have it probably only run it a few weeks most years.

It does seem to be getting more common in new construction though. I was definitely wishing I had A/C a couple weeks ago, and this week is supposed to be in the 90s again, so ya... I don't blame your brother for having it, even if you only use it a few times a year, it'd be worth it. I do prefer the fresh air over A/C when it's not crazy hot out though.

how did they keep foods and drinks cool back in the old west days?

they don't keep drinks cool back then. but for food... a chunk of ice. other countries keep their food cool by storing it in a container (pottery) and buried it.

I don't live in the old west days, but do live in the northeast. I remember the ice box on the back porch when I was a child, had no refrigerator, the ice man came around and delivered a huge chunk of ice probably once a week.

That was an exciting day as we kids gathered around and the guy would throw us a chunk of ice that had broken off. Don't recall how we played with it, probably sucked on it. Didn't take much to amuse kids "back in the day"! :lol:

I don't live in the old west days, but do live in the northeast. I remember the ice box on the back porch when I was a child, had no refrigerator, the ice man came around and delivered a huge chunk of ice probably once a week.

That was an exciting day as we kids gathered around and the guy would throw us a chunk of ice that had broken off. Don't recall how we played with it, probably sucked on it. Didn't take much to amuse kids "back in the day"! :lol:

I didn't use one but have seen them. And back in the 1960's when renting an upstairs apartment where the couple that owned the place lived downstairs the wife of the couple said to live normally and not worry about noise. To illustrate she then mentioned a time years before that when ice was delivered upstairs and slid off the table while they were opening the icebox. Her card club happened to be meeting downstairs at the same time!

I can remember the ice man coming on my street the kids would want a piece of ice and he gave us a small piece. Yeah I bet we had a better imagination then b/c we had no ipad
or texting then and read books to pass time on rainy days.

My parents house was built 1880, tall 10' ceilings, transoms above every door, double hung windows...etc...
We lived here since 1970, no ac just window fans and box fans and it was actually very nice even in the 100 degree summers.

St. Louis TV has mentioned several times the way brick holds the heat once it heats up during a heat wave and can be a real problem in the summer. St. Louis becomes a "heat island" because of the number of brick structures.

Any city retains heat due to brick homes and all the concrete walks, paved streets, thats why the countryside is cooler for the lack of them and more grass/trees. Concrete Jungle verses the Country side.
I live in St. Louis, born and raised here. I am exactly 15 minutes walking distance to the Arch.

Ice chest or underground cellar.

There is also a really cool read on a powerless fridge made with clay pots and sand and water... Ill find and post for you.

Mr Joker....
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nctr9xJIxUs[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmb-kCcDLxQ[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioGbcEFRTiQ[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITtlxjvLQis[/ame]

I wonder what happens you use dry ice? :hmm:

Back